MLB 2009 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting clarification about magic numbers in the Globe this morning:

Normally, after a Red Sox win and a Rangers loss, the magic number would drop two, from 16 to 14. Turns out it drops to 13, via the following logic:

If the Rangers somehow got hot and won every game left, they'd finish 98-64. But to win everything would include 7 against the Angels. The Angels would then end up competing for the Wild Card, and with a presumption of seven losses to the Rangers, the best the Angels could do would be 97-65. So the Red Sox would have to finish 98-64, which they would accomplish by going 13-7.

So the magic number for clinching the wild card ought to be 13. I know that's not the way they calculate it and it will all be moot since the Rangers won't win out.

I gave up on the season when Maddon dyed his hair black. ... and they traded Kaz ... and does anyone remember me expressing mild concern about the bullpen in the offseason/first half? How can this be glaringly obvious to a schmuck like me but not the organization? Either that or they knew what was staring them in the face and chose not to do much about it (rely on the long-gone Percy or a risky reclamation project with Isringhausen).

On the bright side, I guess I'll be able to sit back and enjoy the playoffs without worrying too much about who wins.

That, and look forward to some major retuning of the pen in the offseason. :rolleyes:

That is just too cute...and I love her Daddy's response :)

Yeah. That was cool.

Awwww! That's a good dad right there! :tup

He sure is! I'd have been mighty pissed! ;)

That is just too cute...and I love her Daddy's response :)

Yeah. That was cool.

Awwww! That's a good dad right there! :tup

He sure is! I'd have been mighty pissed! ;)

Nice home cookin' in that Nick Green at bat for Boston.

No question, but what this game helped demonstrate is how Fuentes is not much of a closer - ERA over 4, six blown saves before this one - and the Angel's bullpen as a whole isn't nearly as good as it once was. The starting pitching isn't that great either. The Angels are like the Yankee playoff teams from most of this decade, pound their way into the playoffs then get bounced because their hitting isn't as great against tougher pitching staffs and their own pitching is lacking.

Fuentes' stuff doesn't look in the least bit intimidating. Low 90s fastball and out of the strike zone with his breaking pitches. I thought he's at least try to get Ortiz, but Fuentes pussyfooted around him.

In his defense he's only supposed to get three outs. I mean, Green struck out twice in that at bat, but still managed to draw a bases loaded walk to tie the game. That ump needs to grow a pair and make the right call. Usually MLB umpires have no problem sending the home crowd to their cars disappointed.

So the magic number for clinching the wild card ought to be 13. I know that's not the way they calculate it and it will all be moot since the Rangers won't win out.

That's an understatement: a 3-game sweep by the last-place A's in which the Rangers scored ONE WHOLE FUCKING RUN the entire series!

It's as if someone snapped them out of the wonderful trance they've been in all summer and reminded them that they're the Rangers, they're not supposed to be in the playoffs.

I'm telling ya: this WAS a good season, but if it comes crashing down like this, then my assessment will change.

At this point, and as much as I hate to admit it, I can see the Red Sox in the World Series. The Tigers will disappear in the first round, and I'm pretty confident the Sox can take the Yankees in the ALCS, as long as it doesn't come down to a battle of bullpens.

Edited by Big Al

Fuentes' stuff doesn't look in the least bit intimidating. Low 90s fastball and out of the strike zone with his breaking pitches. I thought he's at least try to get Ortiz, but Fuentes pussyfooted around him.

In his defense he's only supposed to get three outs. I mean, Green struck out twice in that at bat, but still managed to draw a bases loaded walk to tie the game. That ump needs to grow a pair and make the right call. Usually MLB umpires have no problem sending the home crowd to their cars disappointed.

I thought that Fuentes' bitching and moaning was ridiculous. Not that the calls weren't bad, but the idea that umpires are intimidated at Fenway or something. You can miss a call and its not because you're afraid to go to your car after the game. This isn't AA ball.

One thing I didn't really notice was whether the umpire was calling the lower edge of the strike zone tight all night or not. It looks worse if he had called someone out on a low strike earlier than froze on that one. But if he wasn't giving that strike throughout the game, it almost excuses it.

Not quite though. It was after all above the lower line of the strike zone box on the screen.

Edited by Dan Gould

At this point, and as much as I hate to admit it, I can see the Red Sox in the World Series. The Tigers will disappear in the first round, and I'm pretty confident the Sox can take the Yankees in the ALCS, as long as it doesn't come down to a battle of bullpens.

I'll happily go to war with this bullpen over theirs any day of the week. Far deeper and that was before they added Wagner. The Yankees could make it a seven inning game because of Hughes and Rivera. The Red Sox can make them six inning games because they have the arms to get through the seventh, too, and have more than a single option for the eighth.

But didn't it look like the catcher moved his glove up a little quick to try and sell it?....I think that might have made the ump question whether it was in the strike zone?

A lot people on EEI this morning couldn't believe that the left fielder didn't dive to try and catch that ball Gonzalez hit it looked like it fell right in front of his feet.

Yeah, he did frame it a bit when he didn't have to. It was borderline, but a strike nonetheless. The thing is, we're conditioned to expect the low strike to be called more than the high strike, and probably balls on the black more also. But umps can blow calls just by blowing calls, not because they are influenced by the fans or the location.

There are plots of the strike zone from last night that shows how the home plate umpire was not calling the low strike, and was calling a higher strike. So the bottom line is, he wasn't giving that pitch all night long. Yeah, empirically it was a strike but as the old umpire used to say "it ain't nothing til I say what it is" and he hadn't been calling it and he didn't. It really makes it impossible to argue that it had anything to do with the crowd or the Red Sox. Everyone says they want consistency from the ump - well, he gave it to them.

But didn't it look like the catcher moved his glove up a little quick to try and sell it?....I think that might have made the ump question whether it was in the strike zone?

A lot people on EEI this morning couldn't believe that the left fielder didn't dive to try and catch that ball Gonzalez hit it looked like it fell right in front of his feet.

It looked like he completely bailed on that ball. It dropped right in front of him. Pretty close to the stands though. But still.

It seemed like the Angels defense made more than a couple of costly flubs in the late innings. That seems like a bigger factor in the outcome of that game than the no-call on the strike, which tied the game -- didn't lose it.