Beatles Remasters coming! 09/09/09

Aggie87

Just received this message from Amazon:

"We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on September 17 2009:

The Beatles "The Beatles Mono Box Set"

Estimated arrival date: October 27 2009 - November 16 2009"

Still a few more weeks but I'm not complaining. At least it will be coming some time.

Just received this message from Amazon:

"We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on September 17 2009:

The Beatles "The Beatles Mono Box Set"

Estimated arrival date: October 27 2009 - November 16 2009"

Still a few more weeks but I'm not complaining. At least it will be coming some time.

"It won't be long (yeah yeah yeah yeah) it won't be lo-o-ong (yeah etc)" ;)

It's a sweet thing and worth the wait!

I must admit to skipping over "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" on any number of occasions.

Does this help your appreciation any? :rlol

I don't know why but I have grown to love that song over the years, I don't know many people that like it though, even the other Beatles hated it. It might have something to do with "Abbey Road" becoming a firm favorite of these re-masters. It's just sooooooooo Beatle-y.

My notice has November 5-9, which is okay with me, I can listen to the stereo mix, get use to them, and then bitch how bad they sound next to the mono's!

I know you're joking but that will actually happen. :cool: :cool: :cool:

I must admit to skipping over "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" on any number of occasions.

I don't know why but I have grown to love that song over the years, I don't know many people that like it though, even the other Beatles hated it. It might have something to do with "Abbey Road" becoming a firm favorite of these re-masters. It's just sooooooooo Beatle-y.

My notice has November 5-9, which is okay with me, I can listen to the stereo mix, get use to them, and then bitch how bad they sound next to the mono's!

I know you're joking but that will actually happen. :cool::cool::cool:

I really am looking forward to the mono versions of the earlier albums. I've been listening to a lot of Beatles lately, and I think they reached their highpoint with Revolver, and after that, I see a decline in the songwriting, with the production overwhelming the music at times. I know that goes counter to what the vast majority of Beatles fans feel, but there is something so attractive to the Beatles up to Revolver, that it fully holds my attention. For me, something gets lost after Revolver, and what that "something" is, I cannot put my finger on, but their music looses some of its attraction for me.

Not completely off topic, just a slant pattern: I'm thinking of getting the George Harrison Dark Horse Box Set, is it worth the $$?

MO-NO BOX! MO-NO BOX! MO-NO BOX!

Er, sorry what was the question again? ;)

*Sigh* I have a four week wait for the MO-NO BOX!

'Money don't get everything, it's true

What it don't get I can't use....'

Swee-eet!!

Not completely off topic, just a slant pattern: I'm thinking of getting the George Harrison Dark Horse Box Set, is it worth the $$?

Swee-eet!!

"Now gimme M-O-O-O-NO. That's what I want (That's what I want.) That's what I waaa-aaa-nt, oh yeah. That's what I want!"

Swee-eet!!

"Now gimme M-O-O-O-NO. That's what I want (That's what I want.) That's what I waaa-aaa-nt, oh yeah. That's what I want!"

:rofl:

swee-eet!

Not completely off topic, just a slant pattern: I'm thinking of getting the George Harrison Dark Horse Box Set, is it worth the $$$?

I like George, but I don't think so. I love All Things Must Pass, but after that I rarely touch the 3 other (studio) solo albums after that that I've owned for 25+ years (which thankfully were all gotten cheaply). If you already own All Things Must Pass I think you could iTune the few other songs you think you want, or maybe find some greatest hits package used. I just always found the stuff after All Things & Concert For Bangladesh to horribly inconsistent and lightweight.

Edited by Quincy

Not completely off topic, just a slant pattern: I'm thinking of getting the George Harrison Dark Horse Box Set, is it worth the $$$?

I like George, but I don't think so. I love All Things Must Pass, but after that I rarely touch the 3 other (studio) solo albums after that that I've owned for 25+ years (which thankfully were all gotten cheaply). If you already own All Things Must Pass I think you could iTune the few other songs you think you want, or maybe find some greatest hits package used. I just always found the stuff after All Things & Concert For Bangladesh to horribly inconsistent and lightweight.

Yup, it wasn't the greatest. I wonder what's its like when your best years are behind you. Heck, what I am saying I'm almost 59 :lol:

I know you're joking but that will actually happen. :cool: :cool: :cool:

The new remaster of Maxwell's sounds incredible. I've never cared much for the song but ,sonically at least, it really caught my attention.

Edited by kinuta

Ah, nostalgia.

Oh yes, Chuck pure nostalgia on our part, listening to the music of our youth. Nothing like when you listen to Duke Ellington, nothing like that at all... :lol::w

Yes, nothing like that at all.

FWIW, the music of my youth was Little Richard, Elvis, Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis and Gene Vincent. I still enjoy those memories but have moved on to other things.

edit for typo

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Ah, nostalgia.

Oh yes, Chuck pure nostalgia on our part, listening to the music of our youth. Nothing like when you listen to Duke Ellington, nothing like that at all... :lol::w

Yes, nothing like that at all.

FWIW, the music of my youth was Little Richard, Elvis, Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis and Gene Vincent. I still enjoy those memories but have moved on to other things.

edit for typo

Just my worthless opinion: It's not the artists fault, and should not affect their worth, or how we see them, that we were young when they were alive and creating great music.

Just my worthless opinion: It's not the artists fault, and should not affect their worth, or how we see them, that we were young when they were alive and creating great music.

Agree, but Chuck brings up a good point. I'm not knocking the Beatles, but they have become little more than nostalgia for me. I have moved on to other things also. Some people may want to buy this stuff for purely musical reasons, but there is definitely a shred or two of nostalgia involved for many buyers. If I were buying any of these reissues - and I'm not - it would be out ofnostalgia.

Agree, but Chuck brings up a good point. I'm not knocking the Beatles, but they have become little more than nostalgia for me. I have moved on to other things also. Some people may want to buy this stuff for purely musical reasons, but there is definitely a shred or two of nostalgia involved for many buyers. If I were buying any of these reissues - and I'm not - it would be out ofnostalgia.

90% of jazz cds, and most of the jazz talk here, centers around nostalgia for a jazz style that is long gone, and now resides in that fuzzy feeling for "days gone by." There would be no jazz market at all, if it wasn't for the longed for past.

90% of jazz cds, and most of the jazz talk here, centers around nostalgia for a jazz style that is long gone, and now resides in that fuzzy feeling for "days gone by." There would be no jazz market at all, if it wasn't for the longed for past.

There is a HUGE difference between liking something from the past for inherently artistic reasons rather than for feelings of nostalgia it evokes.

A lot of the music that I love was created before I was born, but I did not hear it until I may have been in my 20s or 30s. I may not have heard until last week. So there is no nostalgia factor there.

If I listen to music from my childhood, there is at least some nostalgia - it varies from title to title. When I listen to older "classical" music or older jazz, there's virtually no nostalgia, unless they are records that my Dad owned.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

A lot of the music that I love was created before I was born, but I did not hear it until I may have been in my 20s or 30s. I may not have heard until last week. So there is no nostalgia factor there.

That's a good point. I just want to note that the situation you describe is precisely my relationship with the Beatles (and I have to assume that I am not alone). I was born in 1973 and first listened to them seriously in 1995.

Perhaps I'm not the average age on the board (I haven't been here long), but I guess I wanted to make the point that maybe its difficult to generalize about the entire sector of those who are excited by the higher resolution of the Beatles re-issues.

Regardless of how many Beatles hits I've heard, I still heard "Savoy Truffle" for the first time a couple weeks ago. Whenever I binge on any older music it's because I'm learning, hearing some things for the first time and because of that hearing the familiar bits in a new light. I grew up w/ Meet the Beatles in the house, I bought the Let it Be 45 new. In between I had the radio, afterwards it was whatever Beatles I heard wherever I was to hear it. But I never listened intently.

Me and the Beatles now is like me and Lee Morgan 5 years ago. It's suddenly more than the Sidewinder trying to sell a kid a Buick or whatever. I'm learning stuff and really enjoying the music. No nostalgia at all (except when I heard "Hold Me Tight" for the first time in 30-some years:)

Edited by sjarrell