Great sessions that are....

connoisseur series500

I just bought Cedar Walton's "Naima: Live at Boomer's" today in a store. I think I paid $8 or something (I try not to remember prices :g ) AND I was thinking...man this is GREAT!!! It sounds as good as just about anything else I've got.

Half.com offers used copies for the $4-5 range and this should be a great bargain. So often we go chasing expensive cds when cheap but excellent stuff is sitting there under our noses.

Give some other examples...

No examples, Moose?

Shit, I thought you were king of chea...oops I mean king of...er bovine-like creatures with horns! :P

:P:lol: Actually, most of my bargain examples would just be stuff I've picked up on eBay that no one else was interested in! Rather than doing a search, I just check the "going going gone" jazz listings. It's only good on rainy days when there's not much to do, or you feel lazy, because it's not very productive. Most days there just isn't anything cheap enough.

Okay, let me clarify for everyone:

Give us examples of stuff that is generally cheap as opposed to something which is cheap RIGHT NOW!!

(Of course, it wouldn't hurt to tell us what's cheap right now as well. :P )

And what's cheap? Say, generally under $10 or around that. How's that?

Edited by connoisseur series500

There are a handful of titles in the Naxos Jazz series, which are very good. And at $6.99 to $7.99 a pop, they are very cheap too.

I'll look through what I've got, and make some recomendations. I know I have at least two UMO Jazz Orchestra discs on Naxos (which are both great), and four or five other titles - all of which escape me at the moment.

I just bought Cedar Walton's "Naima: Live at Boomer's" today in a store. I think I paid $8 or something (I try not to remember prices :g ) AND I was thinking...man this is GREAT!!! It sounds as good as just about anything else I've got.

Half.com offers used copies for the $4-5 range and this should be a great bargain. So often we go chasing expensive cds when cheap but excellent stuff is sitting there under our noses.

Give some other examples...

Hey Conn, not to divert the thread too far off track, but can you expound upon the virtues of the "Naima" CD? I saw it recently for around $4.00, thought about it, but passed. Partly because of the price! In a great example of ass-backward thinking on my part, I thought the low price might be an indicator that the session was something of a dud. Not sure how with Walton and Clifford Jordan, et al. I wonder if others have had the same reaction, i.e. low price = low desirability ?

A sampling from BMGs $1.99 Clearance section:

Don Byron - "Romance With The Unseen"

Ravi Coltrane - "Moving Pictures"

Bob Dorough & Dave Fishberg - "Who's On First?"

Tom Harrell - "The Art Of Rhythm"

Joe Lovano - "Celebrating Sinatra"

Eric Reed - "Manhattan Melodies"

The Art of Rhythym is a f***ing bargain!!!

On the other hand, Celebrating Sinatra is fairly priced... :g

Hey Conn, not to divert the thread too far off track, but can you expound upon the virtues of the "Naima" CD?  I saw it recently for around $4.00, thought about it, but passed.  Partly because of the price!  In a great example of ass-backward thinking on my part, I thought the low price might be an indicator that the session was something of a dud.  Not sure how with Walton and Clifford Jordan, et al.  I wonder if others have had the same reaction, i.e. low price = low desirability ?

I've listened to it about four times now, Leeway; not enough to give a full critique but let me just tell you that this is as good as anything else I've got. Beautiful playing by Cedar Walton.

Cliff Jordan is not on all the tracks. Look up "Live at Boomers" (Cedar Walton) in AMG and you will see that Yanow likes the two sessions as well. This 32jazz reissue covers both the live sessions. I mean, "how much of a bargain do you need?"

You will not be disappointed. It is simply beautiful music.

Edited by connoisseur series500