MLB 2009 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats to the Phillies! When I was a teenager I remember "hapless" being put in front of "Phillies," as even when they started winning they suffered a 3 year run in the late '70s of losing in the NLCS before finally winning their first World Series in 1980. How different for my teenage nephew Phillies fan. From 1980 on they are tied with the Braves & Cardinals with 5 NL pennants (only the Yankees have more over that period.) Not that he remembers 1980, '83 or hell, even '93. But the Phillies back-to-back! Most impressive.

Good grief! How far away was that right field fence??? 280 feet?? Bet there never was a homer to straight-away center! :blink:

JH, and the other Phillies fans, congrats! That is one solid team! I always felt there were only 7 hitters in that lineup, but if Ruiz keeps hitting in the playoffs, plus someone like Ben Francisco is DH'ing, that's going to be one amazing lineup!

Phils in 6..nope, 7...it's going to be epic...I hope!

Thanks. Still soaking it in. Very loud in Center City last night w/ celebrations going well past 2:00AM. Condolences to the L.A. fans. You've got a great team that will compete for years to come.

I think the WFC have a good shot at the Yanks. My only worry is Hamels. Dude is stinkin' up the joint. He doesn't resemble last year's NLCS/WS MVP at all. Hell, even Bradley Thomas Lidge has got his shit together in the post-season. Ruiz has been incredible! The new Señor Octubre ;)

Oh, and MLB in all of their wisdom has the Fall Classic starting next Wednesday even if the Yanks win tonight. A week layoff??

Edited by J.H. Deeley

I'm bummed that the Dodgers didn't make it again, but at least they were beat by a team that clearly looked & played better.

Dodgers need to up their starting pitching & hitting against really good pitchers to take it to the next step. It's well within the possible, just needs to be done.

Meanwhile, Steve Phillips is in hot water again.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/1...ex_scandal.html

He's a regular David Letterman, that guy. Too bad. I liked him as a baseball analyst. I liked Harold Reynolds too. Why is it guys like this can't keep it in their pants? He's got a wife and three kids for cryin' out loud. I would imagine we've seen the last of Mr. Phillips. ESPN needs to hire more guys like Jon Kruk.

Up over and out.

Funny --- I hated him as Mets GM, Mo Vaughn and Roberto Alomar debacles notwithstanding!

I'm bummed that the Dodgers didn't make it again, but at least they were beat by a team that clearly looked & played better.

Dodgers need to up their starting pitching & hitting against really good pitchers to take it to the next step. It's well within the possible, just needs to be done.

Yeah well, I remember when I was a kid the Dodgers beat the Phillies in the NLCS in 77' and 78'. After the 'We are Family' Pirates won the WS in 79', the Phillies won it all in 80'. The Dodgers have some good young talent with which they can built as long as they learn from these last two years and not get dejected. And they need to get rid of Manny. His prime years are gone, he can't use steroids any more and he's a cancer on every team he's been on.

Ouch--that first inning seemed to bear out my bad premonitions about tonight's game and A.J. on the road. Not good, staking Lackey (who's looking dominant through the first two after Jeter and Damon's leadoff singles) to a 4-0 lead... looks like there's a very good chance we'll be heading back to NY for Game 6 on Saturday.

Wow, a good game for a 4-0 contest since the first inning--unless the Yanks put across some of these runners they've got on with two out, still can't see a comeback, but glad to see Lackey finally leave. And credit to A.J. for a very gutsy start, pitching so well after that terrible first inning.

The umpires will help- Lackey is still pissed after he thought he struck out Posada.

Borderline call, but IMO several similarly close ones went Lackey's way earlier in the evening.

Holy crap--suddenly it's 4-3!

Being a Phillies fan- I want every game in the Angels-Yankees to go 7 games and extra innings in each game.

I hate pitch counts- why take out Lackey?

Crap- Oliver lets the Yankees back into the game. Now he's coming out- Lackey is waiting for him in the tunnel.

I hate pitch counts- why take out Lackey?

Lackey was definitely losing some of his sharpness, but yeah, I would've left him in there to get through the end of the inning and then taken him out. Whatever the ultimate outcome of this game, giving him the hook will go down as a mistake.

Cripes, speaking of hooks, might be time to pull Burnett.

Edited by ghost of miles

Boy, I wish Girardi had pulled Burnett one batter sooner! And Phil Hughes has looked very, very shaky in the postseason so far.

And as I'm typing this, the Angels tie the game. What IS it with Girardi and his wacky bullpen moves?

Edit: L.A. retakes the lead, after Hughes gives up a walk, a single, and another single.

Girardi throws away an incredible comeback with a terrible series of pitching maneuvers. Not to take anything away from L.A.'s gutsy hitting this inning, but leaving Burnett in after the initial leadoff hit, and then bringing in Marte and Hughes...why didn't he simply go for Chamberlain or Robertson in the 7th, Hughes in the 8th for two outs, and then Rivera?

Can NY dig themselves out a second time?

Maybe not.

Edited by ghost of miles