MLB 2009 Season

Another nice win for the Giants tonight, 5-3. Zito looked great, bullpen shaky in the ninth, but all's well that ends well. Brian Wilson came in for his second save of the series (for some reason, I called Wilson, Lewis last night). If the Giants had lost, I would have pulled out a Goodspeak Grrrrâ„¢. ;)

Edited by Matthew

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am sure the Giants winning the Wild Card would really bother J.H. and the fans of the WFC. Best hope might be that it goes to the very end of the season with Lincecum forced to pitch a win and advance game but only able to pitch once in the NLDS.

Meanwhile, I am not sure what can be said about Paul Byrd's return to the majors today. Its true that he was facing the Jays who have been atrocious, especially with the bats but still - six innings of shut out ball, outpitching Doc Halladay, three hits and three walks (two of which came in one inning where he walked his way into a jam after allowing a lead-off double then getting two outs on like three pitches) after not pitching since October.

He can be the new Wakefield - cringe with every pitch waiting for it to be sent into orbit but then you'll look up and the next thing you'll know he's pitched six innings and given you a chance to win.

Except for the times he pitches four innings and gives you no chance. I know I hated when we couldn't hammer him but now that he's (back) in Boston, I have a little more appreciation for what he does with what he's got.

I am sure the Giants winning the Wild Card would really bother J.H. and the fans of the WFC. Best hope might be that it goes to the very end of the season with Lincecum forced to pitch a win and advance game but only able to pitch once in the NLDS.

More than a little freaked out about the possibility of the Giants wining the WC. Especially now that Cliff Lee appears to be human after all. :(

If the Rockies don't get the WC the best hope for the WFC is to finish 2nd to the Dodgers overall and play the Cards.

On July 17, the Sox beat the Jays to go 21 games over .500 at 55-34.

They beat the Jays today to got o 22 games over .500 at 76-54. Six weeks played at a game over .500, and only because they won the three straight against the woeful Blue Jays. Utterly destroyed their chances, and I don't even want to mention what the Yankees did over the same stretch ... 18 or 20 games over .500, I'd guess.

Meanwhile, I am not sure what can be said about Paul Byrd's return to the majors today. Its true that he was facing the Jays who have been atrocious, especially with the bats but still - six innings of shut out ball, outpitching Doc Halladay, three hits and three walks (two of which came in one inning where he walked his way into a jam after allowing a lead-off double then getting two outs on like three pitches) after not pitching since October.

He can be the new Wakefield - cringe with every pitch waiting for it to be sent into orbit but then you'll look up and the next thing you'll know he's pitched six innings and given you a chance to win.

Except for the times he pitches four innings and gives you no chance. I know I hated when we couldn't hammer him but now that he's (back) in Boston, I have a little more appreciation for what he does with what he's got.

Likening Wakefield to Paul Byrd... hmmm....an interesting hypothesis. ...Wonder if anyone else has ever made such a comparison :cool:

Wake certainly has accomplished much more over his long career, but it is high variance for him, like Byrd.

...Just hope neither become your regular third starter.

Its one of them or Dice-K or Buchholz. Buchholz was great last night - easily his best since the no-hitter - but again it was against Toronto which has been hitting terribly. Smoltz' failure is what will kill them in the playoffs, if they get there. Penny wasn't going to help them but Smoltz was supposed to be the final piece. As it is, they are a lot like the 2003 team - missing at least one starter.

The Yanks completed a sweep of the Chisox today, and here's what Ozzie Guillen had to say:

''Well, we came to New York and visited the new Yankee Stadium. It is a very nice ballpark, and the hotel we stayed at was also very nice,'' manager Ozzie Guillen said. ''That's all I have to say about these last three days.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/...l#ixzz0Pi8LV3Ig

I got a good laugh out of that.

Very nice sweep by the Giants of the Rockies by winning today 9-5. I kind of thought the Giants were in a good position for a sweep, with their three main pitchers going. Wilson got the save again, and was dealing 98-100 mph the whole time. Off to play the WFC's next.

Edited by Matthew

Another nice win for the Giants tonight, 5-3. Zito looked great, bullpen shaky in the ninth, but all's well that ends well. Brian Wilson came in for his second save of the series (for some reason, I called Wilson, Lewis last night). If the Giants had lost, I would have pulled out a Goodspeak Grrrrâ„¢. ;)

You can use my Grrrr :angry: anytime, Matthew.

You're one of us.

Go Giants!

Edited by GoodSpeak

Very nice sweep by the Giants of the Rockies by winning today 9-5. I kind of thought the Giants were in a good position for a sweep, with their three main pitchers going. Wilson got the save again, and was dealing 98-100 mph the whole time. Off to play the WFC's next.

Even Zito looked good and went into the 9th :g

Now here come the Phillies.

Gotta look sharp, Boyz!

Supposedly Brad Penny is going to become a Giant. Not too sure if I'm on board with that, the Giants have good chemistry as a team (though that's overrated at times), and I always hear bad things about Penny as a team mate. I hate messing with the winning formula the Giants have right now.

There were absolutely zero reports about "Penny is an a-hole" in Boston. Tito went out of his way to praise him from the beginning all the way to the end. And as you might know, the Boston media laps up the type of story you are talking about, and you won't find any such reporting.

The most recent Anti-Penny rant that I've seen comes from Bruce Jenkins, who is usually right on about baseball things:

One thing for sure: Penny is a pill. He doesn't give one damn about teammates or anything but himself. He left the Dodgers on acrimonious terms, and that's not easy on a team managed by Joe Torre. Manny Ramirez has fit in well in that clubhouse, at least so far. The Dodgers even took a chance on Vicente Padilla, who undoubtedly will act nice over the next five weeks with his career on the line. But Penny couldn't cut it there.

"There were a few people I didn't get along with on the coaching staff that don't respect people," Penny said this week. "I mean, me and Joe got along fine. I just feel like nobody had my back there. You're in the clubhouse and you have players coming up to you saying coaches are saying this to them about you."

Responded third-base coach Larry Bowa (a known hothead, especially in his playing days): "You mean the same guy who was never on time, out of shape and has one complete game? He has more stuff to worry about than me. He has to worry about getting people out. He was never on time, never helped the kids out. You go right down the line, everybody who was on the DL watched the games. But not him. He was out of there. Put that on the f---ing dot-com."

Thrust upon the Giants' clubhouse, Penny would probably play it cool, not make waves. They'd be interested in getting him under contract by August 31, thus making him eligible for the postseason, and letting him go whenever their season ends. It's telling that Penny couldn't cut it in Boston, and everyone knows that his fastball has very little movement. He's a big-time risk, but I think Bay Area fans could understand the Giants giving him short-term consideration.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/threed...8#ixzz0Po1magPY

Go Phils!!

Go Giants, you guys are running away with it, help a brother out.

Sigh, the Rockies have the easier schedule here on out. If the Giants split the Phil-Mil road trip I will be happy.

And the Rocks are reeling.

They have lost 6 of their last 10 games.

They have the hitting, but not the pitching.

Edited by GoodSpeak

The Phillies' magic number is 26!

http://www.mlbmagicnumbers.com/

That's a fucked up page. How can the Red Sox be 3.5 games ahead and have the same magic number as the Rangers? Since when does a team that isn't in the lead for a playoff spot even have a "magic number"? According to MLB.com, any combination of Red Sox win and Rangers losses totaling 30 will give them the wild card. How the hell does this site come up with 39 for both teams?

Meantime, on the field, the Rangers may be in the middle of a team and season defining game: Down 11-0 in the fifth, they trail the Jays only 11-9 with eight outs to go and a runner at first. :wacko:

The Phillies' magic number is 26!

http://www.mlbmagicnumbers.com/

That's a fucked up page. How can the Red Sox be 3.5 games ahead and have the same magic number as the Rangers? Since when does a team that isn't in the lead for a playoff spot even have a "magic number"? According to MLB.com, any combination of Red Sox win and Rangers losses totaling 30 will give them the wild card. How the hell does this site come up with 39 for both teams?

Meantime, on the field, the Rangers may be in the middle of a team and season defining game: Down 11-0 in the fifth, they trail the Jays only 11-9 with eight outs to go and a runner at first. :wacko:

Well, that site's "magic number" refers to winning the division - not the WC spot. Yes it would have been better if they had a magic number for the WC spot too. So if you take the number of games yet to play(32 for Boston and 33 for Texas) and add 1 and then add the differential in the lost column from the division leader(6 for Boston and 5 for Texas) you arrive at 39 for both teams. From my shaky math skills I would say that Boston's WC magic number number is 32+1 - 3 = 30 and Texas is 33 +1 + 3 = 37. Of course those numbers will change depending on the outcome of the Jays/Rangers contest.

Texas down by one run now in the 8th.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

The Indians magic number is 2014!!

LOL!!

Now I get it, and your calculation is correct. I just can't believe the Red Sox magic number is almost certainly not falling to 29 after the Jays had an 11-0 lead.

Jays have scored 7 times in the top of the 9th and they're still batting.