Svend Asmussen

Durium

SVEND ASMUSSEN

Asmussen%20(2009).jpg

When I play, I'm like a child with wondrous toys, it's like ice-skating or skiing when I was ten. This experience of freedom and joy matches perfectly the music recorded on the cd, also captured in the chosen title "Makin' Whoopee ... And Music", I think. (Jørgen Larsen)

Asmussen%20(1).jpg

Ellen Bick Asmussen emphasizes the meaning of "whoopee" as "expressing exuberant joy, rejoicing noisily" especially for the fact that Svend Asmussen is still going strong. And she adds: Perhaps we should create a new idiomatic expression: "Still going Svend!".

Svend Asmussen: Makin' Whoopee ... and Music

Keep swinging

Durium

An amazing player.

There are lots of crappy looking Arbor Jazz covers, but they don't represent the quality of the music within! I may pick this one up.

Hans-Send-ellen.jpg

I met him and his wife Ellen four years ago in Copenhagen - real nice persons, full of great stories from his 70 years career (!) in music with all the great names: Fats Waller, Benny Goodman, Oscar Alemán ( this Argentine musician and friend of Svend was the reason of our meeting), Josephine Baker and Duke Ellington, to name some. And it is amazing to hear him play his instrument at this age - incredible - a real entertainer! Still Going Svend

Svend Asmussen: Makin' Whoopee ... and Music

Keep swinging

Durium

Edited by Durium