I think I've reached a turning point

Big Al

As much as I love my jazz collection, sometimes I think the hunt is more fun than the actual acquisition. It's kind of an exciting buzz discovering, hunting, searching, finding and then the anticipation of waiting for the CDs to arrive. I love hearing the new music but once I have it in my hands, it isn't long before my mind is pondering other possible buys. I think I need to ponder what it is that makes me feel more excited about the hunt than owning and listening to what I have in hand. I easily have hundreds of titles that would be like new to me when I gave them a spin. I have to somehow transition my brain to embrace that concept and cut back on the new acquisitions.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I love my jazz collection, sometimes I think the hunt is more fun than the actual acquisition. It's kind of an exciting buzz discovering, hunting, searching, finding and then the anticipation of waiting for the CDs to arrive. I love hearing the new music but once I have it in my hands, it isn't long before my mind is pondering other possible buys. I think I need to ponder what it is that makes me feel more excited about the hunt than owning and listening to what I have in hand. I easily have hundreds of titles that would be like new to me when I gave them a spin. I have to somehow transition my brain to embrace that concept and cut back on the new acquisitions.

Only natural in that we are descended from hunter-gatherers. Loving "the hunt" is in our genes.

I started playing World of Warcraft. The game provides hours of hunting, gathering, fighting, and discovering. It seems to have fulfilled my need to hunt for jazz titles since I get to hunt for items in the game. All for only $15 per month. And no need for extra shelf space for the newly-purchased CDs.

With my hunting/gathering needs tended to, I've been content listening to the large jazz collection I already own while playing the computer game. :mellow:

...have also slowed down on cd buying. Probably picking up more books these days and picking up some new camera equipment is taking it's toll. I probably go to more shows/festivals now than ever before and I've always gone to a lot of them. The expenses associated with going out of town to festivals (hotels/food/flights/cds) are out of hand and I guess the money has to come from somewhere and much of it has come out of cd purchases. I've also put on a couple events to benefit local Indy musicians and some of those funds come out of my pocket.

It helps to live in a decent-sized town, but I've found that going online to check what the public library has and then reserving discs can trick the brain into thinking it's bought something. It's also a great way to check out (duh, literally) artists or how certain releases sound which is especially useful for older jazz & blues releases. (Honest, I don't burn what I check out. At this stage I'm more than happy to let the library store "my" copy of lots of releases! Though once in a great while I end up buying a title that I've checked out.) Libraries tend to be forgotten in the sample/stream/torrent world, but they're still useful if you're lucky enough to live someplace that has a good one.

It helps to live in a decent-sized town, but I've found that going online to check what the public library has and then reserving discs can trick the brain into thinking it's bought something.

what also helps is writing a few lines about an album after listening online (substitute liner notes so to say)... keeps me from buying to some extent (though i've written a pretty stupid book in the last few months...)

Edited by Niko

No turning back for me!

The enjoyment of music has never been a hobby to me, but a passion.

I thought years ago that when I would retire I would stop buying new items and just keep my listening time to what I already have.

But I continue to look for so many items and discover/rediscover the full extent of the music. How beautifully exciting to be able to listen to Johnny Dodds, then Ruby Braff, Warne Marsh before checking some Sun Ra. It never stops. And I don't want it to stop.

Amen. There's always unheard music to listen to or previously heard music to revisit. For me, being tired of listening to music would be like being tired of life and living. Hope that never happens. I don't believe that it will.

Yes, I'm a record collector, and "the hunt" is a rush. But the music is foremost. And if I go through a period when I get tired of something, I turn to something else for awhile. If free jazz isn't doing it for me, I listen to early jazz, or blues or classical or New Orleans brass band music or Mississippi fife and drum music or bluegrass or klezmer or....

Well, there's always something else to recharge my batteries. I couldn't go for a day without listening to music.

I'm afraid the personal upheavals of the past couple of years have driven me back into my youth as far as music goes; I'm more likely to be listening to seventies post-punk, or eighties (dare I say it) new wave, or even sixties rock than I am jazz. I feel like I'm here under false pretenses anymore...

I'm afraid the personal upheavals of the past couple of years have driven me back into my youth as far as music goes; I'm more likely to be listening to seventies post-punk, or eighties (dare I say it) new wave, or even sixties rock than I am jazz. I feel like I'm here under false pretenses anymore...

I've kind of been that way for a few years now, stopped ignoring rock and went back to exploring both newer artists and also bands that I missed out on when they originally "happened". Plus then there's the whole retro/stoner/doom stuff that I'm addicted to.

Still listen to jazz from time to time, but I have to be in the right mood for it these days.