Sue Raney does Scopitone

Larry Kart

But sersiously folks, that's a pretty nifty production in that genre. Did a little research and found this:

alive.jpg

http://www.sueraney.org/liners/aliveliner.html

Track List

Track 1: Who's Afraid 2:20:7

Track 2: Any Old Time Of The Day 2:1:18

Track 3: I'm Looking (Uh-Huh) 2:19:47

Track 4: Little Things Mean A Lot 3:7:33

Track 5: Once Upon A Time Impossible 2:5:59

Track 6: Always Something There To Remind Me 2:30:64

Track 7: Now Is The Hour 2:34:42

Track 8: Before The Rain 2:33:69

Track 9: Smile 2:58:74

Track 10: My Love, My Love 2:43:7

Track 11: Goodbye Darling, Hello Friend 2:22:74

Track 12: Walk On By 2:35:3

Liner Note

To look at her is delight. She sparkles with excitement and possesses warmth and depth. When she enters a room she brings an aura of freshness and exhilaration. She is girl, yet she is woman. There is more, she sings and feels. To hear her is delight. Her voice is soft, yet can express emotions from the highest to the lowest. She is a musician in that she has that intuitive sense which provides a timbre and vibrancy plus excellent phrasing. Her versatility runs the full course from the plaintiveness of "Who's Afraid" through the difficult rhythmic patterns of "Any Old Time Of Day." And she has command and assurance. Whether it be a standard or current tune, both are fortunate when they receive her interpretation and touch. For example, listen to "Smile" and you will. She is voice and feeling. She is music and song. She is alive. She is Sue Raney.

-Richard Oliver

Personnel

Ralph Carmichael conducting studio orchestra. Arr: Ralph Carmichael, Eddie Karam, Gene Page.

Hey....

Dreamsville is wonderful.

Raney did a few sides for Capitol with Nelson Riddle doing hte charts, and they're all dandy, what with Riddle upping his game just a little bit, always a sign of his respect for the musicianship of the talent. That's borne out by the fact that for years, Raney was Riddle's female vocalist for his assorted pick-up gigs where he'd front an orchestra playing his book for various social functions.

So yeah, Sue Raney's got skills, no doubt.

odd and terribly outdated for sure, but "impossibly creepy?" i don't follow you.

You didn't find that Mr. Rogers-like guy creepy as he awkwardly hauls Raney down on the lawn? And the way the kissing is staged, even without the fact that Raney's vocal continues through the lip-lock? And the dancers and their outfits?

BTW, isn't "Dreamsville" (the piece itself) rather Strayhorn-esque?

You didn't find that Mr. Rogers-like guy creepy as he awkwardly hauls Raney down on the lawn? And the way the kissing is staged, even without the fact that Raney's vocal continues through the lip-lock? And the dancers and their outfits?

Dude, watch it again - she pulls him down.

What I found kinda creepy was the little post-it notes washing down the gutter with things like LOVE & LUST handwritten on them. The rest of it was pretty much cheesy imo, not so much creepy as just plain Ed Wood-ish bad.

I do like that record, though. Never heard it before. Very much a period thing, but very nicely so.

What I found kinda creepy was the little post-it notes washing down the gutter with things like LOVE & LUST handwritten on them. The rest of it was pretty much cheesy imo, not so much creepy as just plain Ed Wood-ish bad.

I do like that record, though. Never heard it before. Very much a period thing, but very nicely so.

Actually, I just looked again and was about to correct my last post. And that it's she who hauls him down seems much creepier than the other way around. Don't want to go too far in constructing scenarios, but it's as though it's her job to do this, and that he ain't that willing ... or even able. And those post-it notes washing down the gutter -- definitely. Also, in the opening shot of Raney, she has a kind of Angie Dickinson vibe, no?

Now, if it's really kinda creepy you want out of a Scopitone, try this: Kay Starr - Wheel Of Fortune

Then again, it's the oddity of the whole Scopitone production values that keep them "interesting" today, no? So many of them play like stag films trying to not be stag films. That's always gonna be awkward, like walking up to the altar to take communion with a hardon you get from watching the minister's daughter a few pews in front of you...

But ok, here's a truly creepy Scopitone:

It's like Devo before anybody even thought about Devo, and if that's not a disturbing notion...

BTW, isn't "Dreamsville" (the piece itself) rather Strayhorn-esque?

I agree; the bridge especially. Lots of big intervals and intricate harmony. Not an easy one to sing, but she nailed it. I got nervous when she started to scat on the ending, but she nailed that too. :)

Always have liked that tune.

Actually, I just looked again and was about to correct my last post. And that it's she who hauls him down seems much creepier than the other way around. Don't want to go too far in constructing scenarios, but it's as though it's her job to do this, and that he ain't that willing ... or even able. And those post-it notes washing down the gutter -- definitely. Also, in the opening shot of Raney, she has a kind of Angie Dickinson vibe, no?

awesome. i've never heard Raney. she sounds great.

as for her pulling him down - this came out in 1966, right? seems like it may have been, overall, pretty racy for back then. and her being the one that essentially wants to get on with gettin' it on may be a sign of the impending (already happening) women's lib movement of the 60s/70s. or am i reading too much into it? :rolleyes:

and i don't think it's creepy either. i think it's kinda hot, and i assume it was supposed to be (is that ok to say on this board? i'm a newbie - be gentle...). but i could see how it would come off as creepy for some. time warp. for me it comes off as somewhat surreal and stilted, like a repressive but not altogether unpleasant (pardon the double negative) acid trip. yeah - those notes floating down the stream (flame, lust, passion, man, woman...). hilarious! and those dancers - they're like the most awkward and least suggestive go go dancers in history! check them out especially at 1:29. LMFAO!

but "Dreamville." another story obviously. beautiful. and that arrangement - i love the bones.

i think it's kinda hot, and i assume it was supposed to be (is that ok to say on this board? i'm a newbie - be gentle...).

That's always gonna be awkward, like walking up to the altar to take communion with a hardon you get from watching the minister's daughter a few pews in front of you...

Welcome aboard, and draw your own conclusions! :g

Now, if it's really kinda creepy you want out of a Scopitone, try this: Kay Starr - Wheel Of Fortune

Oh my God.

BTW, I've got a late-ish Kay Starr album with a small group that includes Red Norvo and Jimmy Rowles that is one of the great jazz vocal recordings IMO. Starr could really improvise -- some of her choices are so in-the-moment they're scary -- and her sense of swing was unreal, if you don't mind the country-ish overlap (and you shouldn't).

It's "Back To the Roots" (GNP) from 1969.

Full personnel (one heck of a band):

Georgie Auld - Tenor sax

Monty Budwig - Bass

Red Callender - Bass

Stix Hooper - Drums

Barney Kessel - Guitar

Blue Mitchell - Trumpet

Red Norvo - Vibraphone

Jimmy Rowles - Piano

Al Viola - Guitar

Clips here:

http://www.emusic.com/album/Kay-Starr-Back...d/10595358.html