NYT: They've Got Those Old, Hard-To-Find Blues

I saw this yesterday, a very interesting article. What I found especially interesting is that these collectors don't take the approach that record dealers would, of severely undervaluing the 78 some old, probably pretty poor person happens to have. Instead they are willing to pay a very pretty penny for what they are so desperate to find.

Just read it this moment (a friend sent me the link). It is truly amazing how much these guys are willing to pay for one of these records. The 78 collectors of today (at least the ones who collect blues and country) are a completely different breed from the ones who went house to house buying 78s for a dollar during the 50s and 60s.

Those who collect 78s of international music tend to pay less than these guys, because they are not seen as being as valuable (although they are certainly as rare, in most cases).

I have a good friend who grew up in Grafton, Wisconsin, and indeed, there seemed to be absolutely no hint of the city's rich blues heritage whenever I visited. I understand that a blues festival has been held there in recent years, building on the Paramount history, but the townspeople have not seem infused with blues knowledge and enthusiasm.