Bill Evans, Turn out the Stars, Best Buy $13.99

jazzbo

I just placed the order through Best Buy, thanks so much.

I remember when this first came out (back in 97?) it was almost 100 bucks and I was poor at the time and I borrowed a copy of the box and recorded them to cassette. I only have the single disc comp and love it so it will be nice to have the whole thing on CD. Its a steal at 16 bucks. I love it when Best Buy makes pricing mistakes like they did with that Coltrane Originals Impulse Box set a couple years ago.

Edited by WorldB3

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't this just a pared-down two CD set rather than the full six CDs first issued on Warner Bros. in 1996?

It's hard to tell - it lists as 2 cds, but it is also described as a box set: "Turn Out the Stars: Final Village Vanguard Recordings [bOX SET] [iMPORT]", which is the same title as the domestic edition, minus the import tag.

I ordered this SHM set a while back, but have my doubts whether it will ever appear through Amazon. They had the same kind of offer for the recent Kinks SHM box set, at a great price, and that got cancelled by Amazon for the people who ordered. The same thing could happen with this one.

Isn't this just a pared-down two CD set rather than the full six CDs first issued on Warner Bros. in 1996?

I'm guessing that may be the reason Best Buy is mispricing the set thinking it's the 2-CD set. I ordered and received two of the 6-CD box sets at that price.

For those who have both, I assume that this new Nonesuch release is identical to the original Warner release in terms of mastering, documentation, etc? In other words, for those who have the original Warner box, there's no need to pick up this new box (other than just to get a terrific bargain from Best Buy :))?

I believe the Japanese version is remastered (24 Bit if I remember correctly) so this might also be the case with the new US version. Pease do let us know!!!!

It doesn't really say anything about "new" re-mastering on the one I have, it says "Original location recording, remix and digital mastering: Malcolm Addey." No "re" in there.

I believe the Japanese version is remastered (24 Bit if I remember correctly) so this might also be the case with the new US version. Pease do let us know!!!!

It doesn't really say anything about "new" re-mastering on the one I have, it says "Original location recording, remix and digital mastering: Malcolm Addey." No "re" in there.

Which is that, Cliff--the Japanese release or the new Nonesuch release?

Sorry, should have said it was the Nonesuch release.

Thanks, Lon! Since I can't buy CDs (no place to put 'em), I came up with a win-win "scam". I bought them as a gift for a friend who I'll be visiting - hopefully more than once - in upcoming months, when work takes me through his town. I do love this era of Evans' development. Most of what I already own is on vinyl, which means I haven't heard (or seen) it in a decade or so.

It says the exact same thing in the booklet of the original Warner release. So the Nonesuch adds nothing new.

It says the exact same thing in the booklet of the original Warner release. So the Nonesuch adds nothing new.

Another mystery solved. Now let’s go down to the old Pirates cave and see what those no good smugglers are up too. :excited: :excited: :excited:

Thanks for the info, I have only the original box.

I'm glad this is out again, because it really is fine music, and the original Warner Bros. and the Mosaic vinyl sets are long gone.

I love late Evans (I love early and middle Evans too) and these performances are top-notch. . . . Two "non-jazz" listeners to my home recently have been very interested in these recordings; I had them playing in the background and I was asked to turn them up.

From the Nonesuch web site:

It would take more than 15 years before this material would become available, in an exhaustive, chronologically sequenced six-CD form, on the Warner Brothers label. This Nonesuch reissue contains the original packaging and liner notes, as well as the complete 1996 set.

PRODUCTION CREDITS

Recorded at the Village Vanguard, New York City, June 4-8, 1980

Produced for release by Jeff Levenson and Bill Kirchner

Executive Producer: Matt Pierson

Production Coordinator: Dana Watson

Original sessions produced by Helen Keane

Original location recording, remix, and digital mastering: Malcolm Addey

Original recording assistant: Jon Bobenko

Recorded June 4, 5, 6, 8, 1980, at the Village Vanguard, NYC

Originally released in 1996

http://nonesuch.com/albums/turn-out-the-st...dings-june-1980

So that pretty much confirms that it's a straight reissue of the original 1996 box.