MLB 2009 Season

Stoked for my boys, especially Ethier who really swung a big bat in the series. Manny finally showed up, the short rest will be good for his ailing hand. Feel a twinge of pity for the Cards, that Game 2 choke was epic. I'm not really getting where the hate for my team comes from, it's not like they've won anything since '88. Go Dodgers!

They ought to make the regular season a bit shorter in favor of a seven game divisional series.

I don't get the hate either (I understand Yankee hate though), this Dodger team is very low-key and doesn't make too many waves. Of course, I grew up on the Dodgers in San Diego, even made the pilgrimage to Dodger Stadium on many occasions. Still, it is good to see them back up on top -- who knows, it looks like it might turn into an I5 Series.

You must be very young claim to you don't understand the hate, Matthew. Only the Dodger fan youngsters [and a few jealous A's baseball fans] don't get it. Giants fans from birth understand. Maybe it's pretend denial....I won't speculate. But when I'm at ATT Park and those drunken Dodger fan bastards spew their verbal arrogance it speaks volumes for us Giants fans about how much we hate those fucking Dodgers.

Do the research.

This rivarlry spans over 100 years.

Oh, I know all about the history. I was a tremendous baseball nerd, reading all the books, getting to know the history, especially about the Dodgers. The Dodgers were "my team" for many years, it just seemed as if something was lost when the O'Malley's left the ownership. In fact, the only World Series game I ever attended was game three of the 1988 series, where Mark McGwire hit the homer off Jay Howell to win the game. Got to the games because of friend of mine knew Rick Dempsey at Crespsi High in L.A., who got us the tickets, but made us pay for them -- the cheapskate! First major league game I went to was a 1969 Padres / Dodger game where Willie Davis had is thirty game hitting streak ended. I guess being on the outside in San Diego, I never developed that appropriate Giant hatred, in fact, the Giants were the team I followed when I studied in Berkeley. Giants fans are no shrinking violets at games, you know, just ask Reggie Smith & Tommy Lasorda!

Edited by Matthew

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, I know all about the history. I was a tremendous baseball nerd, reading all the books, getting to know the history, especially about the Dodgers. The Dodgers were "my team" for many years, it just seemed as if something was lost when the O'Malley's left the ownership. In fact, the only World Series game I ever attended was game three of the 1988 series, where Mark McGwire hit the homer off Jay Howell to win the game. Got to the games because of friend of mine knew Rick Dempsey at Crespsi High in L.A., who got us the tickets, but made us pay for them -- the cheapskate! First major league game I went to was a 1969 Padres / Dodger game where Willie Davis had is thirty game hitting streak ended. I guess being on the outside in San Diego, I never developed that appropriate Giant hatred, in fact, the Giants were the team I followed when I studied in Berkeley. Giants fans are no shrinking violets at games, you know, just ask Reggie Smith & Tommy Lasorda!

You can't argue with him, I tried a thousand times that the Dodger players and fans don't take it as seriously when the Giants go through periods of not fielding a competitive team when the Dodgers are good. He doesn't and won't ever get it. But what do you expect from someone who said of a team with highest attendance in all of baseball that their fans don't go to the games or support their team. Im done with him, at least Dan will backup his hate with facts once in a while.

You forgot the Steve Sax game where he got the beer tossed on him when going for the foul ball at the Stick. I kind of miss the hardcore fans who went to the stick but I would never call Giants fans classy back then.

The reason baseball doesn't have Twilight Double headers anymore is thanks to one between the Giants and Dodgers at the Stick in the late 80's.

That pickoff was shades of the 2007 World Series. If they don't hold on they surely deserve all the criticism for not doing anything to ice the game, particularly the last two innings against a shitty bullpen. But if they can get it done, I like their chances to send it back to the big A. No one is scared of Saunders on the mound, the bats aren't dead like they were, and so long as Lester comes through on short rest, the pressure goes back full bore on the Angels. Hunter would spend the entire five hour flight screaming at his teammates about showing some sac.

Way to go, Big Papi! That bat ain't dead yet.

I hope the Angels win by 10 runs today

So there will be no doubt/moaning/crying/cussing/excuses that they are the better team PERIOD

Peace

Gee.

The Red Sox were one lonely, strike away from winning Game 3, too.

Tsk, tsk.

I guess payback is a bitch, huh.

SWEEP!!!

broom5.jpg

Go Angels!

Edited by GoodSpeak

You can't argue with him, I tried a thousand times that the Dodger players and fans don't take it as seriously when the Giants go through periods of not fielding a competitive team when the Dodgers are good. He doesn't and won't ever get it. But what do you expect from someone who said of a team with highest attendance in all of baseball that their fans don't go to the games or support their team. Im done with him, at least Dan will backup his hate with facts once in a while.

You forgot the Steve Sax game where he got the beer tossed on him when going for the foul ball at the Stick. I kind of miss the hardcore fans who went to the stick but I would never call Giants fans classy back then.

The reason baseball doesn't have Twilight Double headers anymore is thanks to one between the Giants and Dodgers at the Stick in the late 80's.

You equate W-L records with what a rivalry is or isn't.

You are an As fan.

You simply do not have the depth or range of experiences to justify your claims about what the fans think or feel.

It is the Dodgers own fans who don't support their own team and it is no indication of how they think or feel about this rivalry.

A real Giants fan you are not.

Sorry, but you aren't the one listening, WB3.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Stoked for my boys, especially Ethier who really swung a big bat in the series. Manny finally showed up, the short rest will be good for his ailing hand. Feel a twinge of pity for the Cards, that Game 2 choke was epic. I'm not really getting where the hate for my team comes from, it's not like they've won anything since '88. Go Dodgers!

They ought to make the regular season a bit shorter in favor of a seven game divisional series.

I don't get the hate either (I understand Yankee hate though), this Dodger team is very low-key and doesn't make too many waves. Of course, I grew up on the Dodgers in San Diego, even made the pilgrimage to Dodger Stadium on many occasions. Still, it is good to see them back up on top -- who knows, it looks like it might turn into an I5 Series.

You must be very young claim to you don't understand the hate, Matthew. Only the Dodger fan youngsters [and a few jealous A's baseball fans] don't get it. Giants fans from birth understand. Maybe it's pretend denial....I won't speculate. But when I'm at ATT Park and those drunken Dodger fan bastards spew their verbal arrogance it speaks volumes for us Giants fans about how much we hate those fucking Dodgers.

Do the research.

This rivarlry spans over 100 years.

No doubt.

We have booed lustily at Old Pasta Belly, that's not news.

When Gag-me was throwing his steriod laced fastballs we went after him, too.

But go to an LA game wearing Giants gear and you get shot in the parking lot.

If there's any doubt why the Red Sox lost, look no further than the numbers below.

Ellsbury .250

Pedroia .167

Martinez .182

Youkilis .083

Bay .125

Ortiz .083

Lowell .200

Drew .222

Gonzalez .167

When you're best hitter clocks in at .250 and seven of your nine starters are below the Mendoza line, you get what you deserve.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

So there will be no doubt/moaning/crying/cussing/excuses that they are the better team PERIOD

Peace

They did better than that, winning the way they did ripped the guts out of all Red Sox fans today. Winning in a blowout may be better for the heart, but by scoring 2 in the top of the 8th, giving back one in the bottom of that inning, and then scoring 3 with two outs in the 9th......... much, MUCH better. As a Yankee fan whose team has been "owned" for most of this decade by the Angels, I certainly respect them and look forward to hopefully getting some revenge (assuming we close out the Twins ASAP).

And Dan, I think you've been proven correct about Papelbon. Don't know how he'll live this one down. Pretty awful performance at money time.

Peace

They did better than that, winning the way they did ripped the guts out of all Red Sox fans today. Winning in a blowout may be better for the heart, but by scoring 2 in the top of the 8th, giving back one in the bottom of that inning, and then scoring 3 with two outs in the 9th......... much, MUCH better. As a Yankee fan whose team has been "owned" for most of this decade by the Angels, I certainly respect them and look forward to hopefully getting some revenge (assuming we close out the Twins ASAP).

And Dan, I think you've been proven correct about Papelbon. Don't know how he'll live this one down. Pretty awful performance at money time.

Love your avatar, Marty.

I have that same picture on my professional webpage :tup

You simply do not have the depth or range of experiences to justify your claims about what the fans think or feel.

:blink:

Um.

OK...and that is a problem because....?

Weather in Denver: 34. Thank you Bud. Just retire already.

I'd vote for taking a flying leap.

But that's just me.