Bill Evans, Turn out the Stars, Best Buy $13.99

jazzbo

The box set "Turn Out the Stars" featuring Bill Evans' final trio live, is back in print and reasonably priced.

This is phenomenal music. This is perhaps (I say perhaps) the best recorded of the final trio's live output and the music is Evans at his best, in my opinion. I'm very happy to see this back in print. I really love this music. It encompasses many moods and feelings and has much for the brain to work on as well.

I like Evans of all periods, but I do reach for this final one a bit more often. In many ways he left us at the top of his piano playing.

Edited by jazzbo

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a 2 CD set, not the entire set (if that makes any sense).

You could be right about that.....although if a 2-cd SHM 'highlights' set was in the works, chances are it would be listed over at HMV Jpn along with the regular SHM 6-disc set that's due out in July. That set is still being described as 'remastered' ? .....a confusing listing for sure.

The box set "Turn Out the Stars" featuring Bill Evans' final trio live, is back in print and reasonably priced.

This is phenomenal music. This is perhaps (I say perhaps) the best recorded of the final trio's live output and the music is Evans at his best, in my opinion. I'm very happy to see this back in print. I really love this music. It encompasses many moods and feelings and has much for the brain to work on as well.

I like Evans of all periods, but I do reach for this final one a bit more often. In many ways he left us at the top of his piano playing.

It is of course a wonderful box set. Proud to say I attended during that week and Evans having mentioned to the audience that all the material was being recorded, I was surprised that it had taken so long for the initial CD box set to come out, not to mention that I thought it would first be released on LP, it being only a couple of months thereafter in 1980 when he passed away.

Edited by MartyJazz

• 3 weeks later...