"The Odd Couple" Theme -- nice jazz guitar version

Larry Kart

While dining at my local McDonalds tonight, I heard a very swinging, surprisingly creative recording of "The Odd Couple" theme -- guitar plus piano-led rhythm section, both guitarist and pianist solo, maybe four to five minutes in all. For a milli-second I thought Barney Kessel, but the guy (or girl) was harmonically almost in Pat Martino territory, thought I don't think it was Martino, and Google searching doesn't produce a Martino recording anyhow. At first glance, all I could find to listen to on the 'Net was a bit of Russell Malone's recording, but I don't think that's the one -- Malone's tempo is bit more "down" than what I heard at Mickey D's, and the player I heard sounded more inventive than what I recall from Malone. Any thoughts?

Here's a 2-page AMG list with a few jazz versions with sound samples. I have no idea which ones are guitar versions. I hope this helps :)

I'm not familiar with any version by them, but the three jazz guitarists that I recognize on that list are the aforementioned Malone, Larry Carlton, and the great Martin Taylor. The Carlton recording is listed as being from 1968... I think I never actually heard that album.

Any thoughts?

Yes. Dinner at McDonald's, Larry? Is that really the best you can do? ;)

If I'm in the mood, there's nothing better than a double quarter-pounder with cheese meal, and chipotole sauce instead of ketchup to dip the fries into. I also like the medium chocolate shakes, but never with the double-quarter pounder with chese meal; that would be insane. A shake is for odd times of the day and for medicinal purposes (mood regulation).

I remember telling a friend of mine, who's a topnotch food writer for the Chicago Tribune, that the McDonald's in my neighborhood is the best one I've ever found. She looked at me like I was crazy or was maybe putting her on. I could be crazy but wasn't putting her on.

None of the tracks on the AMG list is what I heard, I'm pretty sure. The Malone is close, but it hits me as I said above, though I'd have to hear his solo to be absolutely certain.

If I'm in the mood, there's nothing better than a double quarter-pounder with cheese meal..

No meal for me, thanks, but the sandwich itself is a darn user-friendly (in every sense, including "taste") item if one want/needs/chooses to scarf while driving.

If I'm in the mood, there's nothing better than a double quarter-pounder with cheese meal..

No meal for me, thanks, but the sandwich itself is a darn user-friendly (in every sense, including "taste") item if one want/needs/chooses to scarf while driving.

Well, that one of the reasons my local Mickey D's is so good -- the fries are always hot and crisp and never too salty. Can't resist, but also once a week is about my limit.

While dining at my local McDonalds tonight, I heard a very swinging, surprisingly creative recording of "The Odd Couple" theme -- guitar plus piano-led rhythm section, both guitarist and pianist solo, maybe four to five minutes in all. For a milli-second I thought Barney Kessel, but the guy (or girl) was harmonically almost in Pat Martino territory, thought I don't think it was Martino, and Google searching doesn't produce a Martino recording anyhow. At first glance, all I could find to listen to on the 'Net was a bit of Russell Malone's recording, but I don't think that's the one -- Malone's tempo is bit more "down" than what I heard at Mickey D's, and the player I heard sounded more inventive than what I recall from Malone. Any thoughts?

Any chance it was from this?

Herb Geller

That's one hip McDonald's you go to, Larry.

They tune into some decent stuff. In the jazz guitar vein, I've heard a fair amount there from the Poll Winners trio (Kessel, Brown, Manne), some Kenny Burrell, etc. Occasionally an extra little bit of something catches your attention, like the harmonic intensity this guy (whoever he was) poured into his "Odd Couple" solo.