Horace Parlan

jazzhound

I really enjoyed the Mosaic box, and can recommend it. I think I liked the sessions more for the sidemen than for Parlan, though - he just seems to have a few basic variations of his style. So I'd also look at BNs where he's a sideman, such as the Stanley Turrentines. Sometimes a person doesn't have to be a leader to add a certain something.

U3 is a good record. I wouldn't say it overwhelmed me, and I haven't played for years, but when I do put it on, I wonder why I don't play it enough. It's one of those dates that just slips through the cracks. So far, I would say "On the Spur of the Moment" is my favorite date, largely for the appearance of Tommy Turrintine.

don't know if I should try and get the Mosaic box. any thoughts?

IMHO, Parlan's SteepleChase recordings are much better than his BN's. At least the trio sessions.

g53087a8kv3.jpg

I share the view that while the Parlan Blue Note recordings are damn good, the many sessions he did for Steeplechase are even better.

Another :tup for 'Speakin' m y Piece' and 'On the Spur of the Moment'.

I'd say these two and Us Three are the "pick of the litter" of the Blue Notes. The SteepleChase recordings are fine, indeed, but another kettle of fish.

edit to say the opening track on BN 4037 is about the best opening track ever. Whatever follows can't fail, with mucho thanks to Rudy.

Edited by Chuck Nessa