• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Tribe better pass the A's by Sept 1st or we might not make the play offs

They got a good start, taking two of three from Seattle. :angry:

Fausto Carmona looked a bit like the 2007 version, and the Tribe bats got to King Felix.

Looks like ex-Indian Franklin Gutierrez is accomplishing more in Seattle than in Cleveland. And vice versa for Luis Valbuena (a banjo hitting shortstop that bats 6th in the Cleveland order but manages to get some clutch extra base hits)--perhaps the next Asdrubal Cabrera?

What's really incredible is that Bruntlett booted the two previous ground balls(only one was ruled an error but both should have been errors,IMHO) which put runners on 1st and 2nd before he got the triple play to end the game. From almost goat to hero in one play!

From Wikipedia:

In a game against the Pittsburgh Pirates on September 20, 1992, he turned an unassisted triple play. In the sixth inning, Morandini caught a line drive off of the bat of Jeff King, touched second base to force out Andy Van Slyke, and tagged out Barry Bonds coming from first base; the Pirates went on to win the game, 3–2, in extra innings.[it was the first unassisted triple play since 1968, and the first in the National League since 1927. Morandini was also the first second baseman in National League history, and the first in the regular season, to turn an unassisted triple play; all previous occurrences were made by first basemen or shortstops. The only other second baseman to achieve the feat prior was Bill Wambsganss, who turned a triple play in the 1920 World Series.

I remember Harry Kalas calling it- he was beside himself!

Randy Ready could have had an unassisted triple play but he flipped to the 1B to get the 3rd out, even though the runner was 5 feet from him and he could have tagged him. That happened around 1990?? I don't recall.

If only John Smoltz could face the Pads every start...

No kidding, especially in that ballpark. Perfect place to debut, or uh, debut again.

He said on Dan Patrick that after being cut by the BoSox he pitched some on a high school diamond and had made an adjustment. Guess that and the lowly team he faced worked. He always comes across a good guy in interviews so I'm happy for him. Plus having had a joint rewired many years ago I have empathy for the difficulties of getting back into the swing o' things too.

I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE IT. I'VE NEVER SEEN A TRIPLE PLAY IN 40 YEARS OF BASEBALL FANDOM MUCH LESS AN UNASSISTED TRIPLE PLAY.

That's the second one this year, has to be a record...

And an unassisted DP to end the game, ta boot.

Hasn't happend since May of 1927 :cool:

The Cubs finally won one against the Dodgers.

I'm afraid they are out of it now.

I'm inclined to agree w/ you but just remember the Mets were up by 7 games w/ 17 to play in 2007 and the Phillies won the division. Still a lot of baseball to play.

Plus Zambrano is coming back, and I just think the Cardinals are a catchable team for some reason. Milton Bradley has been an unmitigated disaster though...

Beckett having a bad outing tonight- 7 runs allowed and it's the 5th inning. As a Yank fan I like it.

Ecstatic to take 2 of 3 at Fenway--I didn't think there was any way we were going to pull off another sweep, but this certainly puts NY in a very good position to potentially lock up the AL East over the next several weeks. And five home runs tonight--what's the current team record for most HRs in a season? Haven't glanced at the team stats lately, but I'd think that NY has a shot at setting a new mark.

Beckett having a bad outing tonight- 7 runs allowed and it's the 5th inning. As a Yank fan I like it.

Ecstatic to take 2 of 3 at Fenway--I didn't think there was any way we were going to pull off another sweep, but this certainly puts NY in a very good position to potentially lock up the AL East over the next several weeks. And five home runs tonight--what's the current team record for most HRs in a season? Haven't glanced at the team stats lately, but I'd think that NY has a shot at setting a new mark.

Most home runs by a Yankee team -- 242 in 2004. The current team has 191 with the five tonight.

The most enjoyable one for me tonight was A-Rod's crushing of a 3-2 curve down the left field line and over the Green Monster as the Sox faithful were standing screaming for an inning ending strikeout. Did my heart good, even though I'm a bigger Matsui fan. Meanwhile Cano giveth and taketh what with his two errors, the second of which gave the Sox one gift run, sandwiched between an impressive shot over the Sox bullpen into the right center field bleachers. After a miserable showing by Beckett over the first five innings, I was surprised that he was able to get his stuff together to record 10, or was it 11 (?), straight outs, before Matsui his his 2nd of the night.