What Bop tune is based on "Indiana"

medjuck

Saw Lyle Lovett and his large band last night. Before he came on stage the band played "(Way Back Home In) Indiana" and at one point did a chorus of a bop tune I recognized but I couldn't remember the name or composer. Can anyone help? (Similarly The Ellington band used to play How High the Moon and do a couple of choruses of Ornithology in the midst of it.)

Edited by medjuck

AKA "Contrafacts"

Donna Lee (Back Home in Indiana)

Ornithology (How High the Moon)

Groovin' High (Whispering)

Half Nelson (Ladybird)

Countdown (Tune Up)

Prince Albert (All the Things You Are)

Chick's Tune (You Stepped Out of a Dream)

Hot House (What is this Thing Called Love)

Fried Bananas (It Could Happen To You)

Quicksilver (Lover come Back to Me)

KoKo (Cherokee)

...to name but a few. Plus a bunch of Tristano tunes....

Edited by Free For All

As for authorship, I think this was initially credited to Charlie Parker but has been later established that it was Miles Davis who wrote it. As for the title, IIRC Donna Lee was bassist Curley Russell's daughter? (I think Allen Lowe was the source for this?).

Two other "Indiana" contrafacts from those years are "Tiny's Con" and Fats Navarro's "Ice Freezes Red".

Fernando

Donna Lee!! That 's it. What's "Fried Bananas"?

Listening to it on Rhapsody right now and I'm pretty sure it's a contrafact of It Could Happen to You.

Edit: D'oh, missed FFA's post above.

Countdown is only a quasi-contrafact. It's Tune Up radically reharmonized with Coltrane substitutions, just like he did to "Confirmation" to make "26-2".

Edited by Big Wheel

yes, Fried Bananas is It Could Happen to You,

and yes, Curley told me about Donna Lee being named, in the studio, after his daughter.

Years ago I had an interesting correspondence with the composer Johnny Green about using standard changes to re-write jazz lines. He was adamant that the changes to things like Body and Soul and Out of Nowhere belonged to him, no matter the tune, and told me of having successfully sued Hawkins when he did his post- Body and Soul improv without stating the melody. The name Hawk gave it escapes me now, but it's well known - Koester reissued it on Delmark -

Edited by AllenLowe

yes, Rainbow Mist - but from what I recall Green actually won his lawsuit and Hawkins had to pay royalties.

Green was a difficult guy, but he did send me some sheet music.

and let's not forget - Donna is Sweet Georgia Brown.

and Relaxin with Lee is - who knows -

Edited by AllenLowe

yes, Rainbow Mist - but from what I recall Green actually won his lawsuit and Hawkins had to pay royalties.

Green was a difficult guy, but he did send me some sheet music.

Doesn't prove anything either way, but on p. 288 of John Chilton's Hawkins bio, there is this 1957 quote from Green (after he'd listened to Hawkins' album of ballads with string orchestra backing, "The Gilded Hawk"): "If the improviser can improve on what the composer wrote instead of destroying it, more power to his embouchure."