MLB 2009 Season

Well I don't mind taking credit for jinxing the Rangers.

I don't know how this compares to the 9-0 Baltimore game that turned into 10-9. Down 11-0 at home, three innings to make it 11-10, then lose 18-10? I don't think "we were supposed to lose anyway" covers it.

But I'll take a four game WC lead, five over Tampa. And we do have Lester, Beckett and Buchholz slated to face the Rays starting Tuesday, which is better than Tazawa or Byrd going.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Apparently Kenny Williams is so disgusted with his underachieving ball club that he's put almost everyone on waivers. This includes, but is not necessarily limited to Jim Thome, Jermaine Dye, Paul Konerko and Jose Contreras. Apparently, the Dodgers have already put in a claim on Thome and the Rockies (God knows why) on Contreras. As long as the deals are done by midnight tonight, all of these players will be eligible for post-season play. Nice move by Williams considering he was the architect of this debacle.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Apparently Kenny Williams is so disgusted with his underachieving ball club that he's put almost everyone on waivers. This includes, but is not necessarily limited to Jim Thome, Jermaine Dye, Paul Konerko and Jose Contreras. Apparently, the Dodgers have already put in a claim on Thome and the Rockies (God knows why) on Contreras. As long as the deals are done by midnight tonight, all of these players will be eligible for post-season play. Nice move by Williams considering he was the architect of this debacle.

Up over and out.

I know I would love to see Jermaine Dye in a Giants uni down the stretch. Always liked Dye, I wish he never left the A's.

And our young lefty stud (who hasn't had the extremely mixed result young Cole has in his year after his breakthrough) pitched almost as well. Unfortunately they went to Wagner one inning too soon and Okajima is doing his best to fuck away a 7-2 lead. 7-4 now with the bases loaded, nobody out and Francona is turning to Papelbon*. Holy Fucking Christ! That park has been a house of horrors and its happening again.

*For a SIX OUT save. Four bloops and if Papelbon gives up a blast, they lose.

Edited by Dan Gould

Well for the moment thank God that Papelbon got it done without allowing anything disastrous to happen. 18 pitches, with a three run lead do you use Papelbon and burn him for tomorrow, or let Bard/Ramirez/Delcarmen handle the ninth? Modern bullpen theory says use your best reliever for the biggest outs - three run lead, bases loaded and nobody out certainly qualifies, even though it was the eighth. Theoretically there's about a 95% success rate in any given game for any closer with a three run lead starting a clean inning. Of course, if Bard blows it in the ninth, Boston media will erupt with questions of why Papelbon didn't pitch the ninth.

In short, using Papelbon in the eighth is modern, intelligent thinking about bullpen management. But I don't think Francona will take that extra leap and have someone else close it out to save Papelbon for tomorrow.

Edited by Dan Gould

I think Francona barely escaped that blunder , he should of had Okie in the 7th and then Wagner in the 8th and Pap in the 9th.

I think you might see Wagner pitching the eighth eventually but remember he's returned early from TJ surgery and its only his fourth appearance in 13 months. Tito wants to ease him into higher leverage innings.

I'm really hoping that not only does he have no setbacks, but as he begins to throw with some regularity (who said he couldn't throw every other day, he just did) he'll throw a little caution to the wind and tell Tito that he wants the ball in the eighth or that he'll take it on back-to-back days, if he gets a little pennant fever going. There's a risk he hurts himself and jeapordizes next season but on the other hand, with a chance to maybe reach the Series or win a ring, why not go for it? Even with his uneven post-season record, I say he could be an extraordinary weapon down the stretch and in October. Especially when you think that next time, it won't be Bard facing the middle of the Yankee lineup in a 2-1 game. Replay that and I bet Wagner and Paps closes the door and Wagner makes Teixeira and Matsui look stupid doing it.

Meantime, on the field, the Rangers may be in the middle of a team and season defining game: Down 11-0 in the fifth, they trail the Jays only 11-9 with eight outs to go and a runner at first. :wacko:

I don't know how this compares to the 9-0 Baltimore game that turned into 10-9. Down 11-0 at home, three innings to make it 11-10, then lose 18-10? I don't think "we were supposed to lose anyway" covers it.

In short, using Papelbon in the eighth is modern, intelligent thinking about bullpen management.

Those three quotes, in a nutshell, describe the Rangers in general and Ron Washington to a T (especially the 2nd quote. That sounds like the kind of thing Wash would say). He brings in Grilli to start the ninth and expects him to keep the deficit at one run and then leaves him out there to get pummeled? WTF???

I really thought last night's loss would've been right up there with the infamous game last year against the Red Sox, but then they come back and sweep a twin-bill tonight, so that eases last night's pain in a big way. The common phrase around here right now is that the Rangers win in spite of Wash's best efforts to lose. It's gonna be a gut-wrenching September, that's for certain.

Edited by Big Al

Pretty funny thing from the Yanks' win last night over Baltimore--Posada lost track of the count twice. First time he took a ball 4 and kept standing at the plate, till the ump hipped him to the fact that he'd just gotten a walk. Second time, later in the game, he took a called strike 2 and started walking back to the dugout, thinking he'd struck out. :lol: Provoking much amusement from his teammates...then he steps back to the plate and on the next pitch drills a two-run homer. :) (Video: Posada loses count twice)

A bit concerned that Burnett got knocked around, though. Not counting the great game he pitched against the Bosox at Yankee Stadium, has he had a good start in the last month or so?

Edited by ghost of miles

(snip)

A bit concerned that Burnett got knocked around, though. Not counting the great game he pitched against the Bosox at Yankee Stadium, has he had a good start in the last month or so?

And for some reason not yet revealed, he and Posada can't get on the same page. Burnett's ERA is 1.5 points lower when someone other than Posada catches him this year. Unless they come up with an answer playoff time, they may have to DH Posada when Burnett pitches, thus benching Matsui. Very risky if they don't carry a 3rd string catcher on the post season roster.

(snip)

And for some reason not yet revealed, he and Posada can't get on the same page. Burnett's ERA is 1.5 points lower when someone other than Posada catches him this year. Unless they come up with an answer playoff time, they may have to DH Posada when Burnett pitches, thus benching Matsui. Very risky if they don't carry a 3rd string catcher on the post season roster.

Burnett clearly has some issues. Seemed like he was cussing out Felix Pie after he homered, and the guy was running hard out of the box...Kruk said Joe Girardi may have to call the pitches...Posada didn't just forget how to call a game....

Up over and out.

I know I would love to see Jermaine Dye in a Giants uni down the stretch. Always liked Dye, I wish he never left the A's.

Hey, how about the braves trading him at the ripe ol age of 22 for Keith Lockhart and Michael Tucker. (Yes, I looked it up!)

Wish the Braves had kept Adam Wainwright too. But, hey one year of that perpetual underachiever JD Drew was really worth it. :rolleyes:

Also wish we didn't trade Elvis Andrus , Neftali Feliz and, Matt Harrison for Tex either. But, hey we won so much with him the 2 seasons he was with us! Double :rolleyes:

Hey Ghost, Marty... 'splain something to me. For the parts of two seasons Tex was with the Braves, he never seemed to be quite as good as his stats looked. I think Big Al knows of what I speak! ;) I know many people think of the Senior circuit as AAAA. Well, why was it that last year, every team would basically pitch around Chipper Jones, to face Tex, and it often worked???? Is he doing better feeling less pressure since 1-9 the lineup is so much better with the Yankees than the braves were??? He finally feels like he is paid what he's worth??? Or is he getting more breaking pitches in the AL, and loves them????

Hey Ghost, Marty... 'splain something to me. For the parts of two seasons Tex was with the Braves, he never seemed to be quite as good as his stats looked. I think Big Al knows of what I speak! ;)

Damn straight I do. It will make me physically ill if he gets a World Series ring while with the Yankees.

I know many people think of the Senior circuit as AAAA. Well, why was it that last year, every team would basically pitch around Chipper Jones, to face Tex, and it often worked???? Is he doing better feeling less pressure since 1-9 the lineup is so much better with the Yankees than the braves were??? He finally feels like he is paid what he's worth???

That and I think Dan pretty much nailed it.

Jesus Fucking Christ Beckett has turned into a worthless piece of fucking shit. Two more home runs, in the space of three outs. Five runs overall, and none of these hits are cheap. Why the fuck do I let them pull me back in with dreams of a lucky playoff streak when this is our "number one"???

God this is motherfucking aggravating.

Up over and out.

There are a lot of people I wish never left the A's.

And meanwhile Brad Penny - He of 9.00+ ERA in his last 4 starts w/ the Red Sox - is blanking the WFC on 3 hits in in the 5th. WTF???? :huh:

EDIT: make that shut them out over 8 innings. Thanks Theo.

Maybe old dogs can learn new tricks, eh? ^_^

Giants win, 4-0.

Go Giants!!!

Edited by GoodSpeak