MLB 2009 Season

There's good stories with each team in the playoffs- this is the first time in awhile I'm excited to watch both series.

I have a DVR with Directv and XM radio- so I pause the TV enought to sinc (sp?) it with the radio broadcast- I'll watch the Phillies game with the Phillies announcers. I did this for the Twins-Tigers playoff game- listening to the Twins broadcast- very exciting!

And I love listening to Vin Scully calling Dodger games- I'll do that one game against the Phillies.

However I can't stand listening to the Yankees broadcasters- John Sterling and that female announcer who's horrible- "Oh My Goodness Gracious!!"

Yeah, I heard Sterling and her once while out one night...just once...and I am still scarred from it! ;) he didn't seem so bad when he did Braves games, but back then the braves sucked.....

I'm a Yankee fan and Sterling &Suzyn Waldman are HORRIBLE!!!! One local writer here calls them 'Ma & Pa Pinstripe'.

You should've heard Sterling when he called Islander games during their first few years in the NHL........."goal, Islander goal, Islander goal, Islander goal......"

What an annoying little howdy doody prick.

Btw, how does Suzyn Waldman explain growing up a Red Sox fan, and ending up as a Yankee homer?

I HATE the Yankees........................................

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How much longer is Felix under contract ??? I don't think Seattle has the resources to keep him there longer than that.

Baseball really needs a salary cap.

They're a wealthy team, or at least before Oct. 2008. They set the record (I'm guessing) for most money spent per loss just the year before. True the big 2 from the AL East spend more, but unless something drastic has happened I think they could resign him. It's just whether the bright lights of a bigger city appeal to him.

This is all correct. The M's were the first team to have a payroll over 100K and have over 100 loses. Bill Bavasi (with all due respect to his late great pop) is/was one of the worst GM in the history of baseball. He gave huge contracts to the likes of Carlos Silva (four-year, $48 million), Miguel Batista (Three years, $25 million), Richie Sexon (four years, $50 million) and Kenji Johjima (three years, $24 million). Not to mention trading away Adam Jones and George Sherrill to the orioles for Erik "I live on the DL" Bedard.

Regarding Felix though, he did say after the last game of the year that he'd like to play his whole career in Seattle. Even after last years horror show. That says a lot about the way new GM Jack Zduriencik & new skipper Don Wakamatsu (and the addition of Griffey and Sweeney) have turned things around. I think Felix will stay...at least for a few more years. He's under contract now until 2011 as it is now. A nice little three year extention would be sweet.

I don't know what the weather is in NYC right now but if it's anything like it is right now 90 miles to the south in Philly there's no way there will be a game tonight. The weather here is just as bad as when Game 5 of the WS got postponed for 2 days last year. 40 degrees(in the 30's by first pitch), wind, and rain. And it's pretty much supposed to stay like that through Monday here.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

I don't know what the weather is in NYC right now but if it's anything like it is right now 90 miles to the south in Philly there's no way there will be a game tonight. The weather here is just as bad as when Game 5 of the WS got postponed for 2 days last year. 40 degrees(in the 30's by first pitch), wind, and rain. And it's pretty much supposed to stay like that through Monday here.

The league should decide to play both championship series' entirely in CA!!!

The weather in NY sucks, btw. I can't remember the last time I wore a winter coat in October.

Dodgers didn't win that game as much as the Phillies pissed it away. This loss is on Chollie. Taking out Pedro after he just struck Manny to end the 7th??? 87 pitches, 2 hits, 0 walks, 3 strike outs, a 0.00 ERA and you take him out???

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Dodgers didn't win that game as much as the Phillies pissed it away. This loss is on Chollie. Taking out Pedro after he just struck Manny to end the 7th??? 87 pitches, 2 hits, 0 walks, 3 strike outs, a 0.00 ERA and you take him out???

Ever hear what happened to a Boston Manager that left Pedro in, many years ago??? ;)

Plus, how long had it been since he pitched??? 15????

I would give the Angels a definite psychological advantage for tonight after last night's game--they've got to be hopping mad after those errors last night. They're a great team, and great teams generally come charging out of the gate with something to prove after such a performance.

Not so cool of A-Rod to blow through the third base coach's stop sign like that (I'm assuming he did see it), but on the replay it looked like he was actually safe at home--not that it made any difference in the game's ultimate outcome.

More clutch play from the killer B's at the bottom of the Dodger order: Blake and Belliard. May not hit for high average, or be all that reliable, but...

And CC was great last night. New grip on one of his pitches, and more rest as the season wound down appear to have helped immensely. And those pinstripes look slimming!

So Blake, Belliard, Thome, Sabathia all made excellent contributions last night. Hopefully Cliff Lee will pitch well tomorrow.

Meahwhile Tribe contemplating Manny Acta, former mgr of your Washington Nationals, as their next manager.

That Philly-L.A. series is already shaping up as a really good one...if the Yanks do make it to the WS and face Philly, I'll be dreading Cliff Lee's turns in the rotation.

I'd be dreading his times at bat. Lee is currently hitting .316, the highest batting average on the entire Philadelphia team.

Up over and out.

That Philly-L.A. series is already shaping up as a really good one...if the Yanks do make it to the WS and face Philly, I'll be dreading Cliff Lee's turns in the rotation.

I'd be dreading his times at bat. Lee is currently hitting .316, the highest batting average on the entire Philadelphia team.

Up over and out.

I think you ran into a typo somewhere. With the Phillies he hit .212 during the regular season (7 for 33) and is 1 for 5 in the playoffs. He does have a playoff stolen base which is likely a small club for pitchers. Lifetime he's a .138 hitter.

Edited by Quincy

I think you ran into a typo somewhere. With the Phillies he hit .212 during the regular season (7 for 33) and is 1 for 5 in the playoffs. He does have a playoff stolen base which is likely a small club for pitchers. Lifetime he's a .138 hitter.

I picked this up from a website called ISporticus:

Because we live in a city where the equilibrium of the collective sports mentality is as stable as Stephon Marbury, people are panicking about the Phils’ recent slump. Sure, they are coming off a 4-game sweep at the hands of the lowly Astros. And with the notable exception of Ryan Howard, the team is in a huge offensive slump (Cliff Lee has the best batting average on the team, .316, followed by Shane Victorino’s .295). Let’s not even mention the closer spot–Bob Ford has an unusual take on it–or the worst bench in the National League (Matt Stairs is now 0-29 since the A.S. Break).

Up over and out.

I picked this up from a website called ISporticus:

Because we live in a city where the equilibrium of the collective sports mentality is as stable as Stephon Marbury, people are panicking about the Phils’ recent slump. Sure, they are coming off a 4-game sweep at the hands of the lowly Astros. And with the notable exception of Ryan Howard, the team is in a huge offensive slump (Cliff Lee has the best batting average on the team, .316, followed by Shane Victorino’s .295).

The blogger made a boo boo. It looks like he got Cliff Lee's stats mixed up with the Astros Carlos Lee, but he's still 10 points off. Oh well, not sure what happened, but unless there's a fluke happening I think you take a breather when Cliff comes to the plate.

I feel shame.

Up over and out.

Nah, that wasn't the intent at all. :) My ears always perk up and my tail wags when I see good-hitting pitcher stats and I hadn't heard that of Cliff so I looked it up. He's no Rick Rhoden. ;) The only purpose of correction was so Ghost, yourself and other Yankee fans don't get an ulcer in case there is a Yankee-Phillie World Series and Cliff comes to the plate, that's all.

Boy, NY does not have their mojo tonight--and Girardi's habit of burning through his bullpen has come back to bite them hard here in the top of the 11th. I'm actually glad NY did not win in the bottom of the last inning--although L.A. had been turning the neighborhood play with a bit too much abandon IMO throughout the night, that particular play did not seem to call for suddenly taking it away. Gonna be a hard loss for NY to swallow, but the momentum's been with L.A. ever since the 5th... it's a wonder the Yanks were able to take it this far.

What a crazeee game! :crazy: Incredible that NY pulled this one out--aided yet again by an Angel misplay. And none too soon, as I really thought the war of attrition was going to end up in L.A.'s favor. Have to say once more that I'm really glad that NY did not win as a result of that neighborhood-play call. And that A-Rod hit yet another clutch game-tying HR... he's practically inverted his postseason image in the past two weeks.

Edited by ghost of miles