MLB 2009 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whoop de friggin' do. That was a nice win. I don't know if there's some old time Yankee mojo at work here, but the Angels are definitely not playing Angel baseball. I've got a 1996, 1997 feel about this 2009 team. I'm also smart enough to know that this series is far from over.

Where's Dan? It's not nearly as much fun to gloat when he's not in the mix.

Up over and out.

Lots of thrills in this game, albeit sloppily played. Cano is lucky he isn't the goat. After driving in the first run early in the game, he was terribly futile at the bat the rest of the evening and his two errors could definitely have proved costly Among the Angel non-performers we have to thank, of which there are quite a few, Vladimir Guerrero stands out IMO. His lack of discipline at the plate has caused him to look like a sad joke so far. Hopefully his futility will continue when the series resumes in CA.

And what's with their ace reliever, he of the 48 regular season saves, Fuentes? After he got two quick strikes on A-Rod in the 11th, how could he throw him a chest high pitch just above the outside corner? That's just inviting disaster from a hitter of A-Rod's caliber and sure enough.....tie game.

Lots of thrills in this game, albeit sloppily played. Cano is lucky he isn't the goat. After driving in the first run early in the game, he was terribly futile at the bat the rest of the evening and his two errors could definitely have proved costly Among the Angel non-performers we have to thank, of which there are quite a few, Vladimir Guerrero stands out IMO. His lack of discipline at the plate has caused him to look like a sad joke so far. Hopefully his futility will continue when the series resumes in CA.

And what's with their ace reliever, he of the 48 regular season saves, Fuentes? After he got two quick strikes on A-Rod in the 11th, how could he throw him a chest high pitch just above the outside corner? That's just inviting disaster from a hitter of A-Rod's caliber and sure enough.....tie game.

Cano??? How about the bobbled double play ball by Jeter??? He was really lucky too. Glad the game didn't get decided by that Ump not calling the in the vicinity play at 2nd....

It was a very good game that went on too long. Even the fans got quiet after awhile...just worn out I guess...I think that the length of the game plus went grass didn't help the fielders much either....

They need to be consistent on that neighborhood play. Either a runner is safe or out. Frankly, they should be required to touch the bag. That's the way the game is played at the other bases.

Brad,

I wholeheartedly agree. According to Tim McCarver, vicinity calls at second base reflect a rule stretching nod towards protecting the man making the pivot. OK, fine. However, if Eric Aybar is, as Mike Scioscia suggests, the best defensive "5" in either league, then perhaps his "sleight of foot" skill around the bag represents one of the arrows in his quiver. The only other aspect of rule enforcement that comes as close to this "look away" aspect of baseball, is the game in, game out redefinition of the strike zone. I say play ball, but play it by the rules.

Also, did anyone else find it interesting last night when the boys in the booth illustrated the decrease in velocity that takes place between the time a pitcher releases the ball, and when it reaches the batter? The example they used showed a 7 MPH differential, 93 versus 86. I had never looked at it this way.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Aybar wasn't anywhere near the bag on at least one DP earlier in the night--but I thought he did brush the bag with his foot on that last call. Either way, yeah, they should be more consistent...I felt like the ump was nailing him with payback for taking liberties earlier in the game.

Highlight video clips:

A-Rod does it again

Hairston scores the winning run

Also, did anyone else find it interesting last night when the boys in the booth illustrated the decrease in velocity that takes place between the time a pitcher releases the ball, and when it reaches the batter? The example they used showed a 7 MPH differential, 93 versus 86. I had never looked at it this way.

Up over and out.

Never thought of that before! Makes perfect sense. So, that means folks like Bard are throwing 107 when it leaves their fingertips??? Or does the radar gun catch it out of their hands??? (I Missed the first 6 innings of the game)

The only purpose of correction was so Ghost, yourself and other Yankee fans don't get an ulcer

Too late--I think tonight's game already gave me one. :eye:

I wound up drinking quite a bit more than I had planned because of the game. I went to a concert Saturday night and got back to Brooklyn close to 11:00, so I went to a bar a few blocks away from my house(unbeknownst to me it's a Yankee bar) to grab a pint, watch the last inning or so and then go home. Wel, once I was there I had to stay until the end, so I wound up drinking pints(Sam Adams)until 1:30 AM!!! The bartender was giving me buybacks after two pints, so it turned out very cheap, and no driving involved- just walk about six blocks and I was in the door.

I take back my comment about about the NLCS coming down to the team w/ the least shittiest BP. It comes down to the team w/ the least stupidest manager. Why did Torre have Billingsley pitch to Ruiz(who has been torching the Dodgers so far) w/ a man on third, two outs, first base open, and the pitcher due up next??? That's just bad managing.

I didn't see any of tonight's L.A-NY game, as I was up in Indpls, taking my dad and grandmother out for a double-birthday dinner. Sounds like I missed another one for the ages, though--and that Girardi again blew through his bullpen and made a couple of questionable premature hooks re: Pettite and Robertson. So now it's CC tomorrow on 3 days' rest and Burnett on Thursday. At this point I'm simply hoping that NY can take 1 of 3 at Anaheim and head home with two chances to take it all.

But A-Rod has certainly arrived as a clutch postseason player when he gets intentionally walked in the top of the 9th with a tie score, two out, and nobody on. :rsmile:

I take back my comment about about the NLCS coming down to the team w/ the least shittiest BP. It comes down to the team w/ the least stupidest manager. Why did Torre have Billingsley pitch to Ruiz(who has been torching the Dodgers so far) w/ a man on third, two outs, first base open, and the pitcher due up next??? That's just bad managing.

I'll call you and raise. Why did Girardi remove David Robertson, who was pitching very effectively, and replace him with Alfredo Aceves with two outs in the bottom of the 11th? That makes no sense.

Up over and out

Edited by Dave James

I'll call you and raise. Why did Girardi remove David Robertson, who was pitching very effectively, and replace him with Alfredo Aceves with two outs in the bottom of the 11th? That makes no sense.

Up over and out

Exactly my thought- with a runner on second, two outs and a good strikeout pitcher on the mound, why change??? Girardi may have outthunk himself.

Man, that was a crazy win last night. After a season of being on the WRONG end of those blown saves (17 times) it's good to get the win. And Bradley Thomas Lidge got his first win in 2009 to boot! You think Broxton was still thinking about last year's NLCS when he walked Stairs on 4 pitches?

According to Jason Stark last night's game was only the 3rd time in 1,251 postseason games in MLB history that a team came back to win when they were only one out from losing.

Man, that was a crazy win last night. After a season of being on the WRONG end of those blown saves (17 times) it's good to get the win. And Bradley Thomas Lidge got his first win in 2009 to boot! You think Broxton was still thinking about last year's NLCS when he walked Stairs on 4 pitches?

According to Jason Stark last night's game was only the 3rd time in 1,251 postseason games in MLB history that a team came back to win when they were only one out from losing.

What were the other two? Red Sox-Mets Game 6 in '86 WS would be one, correct?

Edited by ghost of miles

Nope.

One was The Kirk Gibson Game -- Game 1 of the 1988 World Series, Gibson homering off Dennis Eckersley, Jack Buck warbling: "I don't believe what I just saw."

The other was The Bill Bevens Game -- Game 4 of the 1947 World Series, when Yankees pitcher Bill Bevens got within one out of the first no-hitter in World Series history, and then lost it all. Lost his win. Lost his place in immortality. Lost it on a two-run double by Cookie Lavagetto with two outs in the ninth.

I stand corrected. Last night's game was only the 3rd time that an extra base hit won the game w/ two outs away from losing*. So yeah the Mets/Sox WS 86 game was another. My bad.

Edit. Man, I really got this quote wrong. So the Mets/Sox actually is not one of them because the game was tied and Mookie Wilson's grounder was ruled, correctly, an error not a base hit. That game 6 was an more exciting come back than last night - even for this Phils fan.

* Angels beat the Yanks last night w/ a double and two outs BUT that game was tied.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

I didn't see any of tonight's L.A-NY game, as I was up in Indpls, taking my dad and grandmother out for a double-birthday dinner. Sounds like I missed another one for the ages, though--and that Girardi again blew through his bullpen and made a couple of questionable premature hooks re: Pettite and Robertson. So now it's CC tomorrow on 3 days' rest and Burnett on Thursday. At this point I'm simply hoping that NY can take 1 of 3 at Anaheim and head home with two chances to take it all.

But A-Rod has certainly arrived as a clutch postseason player when he gets intentionally walked in the top of the 9th with a tie score, two out, and nobody on. :rsmile:

Girardi overmanaged to be sure. He's got righty Dave Robertson pitching in the 11th who induces two harmless outs. For some reason unknown, he then yanks DR for Aceves, another righthander, who promptly serves two meatballs to the next two hitters. Gametime! WTF? When a pitcher is getting people out, the only reason to pull him is to put in someone who pitches with the other arm,e.g., lefty against lefty, etc. Otherwise, I don't give a damn what your intelligence reports say about how well or poorly a hitter has done against a specific pitcher. You stick with the guy who is proving in front of your eyes that he's "on", i.e., his stuff is working. Aceves had nothing and I don't blame him for the loss, this is strictly on Girardi.

But another problem that has surfaced for the Yanks is that outside of Jeter and A-Rod, lots of key people are not coming through with men on base, including Texeiria and Cano. Swisher also had no business being in the lineup yesterday, having non-hit zero for whatever and continuing his abysmal showings at the plate; Gardiner should have been in there. Unfortunately with the Angels pitching a lefty today (Kazmir), we'll probably again have to cope with the switch hitting Swisher.

Edited by MartyJazz