Emily Remler recordings....how many? names?

Yes. A google or other search engine will bring up their names. They're almost all uniformly excellent. All the Concords are really worth hearing.

Another person whose demons got the better of them, perhaps. Mine just keep on getting the mediocre of me and swelling it up. :)

Edited by jazzbo

There are quite a few Emily Remler records listed on amazon. The Youtube clips of her are great, too. There's an excellent radio show on Emily available in the archives of Night Lights from WFIU, which you probably know about if you live in Bloomington.

These are her releases as a leader or co-leader:

Firefly 1981

Take Two 1982

Transitions 1983

Catwalk 1984

Together with Larry Coryell, 1985

East to Wes 1988

This is Me 1990

Transitions and Catwalk are my two favorites.

In addition, I recommend the Richie Cole/Hank Crawford CD Bossa International, which is a live recording featuring Emily Remler.

I can tell you that two great players, Don Thompson and Terry Clarke who played and recorded with her (Take Two, Concord CJ195), and who know guitarists -- Jim Hall, Ed Bickert, Lorne Lofsky, Reg Schwager and others, both thought she was terrific.

I remember interviewing her, and she was quite nice: shy and restrained, though I'm told could be wild under the influence. She was married (well, you know...) to Monty Alexander, and I think their breakup was over her chemical activities.

Here's a link to her last performance/recording that I know of...from Melbourne, Australia, just a week before her death in Sydney.

There are quite a few Emily Remler records listed on amazon. The Youtube clips of her are great, too. There's an excellent radio show on Emily available in the archives of Night Lights from WFIU, which you probably know about if you live in Bloomington.

Thanks for the mention, Bill--IJA, here's the link:

Emily Remler: a Musical Remembrance

Also check out this great Emily Remler website, which has rundowns on her dates both as a leader and as a side or guest artist.