Questions of an LP-novice.

Bol

So, I am thinking of buying a turntable. I have sort of inherited the Mosaic Commodore sets, and would like to buy a turntable to play the LPs. I have a couple of naive questions that I hope someone could answer.

(1) Where does one buy LPs? I see that Mosaic/True Blue sells LPs. But are there internet sellers who offer better prices? I am of course talking about new LPs. There is a local record store that sells new LPs, but their selection is very limited.

(2) I see that there are multiple versions of many recordings -- with different weights of vinyl designated. Which version is worth getting and what exactly are the advantages of heavier vinyl versions? I am expecting (or at least hoping) that I won't get into LPs very much. I am thinking that over time I will get 20-40 of my favorite jazz recordings in LPs. So I won't mind spending a little extra on each LP if the improvements in sounds or in longevity of LPs is marked.

Thanks in advance for your answers!!

Edited by Bol

(2) I see that there are multiple versions of many recordings -- with different weights of vinyl designated. Which version is worth getting and what exactly are the advantages of heavier vinyl versions? I am expecting (or at least hoping) that I won't get into LPs very much. I am thinking that over time I will get 20-40 of my favorite jazz recordings in LPs. So I won't mind spending a little extra on each LP if the improvements in sounds or in longevity of LPs is marked.

Weight is not that relevant. In principle, heavier vinly should be flatter and stabler.

But the big difference is in the mastering quality. Some new reissue LPs (many of those selling for $10-20) are made from CD masters, even in case of old analogue recordings. Others are new transfers from the original tapes, by top mastering engineers. The difference in sound quality can be huge, but there is no general rule on which type of reissue sounds best.

But the big difference is in the mastering quality. Some new reissue LPs (many of those selling for $10-20) are made from CD masters, even in case of old analogue recordings. Others are new transfers from the original tapes, by top mastering engineers. The difference in sound quality can be huge, but there is no general rule on which type of reissue sounds best.

That is very good to know. So, do LPs that have been newly remastered for the LP release say so obviously on the packaging? Or do you need to do more investigation to know?

There are a bunch of LPs released by a company called Classic Records. These are marked as "Audiophile" LPs on Mosaic/True Blue website. Are these the kind of records that you are talking about?

Thanks a lot.

You live in Austin, so I would hit up End of an Ear (S. 1st, one block N. of Oltorf) and Backspin (Airport at 46th). Friends of Sound isn't worth it mostly because of their attitude. Waterloo is "OK" for new reissues but you'd do better somewhere like EOAE.

Backspin is almost entirely used records, but still a good store, no attitude whatsoever.

Edited by gvopedz

That is very good to know. So, do LPs that have been newly remastered for the LP release say so obviously on the packaging? Or do you need to do more investigation to know?

Reissue LPs that have been remastered usually say so in the fine print on the back cover and give the name of the remastering studio and/or engineer. But what does that tell you about the quality of the remastering?

Nothing much - except for certain "quality" remastering engineer names such as John R.T. Davies for certain classic jazz/swing reissues. Some people can't even seem to agree on whether all RVG remasters are THAT good. ;) Ears and listening preferences differ, you know.

The same, incidentally, goes for CD remasters.

In short, impossible to answer your question on a general level. But generally speaking, do not make too much of a mystery of LPs and their mastering quality. It's the MEDIUM that's the main and basic difference vs CDs, not the mastering. There are goods and bads both sides of the fence.