MLB 2009 Season

I agree, MJ--I saw a stat today on NY's average with RISP, and it's horrible. Lots of power, but it helps to hit those HRs when there are some runners on base. NY has to pick it up at the plate... even if they get past the Angels, they won't be able to take the Phillies with batting performances like what we've seen so far. (Philly is looking like a tough nut to crack for whoever emerges from the ALCS.)

Edited by ghost of miles

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The previous two games that were won coming from behind with one out left in the ninth were the Kirk Gibson game when he homered (I can't believe what I just saw) and the 1947 Bill Bevens no-hitter broken up by Cookie Lavagetto (Wankees v Bums.) Heard that on a local sports talk show. The 1986 game was not one of them.

Edited by It Should be You

Kazmir over 80 pitches in the 4th, Sabathia with 29 through 3!

Horrendous umpiring twice in the top of the fourth, both involving Swisher- he's clearly out on a pickoff(called safe) and then gets called out on an appeal play but he didn't leave early- I guess it's karma.

Man I just saw two of the worst blown calls ever in the top of the 4th in the Yankees/Angels game. First was a pick off attempt at 2nd and the Angels had the runner by a good 6 inches and the ump called the runner safe. It was just awful. The 2nd call was when the ump ruled that Swisher had left 3rd early when tagging up when replays showed that his foot was on the bag when Hunter made the catch. All I can figure is that the third base ump was making up for the 2nd base ump's initial error.

Instant replay needs to be expanded. NOW.

Absolutely TERRIBLE umpiring in this game--WTF??? Yeah, two blown calls involving Swisher in the 4th, and now...hey, I'm a NY fan, but what on earth was that with Posada and Cano at third base just now? Bad baserunning by NY this inning...Posada should've scored on Cano's double off the wall, then Cano just stands there and should be called out on the double tag...again, I'm glad NY didn't ultimately benefit from a bad call, but man oh man! And yeah, I got the distinct feeling that calling Swisher for leaving third base too soon (are you kidding me?) was nothing but a makeup call for not calling him out on the pickoff attempt.

On the brighter side, A-Rod simply smoked another one out of the park--this after having put NY on the board for the first time with aggressive baserunning. And the Yankee bats seem to finally be coming to life.

The only thing worse than the umps tonight is having to listen to Joe Buck and Tim McCarver. I don't know which one I hate listening to more.

Frequently I mute the tube and play music. As bad as some baseball announcers are, they're nowhere near as bad as 90%+ of football announcers, especially the college ones.

BTW, if CC were pitching on 4 days' rest, I'd feel pretty confident about this game at this point. On 3 days' rest, and given what the Angels did to the Bosox in Game 3 of the DS, I don't think NY fans are anywhere near being able to sit back and count this one in the bag.

I just hope CC can get in 7 decent innings, so that we don't have to go through another round of Girardi's bullpen musical-chairs.

This is an interesting article explaining in part, the terrible umpiring....but it doesn't explain it all.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/i...ing-on-injuries

Holy crap Batman, 3 umps out with concussions! I hadn't really thought of that but there'd be ample opportunity to have the ole noggin' clobbered during the season. It might be safer being an NFL QB than a MLB ump. (Okay, probably not, but then umps are often older.)

Aside from the Swisher calls it does seem like it's standard procedure to blow a following call to make up for the earlier screw up. Doesn't work well in the 9th inning though...

This is an interesting article explaining in part, the terrible umpiring....but it doesn't explain it all.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/i...ing-on-injuries

Holy crap Batman, 3 umps out with concussions! I hadn't really thought of that but there'd be ample opportunity to have the ole noggin' clobbered during the season. It might be safer being an NFL QB than a MLB ump. (Okay, probably not, but then umps are often older.)

Aside from the Swisher calls it does seem like it's standard procedure to blow a following call to make up for the earlier screw up. Doesn't work well in the 9th inning though...

There was one ump that I saw just forever get hit by foul balls and past balls this past season...no doubt one of the guys out.

Edited by BERIGAN

The third-base ump who ultimately called Swisher out for allegedly leaving third base too early wasn't even looking at him. Again, I couldn't feel too upset about it, given that Swisher by all rights should've been called out for getting picked off second base...but the idea of a "makeup" call is abysmal. I think they'd be better off loosening the replay-call standards somewhat instead. (Only allowed for certain home-run calls right now, correct?)

Glad that it was all ultimately irrelevant. It would be really, really, really good to win this in either 5 or 6 games and possibly have CC available for 3 starts in a World Series... but I'm not counting on anything yet, esp. with Burnett on the mound tomorrow night. He was a much better at home than on the road this season.

It would be really, really, really good to win this in either 5 or 6 games and possibly have CC available for 3 starts in a World Series... but I'm not counting on anything yet, esp. with Burnett on the mound tomorrow night. He was a much better at home than on the road this season.

Hmm--then again, maybe not. I just looked at the World Series schedule, and CC would be pitching on three days' rest twice in a row if he went Games 1, 4 & 7.

Oh well, not even gonna think about it--after 2004, I'm not taking anything for granted in the playoffs, and I'd give a slight edge again to L.A. for Game 5, what with their backs to the wall and Burnett pitching on the road.

Meanwhile, Steve Phillips is in hot water again.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/1...ex_scandal.html

He's a regular David Letterman, that guy. Too bad. I liked him as a baseball analyst. I liked Harold Reynolds too. Why is it guys like this can't keep it in their pants? He's got a wife and three kids for cryin' out loud. I would imagine we've seen the last of Mr. Phillips. ESPN needs to hire more guys like Jon Kruk.

Up over and out.