Late Night Jazz Records

Norm

If you're like me, the day of the week (or at least weekday vs. weekend) as well as time of day has a big impact on the type of jazz CD I'm inclined to reach for. So on those late nights when others in your household have retired but you're still working on a project, writing or doing something else, what do you reach for?

A few of my favorites are for this time are:

-- Miles Davis The Complete In a Silent Way Sessions

-- Grant Green Idle Moments

-- Thelonious Monk Thelonious Himself

So when its Round About Midnight, what sounds particularly good to you?

Edited by Norm

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

off the top of my head, stuff i've recently played more than once in such settings:

Eric Dolphy - Iron Man

John Coltrane - Traneing In

John Coltrane - Settin' the Pace

Grant Green - Talkin' About

Soft Machine - Third

Enrico Rava - New York Days

if i still have to work at 3 usually lighter fare such as Elliott Smith...

played Steve Kuhn's Mostly Coltrane for the first time yesterday and felt it might be a great late night alternative to those Coltrane Prestige Albums

Edited by Niko

Ah no - I play the Jones/Lewis when I want that groovy, soulful, swinging stuff... I'd never have thought of that one as late night listening... guess I got to give it a try one day!

Some Basie small group jams might also be nice. Or Hawkins on Riverside and Prestige (the two that got the RVG treatment come to mind, but also the Hawk/Lockjaw one, and all the other stuff with Flanagan, on Prestige and Verve and Impulse).

Also the bossa albums... Ike Quebec (actually not just his bossa, but all of his comeback albums on BN), Hawkins, Getz...

Also Ellington meets Hawkins and Ellington meets Coltrane, and Coltrane/Johnny Hartman and "Ballads", and the Impulse "Coltrane" also... and maybe "Lush Life" and "Soultrane" from his Prestige time.

Also the Grant Green one with Quebec! What's it called, "Born to Be Blue"?

And "Hoagy Sings Carmichael" on Pacific Jazz.

Then the crooners... Joe Williams "Men Ain't Supposed to Cry", some Little Jimmy Scott (the Wonderful one produced by Ray Charles), maybe the ballad album by Mel Tormé, and of course the ultimate one for the wee small hours... yup, Sinatra's "In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning"!

Incidentally, to the uninitiated jazz in general is seen as late-night music. <_<

actually, most of my first jazz albums i play late at night, miles davis (rarely play him these days, don't really know why) and horace silver's song for my father (every year in those hours before i get one year older...) [but when they were new to me i played them all the time...]

post nr 3000! thank you jim, i know i'm not an easy poster!

If you're like me, the day of the week (or at least weekday vs. weekend) as well as time of day has a big impact on the type of jazz CD I'm inclined to reach for. So on those late nights when others in your household have retired but you're still working on a project, writing or doing something else, what do you reach for?

A few of my favorites are for this time are:

-- Miles Davis The Complete In a Silent Way Sessions

-- Grant Green Idle Moments

-- Thelonious Monk Thelonious Himself

So when its Round About Midnight, what sounds particularly good to you?

Damn, read the thread title and I thought 'Late Night Records' was a label----and was already trying to get a date :excited::party: