Cafe Society Chicago, 1941

Big Beat Steve

Can anybody identify the musicians shown in this picture?

http://www.shorpy.com/node/6866?size=_original

No idea about the singer, but somehow the pianist bears some resemblance to Cliff Jackson, the sax man looks a bit like Jack McVea, and I wonder if the drummer could be Jackie "Moms" Mabley on some "special assignment". ;) But I doubt it's any of them.

Anybody got any clue?

And BTW, you better disregard the comments relating to that pic on that website. ;) Most contributors totally miss the point of the image, it seems, and even fail to see the picture within the framework of ITS time instead of judging it from today's point of view (all that transgender nonsense, etc.).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Somehow I seemed to remember one of the "name" clubs from New York had a sort of spinoff in Chicago and it might well have been Cafe Society (disregarding the one that exists today) so I did not question that caption but I have been unable to find any written proof of this so my memory may be playing tricks on me.

Maybe it really is so that the title of that Shorpy photo was not meant to hint at that particular club but rather at the "society" to be found in (night club) "cafes".

Yet this leaves the question about the musicians' identitfy unanswered.

The recent comment on Shorpy claiming that the dude at the mike looks like Earl Hines and naming a lot of women drummers cited in "Swing Shift" certainly is way off the mark.

BTW, I feel the attire of the woman drummer isn't all that out of the ordinary for those times and in those settings (check period photographs of Moms Mabley and Gladys Bentley, for example).

Any clues, anybody?

Any experts on black Chicago jazz of the 40s around here?

I guess if there'd be an extremely thoroughly document book like "Before Motown" (on pre-1960 Detroit jazz) the wuestion would be far easier to settle. ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

on robert campbell's pages there are some mentions of a Cafe De Society at 309 East Garfield in Chicago in the Forties... if it really bugs you i would consider sending an email there (though your picture is slightly before the time frame of that page...)

here, for instance http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~campber/hytone.html

"The original address of the Melody Lane Recording Company was 323-B East 55th Street, Chicago---the address of the Melody Lane Record Shop, owned by Williams. In the mid-1940s, 55th Street, also called Garfield Boulevard, was one of the peppiest streets for South Side nightlife. The major clubs it boasted included the Club DeLisa (5521 South State), Cafe De Society (309 East Garfield), the Hurricane Show Lounge (349 East Garfield), and the Rhumboogie Club (343 East Garfield). The last (for details see our Rhumboogie page) was probably the most prestigious of the clubs on the street, though it was on its way downhill by then. Thus, Williams was placed right in the center of a hot entertainment area, where he probably was inspired to record some of the talent he saw in the nearby clubs."

Edited by Niko

Holeee sheeeet .... :excited: I had checked this very website on Chicage postwar R&B labels (Red Saunders Archive) this morning in the hope of finding something there but word searches did not yield anything so I gave up ...

Thanks for checking this, Niko!!

So let's assume this really MAY have been the CLub Society in CHI. And no, it doesn't bug me beyond that statement. ;)

Anyway, my main question was about the identity of the musicians. THAT's what I'd like to find out.

Holeee sheeeet .... :excited: I had checked this very website on Chicage postwar R&B labels (Red Saunders Archive) this morning in the hope of finding something there but word searches did not yield anything so I gave up ...

the trick is to enter something like this into google...

"cafe society" site:clemson.edu