Tabatha doesn't like jazz. So there!

I've always believed - and pretty much found that chicks and jazz exist on different planets - if they like you they'll usually go along with your/our main thing in life. But occasionally I'm surprised - like at party a couple of weeks ago, totally unprompted, this 40ish woman confided how while she wasn't into jazz by any stretch of the imagination, she was crazy about Hawk's original 'Body & Soul'....she even sang, accurately the first few bars

I've always believed - and pretty much found that chicks and jazz exist on different planets - if they like you they'll usually go along with your/our main thing in life. But occasionally I'm surprised - like at party a couple of weeks ago, totally unprompted, this 40ish woman confided how while she wasn't into jazz by any stretch of the imagination, she was crazy about Hawk's original 'Body & Soul'....she even sang, accurately the first few bars

Did you marry her? :rolleyes:

Guest Bill Barton

Did you marry her? :rolleyes:

If not, tell her she should move here :lol:

I started this, I better end it: turns out Tabatha Southey IS an expert on jazz, as shown by a web search:

Tabatha Southey Articles by Tabatha Southey. Style. Behind the Cotton Curtain. The hazards of cross-cultural bra shopping. The Walrus July/Aug 2009 ...

www.walrusmagazine.com/author/tabatha-southey/

Tabatha Southey - The Globe and Mail columnist Tabatha Southey has written the Elle Girl column for Elle Canada magazine for four years. ...

www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/.../tabatha-southey/

This dispute's Carnivore's tenet that "I've always believed - and pretty much found that chicks and jazz exist on different planets". Cross-cultural bra shopping, Elle Girl columnist, jazz... What RANGE!

This dispute's Carnivore's tenet that "I've always believed - and pretty much found that chicks and jazz exist on different planets". Cross-cultural bra shopping, Elle Girl columnist, jazz... What RANGE!

I don't get it; she doesn't like jazz. Why should she be an expert on it?

I don't get it; she doesn't like jazz. Why should she be an expert on it?

Or, OTOH, why should she write about it at all? Why would the paper give her space to expound on something she knows nothing about? Would they give that much room to her to her opinions on Iraq or oil production in the Arctic, based on her experience as a bra-shooper? I doubt it -- they'd be excoriated for allowing uninformed opinion.

I guess it's my (out-dated) expectation that a newspaper should be on a higher plane, somehow, than Ms. Southey's self-indulgent blog writing. Just an opinion, nothing to get excited about...

I

Or, OTOH, why should she write about it at all? Why would the paper give her space to expound on something she knows nothing about? Would they give that much room to her to her opinions on Iraq or oil production in the Arctic, based on her experience as a bra-shooper? I doubt it -- they'd be excoriated for allowing uninformed opinion.

I'm not sure I agree. The majority of reporting I've seen on subjects I'm knowledgable about seems to be pretty scattershot, which is why I have little faith in the reporting on subjects I don't know. I see your point, though.