MLB 2009 Season

I thought this too- but Cliff Lee has never pitched on 3 days rest and he's not comfortable doing it- so I think that whatever Cliff Lee wants- he should get.

That is excatly what the Phillies manager was saying in the paper. Lee has never gone on three days rest and figures this isn't the time to push it.

I'm guessing he figures that at 1-1 this WS is going at least to five games. Then, Lee will be able to pitch a quality start.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm afraid Girardi is charting a dangerous course. While Sabbathia has shown that he's capable of going on short rest, neither Burnett or Pettitte have that kind of history. Needless to say, this emphasizes the importance of having a reliable fourth starter. To me, it also points out the folly of trying to turn Joba Chamerlain into that guy when he was so effective in a set-up role. I'm not so sure that the Yankees haven't messed him up for good by playing this shell came with his career. At any rate, let's take first things first and hope for a solid outing from Pettitte tonight. We can worry about the other stuff later.

Up over and out.

Rain delay, but MLB is saying that they'll play... man, this one will go past midnight for sure.

Wow, it would be a godsend for the Yankees to have the game scrubbed tonight. This would be way better than having a decent fourth starter. Unfortunately with Bud at the helm, I don't think that's going to happen.

Up over and out.

Rain delay, but MLB is saying that they'll play... man, this one will go past midnight for sure.

Definitely.

http://www.accuweather.com/us/pa/philadelp...partner=kyw1060

Not according to the highly reliable gang at weather underground. http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findwe...eekday=Saturday

Up over and out.

Just stuck my head out the door and the rain is coming down pretty good right now. I live about 10-15 minutes from the Bank. If this keeps up they will have to postpone. I don't think they want another debacle like last years Game 5. Shit, now I have to find alternate non-biking means of transportation to the shows.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Hamels looked very good in the first inning (albeit benefiting from a high strike zone IMO) and the Yankees continued to look crappy at the plate. And Citizens Park is definitely louder than Yankee Stadium, for whatever the reason...NY really needs to put up a couple of runs early & quiet them down a bit.

So much for that. Philadelphia is manhandling the Yanks so far...Pettitte's already thrown 60 pitches in just three innings, and Hamel ain't givin' up nothin'. CC will absolutely have to win it tomorrow and NY will be lucky to leave Philadelphia down 3-2, at this rate.

Edited by ghost of miles

Don't give up the ship...it's still early. Opponents have hit well over .300 against Hamels this post-season, so, hopefully, the Yanks will start getting to him just like everyone has. Whoa...hold it...that's a home run for A-Rod. No way they can't turn that call around after the replay. I'm signing off assuming the score is now 3-2.

Up over and out.

Don't give up the ship...it's still early. Opponents have hit well over .300 against Hamels this post-season, so, hopefully, the Yanks will start getting to him just like everyone has. Whoa...hold it...that's a home run for A-Rod. No way they can't turn that call around after the replay. I'm signing off assuming the score is now 3-2.

Up over and out.

They called it a HR on the replay. My concern is how high Pettitte's pitch count already is... we'll be lucky to get 6 innings out of him, and as bad a start as he's had so far tonight, I dread the notion of Hughes or Chamberlain coming on to pitch here at Citizens Park.

But at least A-Rod has kept them in the game with the HR, and Hamels, good as he's pitching so far, is not Cliff Lee. Hopefully that HR will put some spark into the Yankee batting lineup--and we'll see more ALDS/CS-style hitting from A-Rod, now that he's uncorked one.

Edited by ghost of miles

OK, Dave, you were right--game on and then some. Hamels is gone and it's 5-3 NY in the top of the 5th... with Nick Swisher and Andy Pettitte leading the way. :tup Still worried about the bullpen, though--and that's assuming that Pettitte can hold off the Phils for another couple of innings.

Edited by ghost of miles

C'mon Phil Hughes. If you can be as strong as Chamberlain was earlier, it will bode well for the balance of the Series.

Up over and out.

C'mon Phil Hughes. If you can be as strong as Chamberlain was earlier, it will bode well for the balance of the Series.

Up over and out.

So much for that thought.

Up over and out.

That was a nice win. So much for Jimmy "Nostradamus" Rollins and his prediction that the Phils would win the Series in five. I found it highly appropriate that his at bat in the ninth resulted in the 27th out of the game. A truly gutsy performance by Pettitte. He clearly didn't have his best stuff, but he battled, hung in there and wound up with a win. I'm impressed. That's what experience is all about.

Up over and out.

Bummer that we did end up having to bring in Mo--I was really, really hoping that Hughes would follow up on Chamberlain and Marte's good relief spots and that NY could let Mo take the night off. After that homer I don't really blame Girardi, though, for not wanting to risk having Hughes allow another baserunner, with the top of the Phillies lineup to follow. At least Mo threw only 5 pitches to wrap it up.

Still, great to see both A-Rod and Swisher break out of their slumps and for the Yankees to finally get a few hits. My concern for the rest of the series--in addition to the bullpen, though tonight was obvioiusly an improvement in some ways--is the rotation pitching on 3 days' rest from here on out. But at least NY's taken back home-field advantage. Of course, there was a similar pattern in the 2003 WS, which didn't turn out so well...

Edited by ghost of miles

That was a nice win. So much for Jimmy "Nostradamus" Rollins and his prediction that the Phils would win the Series in five. I found it highly appropriate that his at bat in the ninth resulted in the 27th out of the game. A truly gutsy performance by Pettitte. He clearly didn't have his best stuff, but he battled, hung in there and wound up with a win. I'm impressed. That's what experience is all about.

Up over and out.

Agreed--but don't forget, Dave, Rollins said the Phillies would win it in 6 if they decided to be "nice." :rolleyes:

It was great to see Pettite drive in the tying run, btw. And he adds another W to his alltime postseason record... surely something that will be points in his favor down the line for Hall of Fame voters.