Who's Riding?

I'm embarrassed to say I have a leather jacket and leather pants. Embarrassed because the one time I wrecked, it was in a t-shirt and jeans. Duh.

It's amazing how you can end up with just a half-inch tear in your jeans but have your knee still look like a swollen plate of spaghetti. And all that talk about road rash hurting? It's not true. At least not until the shock wears off...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a cool bike. I had an air-cooled Honda four in my first street bike, a Honda 400-Four I think it was called. A reliable and sporty fella. Had many fun miles on it, including a cross-country trip, believe it or not.

Mine looked like this, without the mudflap.

honda_1977_cb400f_400cc.jpg

Oh yeah, the 400 Fours were beautiful, jewel-like bikes. I've always wanted one, although as was already pointed out they're pretty scarce and collectible now. I saw a nicely restored one at a car show a few months ago - some guy had a really impressive collection of immaculate vintage bikes there, including a Kawi Z1 turbo, an Ariel Square Four, and the only other bike that seriously diverted my attention from the 400 Four, a 6-cylinder Honda CBX.

I've always been fascinated with the CBX - I remember well the impact it made on the motorcycling press when it first appeared in the late 70s, its engine being a streetable descendant of the fearsome RC166 racebike:

Sound of Honda - RC166

YouTube - RC166

A 6-cylinder 250 that revved to 18,000 rpm and made 60hp. In 1966. :rfr

• 5 months later...

I was in a local Victory dealer for my end-of-year oil change and I got to talking with them about the new 2010 Victory Cross Country, Victory's answer to the Harley Street Glide. I came very close to buying a Street Glide when I bought my Kingpin last year, mainly because I wanted a radio and hard bags.

Well, I talked with the owner for quite a while and it turned out I had ridden with him on a couple of group rides this summer. Small world. Then he said, "Let's sit down and see what kind of numbers we can work out". Well, I am pretty positive I'm going to be riding a Cross Country next summer. The deal is too good to pass up. Also, I really want to support this American motorcycle company and try to keep them afloat. I hope my purchase helps.

I'm a little worried because I just love riding my 2008 Kingpin. But at least I'll have hard bags and a radio again.

Kevin

This is a black Cross Country - mine will be in "Solid Midnight Cherry"

2010_Victory_Cross_Country_Motorcycle_Wallpaper%207.jpg

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Cool Kevin. Very happy for you. I still don't like Victor styling, but I don't like Street Glide styling either, and this looks a bit better. Victory is not for me, but I agree that supporting a US company is better than not.

I hope you don't miss the agility and nimbleness of the Kingpin. I rode a Road King this year and though it was fun. . . I definitely did not prefer the ride and handling of the Road King over the Fat Bob. The Fat Bob was much beter in those respects. Plus, leather saddlebags work for me, and I can get hardbags for the Fat Bob if I want them down the road, I don't like windshields and fairing and don't like radio and don't want sounds to distract me on the road.

I'm having so much fun with my Fat Bob, the most exciting bike I've ever had. And not one mechanical problem at all in two years. I'm not a fan of

windshields and fairing and don't like radio and don't want sounds to distract me on the road.

post-83-1257783505_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I took an 8 day 3500 mile trip two weeks ago, got back nine days ago.

Went to Ohio from here (take a pretty direct route though I did decide to go off my northern path and just drive east across Kentucky from Nashville, and anyone who has ever done so on a bike knows why I did). Stayed with my parents in Bay Village a few days and visited with my brothers and their families. Then I went to Arlington, Virginia to visit with my late wife's parents an afternoon, and then down to Richmond to spend the night with my sister and her family. From there I went home.

LOVED every day of it. The bike was like a hot rod for six days on the highways. Yeah, maybe there's a more comfortable bike for this trip, but my Fat Bob handled like a dream (even in the frequent rain, wow I've never had a bike that handled in the rain like this one), pulling up the mountains with ease, gliding down the mountains as if it had wings. I mostly encountered other Harleys on the road, dreseers. There were a lot of Japanese V-Twins too. Any biker that talked to me was astonished that I was making this trip without a windshield or fairing. I just have never had one, and it feels like wimping out to consider one. Anyway, I was not unhappy, spent at least two days with 12 hours or more in the saddle. The Corbin seat really proved itself to be excellent, comfortable and placing me in just the right position for twisting along the highways. I confess I went too fast. It just felt so good.

The last day was the only day it did not rain on me two or more times, and it didn't rain at all. So I drove 830 miles from this side of Nashville to here. Awesome, hot and clear and not a lot of traffic.

Almost seems as if I had taken a trip in a time machine, as I've made a trip to Ohio and back on two wheels six times in my first decade in Texas, and during most of that decade I lived without central air and heat. Well, the day after I returned my AC went out, first it destroyed the breaker in the panel, and when that was repaired the compressor proved to be shot. So I've spent a week without AC. . . not my favorite week of the year!

Anyway, this trip proved to me that the Fat Bob was everything that I wanted it to be. I NEVER had a better vehicle for these trips, and I really don't lust for any other bike. Fat Bob has 12,000 miles on now, and not one problem. None. A lot of things people believe about Harleys just aren't true any longer.

• 1 month later...

Well, I just got my 15,000 mile service and a new rear tire (got a new front tire 1,500 miles ago, I use the hell out of the dual discs on the front of this bike!) and I've almost put 4,000 miles on my bike since I came back from Ohio.

And since I've nothing better to do I guess, and because I've missed both the feel and thrill of the road, and seeing my family since I cam back in the middle of June, I'm heading off on the road to Ohio again next week. Bought a smaller bag to strap on the seat as I'm not bothering to take camping gear this time.

I'm going to go a further North route this time and go through Missouri and stop in at the factory there where they make Dyna Glides and Sportsters; they offer a tour. Should be a nice stop.

I've added some bling since I came back: extended rider pegs (more comfort options), shifter and brake lever pieces from the Silencer collection, a nice bezeled visor for my speedometer (shades the glass nicely), vintage looking visored turn signals and a chrome surround for my brake light. And the biggest benefit was new mirrors, these lock into place, look great, and give me another inch off the bar of vision. A few more changes planned.

• 1 month later...

That second trip to Ohio and back was fantastic. I've been back a month now and want to take another trip! May go on a two day trip this weekend.

I just got in my second Corbin seat, a Classic Solo for the Fat Bob. Love it! Now I can use the solo for day to day riding without Anadina, and save wear on my beautiful Corbin Dual Tour, which can be changed over in a minute if Anadina is coming along or if I'm going on a long trip. I tried a Mustang seat, but it was clearly inferior to the Corbin, Corbin just has comfort and quality hard to beat.

Also installed this week the gloss black derby cover that is a new part for this year and I waited five weeks to be delivered. I think I'm done for a while, I've got the bike the way that I want it and it's so comfortable and so exciting to ride.

The cooler weather is ahead in a few weeks (I think) and I'm really looking forward to THAT.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, the road rash you'd get riding like that! Hell, never mind riding, imagine throwing your leg over and hitting the hot exhaust? Ouch!

BTW, I haven't been able to ride for over a month. Neck & arm are all screwed up. On the bright side, I feel a little safer. The texting while driving crowd is getting bigger and bigger out there. I am constantly in fear of one of these idiots coming into my lane.

Man, don't ride in fear! Why bother? I feel safe enough, I've always been completely in radar mode on the road. Don't have anything to listen to, just into the experience and "on." Don't have even one drink. I've had worse scrapes in a car than on a bike.

Sorry you haven't been able to ride that new bike. I've put over 16,000 miles on the bike since May 1. :D Runs like a dream. Set up the way I want it. So glad I chose this bike.

Edited by jazzbo

• 3 weeks later...

I just order a new bike: a BMW R 1200 GS ADVENTURE, color yellow.

I should get it next week.

A bit sad because I sold my old BMW R 1150 R, after 80.000 km together. I'd have stick with it, still love and like this one, but I am getting older. It hadn't a real good wind shield, the suspensions I mounted, Ohlins, were a bit too "racing oriented" and hard, (I know that you HD riders are use to no suspensions. ;) ) and the loading was an hassle: the lateral bags were small, so for every long trip I had to add two bags that were not locked at the bike. That is a pain in the ass because when one stops for coffee one has to check it the luggage for thieves. And this summer I suffered some back and neck pains because of the set up of the old bike. I definitely need something more confortable for riding.

Edited by porcy62

Well, congrats on the new bike! I was just staring at my old R90/6 out in the garage today. What a bike. Deserves to be someone's part bike, so I may see if anyone needs it soon, been sitting unused for twenty years! Still pressure in the tires, I haven't touched them in all this time.

I'm taking my Harley FXDF in for an inspection this morning. Over 16,000 miles put on in 2010. The best motorcycling year of my life. Still no windshield on mine, or fairing of any kind. Love the feeling of the wind. Long trip season is over. . . eager for another one next year. One of two great things in my life (after years of crap) has been returning to motorcycling.

Well, congrats on the new bike! I was just staring at my old R90/6 out in the garage today. What a bike. Deserves to be someone's part bike, so I may see if anyone needs it soon, been sitting unused for twenty years! Still pressure in the tires, I haven't touched them in all this time.

Thanks.

The reason I usually sell my old beloved bikes, when I get a new one is exactly that: looking at them in the garage I got that unconfortable feeling of looking at a dog on leash, they deserve riding.

Well, I kept this one because it had about 120,000 miles on it and needed a clutch again, and I bought a nicely priced R65 in the meantime, then ended up in love with my late wife who sort of gave me the choice of her or my motorcycle (she was unable to look beyond the fact that motorcycles are dangerous and she was too anxious to let me ride off worrying that she'd never see me again). So I gave up riding, sold the R65 (which is no R90!) and just kept the R90 in the garage (or garages, as we moved once from a rented house a block away to the one we bought). It needs so much work that I think it's best as a parts bike now. . . and I still like having it around.

Well, I kept this one because it had about 120,000 miles on it and needed a clutch again, and I bought a nicely priced R65 in the meantime, then ended up in love with my late wife who sort of gave me the choice of her or my motorcycle (she was unable to look beyond the fact that motorcycles are dangerous and she was too anxious to let me ride off worrying that she'd never see me again). So I gave up riding, sold the R65 (which is no R90!) and just kept the R90 in the garage (or garages, as we moved once from a rented house a block away to the one we bought). It needs so much work that I think it's best as a parts bike now. . . and I still like having it around.

Hey, I'd keep that 90 as well.