Your Top 5 Mosaic Wish List

The Complete Recordings of Babs Gonzales. (Michael Cuscuna replied to my suggestion "Lon, you're out of your mind!"

If the lack of original cover art weren't enough, here's another reason to avoid Mosaic.

I thought that was the funniest response I've ever gotten from Michael! I was literally bent over with laughter, it was like he was channelling Babs!

Michael has a clearly defined idea of "commercial potential." It is an integral part of his modus operandi. He may well be right that Babs doesn't meet the criteria. His business is on the line and he is allowed to call the shots.

As for the original art. . .frankly I don't give a fig about original art. It's the music. I'm not an lp collector. It's the music, not the 12" gatefold. Different market for lp collectors. I get you don't like Mosaic, but you're not the target market I don't think.

1 through 5: Original cover art.

TTK, I have an idea. Those who seek out the albums with the original cover art are to some extent enjoying the experience of being a jazz fan when the albums came out.

But Mosaic takes it back further in time. Mosaic, by ignoring the albums and pressing/burning the music in the order it was recorded (including the alternates) is placing their customers in the studio booth alongside Alfred Lion!

Guest Bixieland

Here's my wish list....(7 not 5!)

Bennie Goodman -- Columbia and Okeh Orchestra Sessions (Got bumped by Chu, which was probably wise (thanks Jazzbo!) Many complain of too many alt takes.)

Charlie Parker -- Complete Benedetti Recordings (this one tends to get bumped down all the time!)

Sonny Stitt -- The Complete Roost Sonny Stitt Studio Sessions (If it ever goes back in print...hopefully by Christmas?!)

Hank Mobley -- The Complete Blue Note Hank Mobley Fifties Sessions (as often mentioned in the "Favorite Mosaic.." thread)

Oscar Peterson -- The Complete Clef/Mercury Rec. Of Oscar Peterson Trio (Wonderfully accessible. Gets bumped by more obscure stuff, like Chu.)

Jack Teagarden -- The Complete Roulette Jack Teagarden Sessions (Not much said on this. If I had $70 right now, I'd have a tracking #)

Buddy Rich -- Classic Emarcy, Verve Small Grp Buddy Rich Sessions (I bet this is a sleeper - in terms of its popularity, of course.)

I'd put the Mobley and Teagarden at the top of the list. You definitely don't want to miss out on those.

I've owned the Stitt, but was wholeheartedly unimpressed. It was the only Mosaic set I've returned under the Mosaic satisfaction guarantee. I wasn't proud about it, but $154 is a pretty good chunk of change.

Thanks, I agree: Tea and Mobley. Of course I don't have the cash right now...but if I did!

As for the Stitt, I was on a Stitt-kick late last year, and I suspect I would hold off...unless it went on sale. Or Last Chance. :unsure:

Guest Bixieland

Bennie Goodman -- Columbia and Okeh Orchestra Sessions (Got bumped by Chu, which was probably wise (thanks Jazzbo!) Many complain of too many alt takes.)

Charlie Parker -- Complete Benedetti Recordings (this one tends to get bumped down all the time!)

Sonny Stitt -- The Complete Roost Sonny Stitt Studio Sessions (If it ever goes back in print...hopefully by Christmas?!)

Hank Mobley -- The Complete Blue Note Hank Mobley Fifties Sessions (as often mentioned in the "Favorite Mosaic.." thread)

Oscar Peterson -- The Complete Clef/Mercury Rec. Of Oscar Peterson Trio (Wonderfully accessible. Gets bumped by more obscure stuff, like Chu.)

Jack Teagarden -- The Complete Roulette Jack Teagarden Sessions (Not much said on this. If I had $70 right now, I'd have a tracking #)

Buddy Rich -- Classic Emarcy, Verve Small Grp Buddy Rich Sessions (I bet this is a sleeper - in terms of its popularity, of course.)

I'd put the Mobley and Teagarden at the top of the list. You definitely don't want to miss out on those.

I've owned the Stitt, but was wholeheartedly unimpressed. It was the only Mosaic set I've returned under the Mosaic satisfaction guarantee. I wasn't proud about it, but $154 is a pretty good chunk of change.

I love the Teagarden Roulettes. Jack stretches out on the live stuff from the Roundtable, and his groups, while not full of big names, were really very good. There are also some wonderful shorter things, including a version of "I'm Gettin' Sentimental Over You" that makes you forget Tommy Dorsey ever played it. (To be fair, Dorsey himself was in awe of Teagarden and respected his playing more, I think, than almost anyone else.) I don't know that it's a very big seller, but I think you'll enjoy that set if you get it. 'Course, I'm an old trombone player, so I might be kind of biased!

greg mo

Thanks, that's good to hear. Not much gets said about the Tea set...but that's what I hoped to hear -- that he finds a good groove on the live stuff. I'm not sure how much of it gets into dixieland...but with good dixieland, I feel the ensemble or collective dialogue is where it happens. The solos don't need to carry as much, it's more the intensity and sync of the band. True of most music...yes, but with a lot of jazz...it don't matter as much...just as long as Miles or Trane or Bird was lit. But with real dixieland it happens all at once, all around you.

I love the Teagarden Roulettes. Jack stretches out on the live stuff from the Roundtable, and his groups, while not full of big names, were really very good. There are also some wonderful shorter things, including a version of "I'm Gettin' Sentimental Over You" that makes you forget Tommy Dorsey ever played it. (To be fair, Dorsey himself was in awe of Teagarden and respected his playing more, I think, than almost anyone else.) I don't know that it's a very big seller, but I think you'll enjoy that set if you get it. 'Course, I'm an old trombone player, so I might be kind of biased!

greg mo

Thanks, that's good to hear. Not much gets said about the Tea set...but that's what I hoped to hear -- that he finds a good groove on the live stuff. I'm not sure how much of it gets into dixieland...but with good dixieland, I feel the ensemble or collective dialogue is where it happens. The solos don't need to carry as much, it's more the intensity and sync of the band. True of most music...yes, but with a lot of jazz...it don't matter as much...just as long as Miles or Trane or Bird was lit. But with real dixieland it happens all at once, all around you.

The whole issue of Dixieland is an interesting one with Teagarden. Many of the songs are the "old [often tired] favorites," and it is also true that he often repeated licks (especially when he played in the All Stars with Armstrong), but for me at least, he seemed to find some fresh things to say on the live stuff at the Roundtable, and some of the other material was different as well. I think he was enjoying something of a renaissance in his last years with Roulette and with Verve.

greg mo

We get it. Unlike most around here, you don't like Mosaic. Good luck with persuading others to avoid them.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. The thread asked for our Mosaic wish lists; My wish is for the original cover art to accompany their releases. Since we're indulging in an exercise of fantasy, why should my fantasy be any less valid than yours?

We get it. Unlike most around here, you don't like Mosaic. Good luck with persuading others to avoid them.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. The thread asked for our Mosaic wish lists; My wish is for the original cover art to accompany their releases. Since we're indulging in an exercise of fantasy, why should my fantasy be any less valid than yours?

Some think it is about music. <_<

• 3 months later...

Time to get this thread back on topic, I think.

My OOP wishlist:

1. Hall/Johnson/De Paris/Dickenson Blue Note

2. Sidney Bechet Blue Note

3. George Lewis Blue Note

4. Columbia Condon Mob

5. I can't decide...one of the Roulette Basie's, or one of the complete Commodores.

My IP wishlist:

1. Beiderbecke/Trumbauer/Teagarden (it's in the mail!)

2. The 30s Ellington set, when it comes out

3. Columbia & Okeh Goodman Orchestra

4. Shaw Bluebird & Victor

5. Armstrong Decca

I just ordered the Bix after the EMI master disaster, because I thought Mosaic probably needed the order. (O.K., and I really wanted it. I'm selfish. You caught me.) I'll probably cave and order one of the others soon--probably the Goodman, because I have more of the Shaw and Armstrong already.

List of IP sets:

Joe Pass

Woody Herman

Louis Armstrong

Johnny Smith

Chu Berry

My OOP list:

The Complete Verve Recordings of the Buddy De Franco Quartet/Quintet with Sonny Clark

The Complete Atlantic and EMI Jazz Recordings of Shorty Rogers

The Complete CBS Recording of Eddie Condon and His All Stars

The Complete Aladdin Recordings of Amos Milburn

The Atlantic New Orleans Jazz Sessions

My OOP list:

The Complete CBS Recording of Eddie Condon and His All Stars

The Atlantic New Orleans Jazz Sessions

These are the last two I picked up this year. I found both without booklet & box, one as individual CDs at Amazon, and one as a set on eBay. They were relatively inexpensive (about $20/CD), so there's some hope there!

List of IP sets:

Joe Pass

Woody Herman

Louis Armstrong

Johnny Smith

Chu Berry

Of the five sets you mention, four of them are currently on hiatus. Given what seems to be going on at Mosaic, I'm beginning to wonder if we'll ever see these again. One of the criteria used to determine if a set should be reprinted has to have been based on how well it was selling. That's why it's no surprise that the Armstrong has been available all along. He's money. The others? Not so much. Unless Mosaic can somehow extricate itself from the financial situation in which they currently find themselves, it would make no sense to allocate resources to the manufacture of product that isn't going to move.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

I have 20 of the big boxes and 5 selects. There really isn't a lot out there available or out-of-pint that I'd really be itching for vs. "would be nice to have". There would have been many more but by chance, I ran into someone who was willing to trade copies of OOP sets (apologies to those who are offended by such practices) so that filled a lot of titles that would have been on my wish list. Having said that I'd like to have:

1. Elvin Jones

2. Dizzy Gillespie

3. Randy Weston Select

4. Gerry Mulligan Concert Band

I posted this less than 4 months ago and I've already changed my mind. Since then, I was able to get copies of the Elvin Jones (owned several months and I haven't even finished listening to it yet) and the Gerry Mulligan. I'm really not that interested in the Gillespie or the Weston any longer. Right now I think I'd be interested in:

1. Charles Tolliver Select

2. Andrew Hill Select #16

I was thinking I'd like the Grachan Moncur III Select but I think I would be just as happy spending half the money and getting the 3 remaining Moncur and McLean titles (I already have "Evolution") which would give me everything but about 8 songs that appear on the Select. Four months from now I'll probably have changed my mind again. Maybe I should just settle for being content with what I have.

Edited by mikelz777

Have all the IP sets I want (hey, it's an addiction, ok?)

Of the OOP sets, I'd like:

Nat King Cole trio set

Commodore sets (though I'd prefer cds to LPs, and those were LP only)

Art Hodes

Albert Ammons/Meade Lux Lewis

Have all the sessions from the Grant Green/Sonny Clark set been reissued by Blue Note?

greg mo