Roy Eldridge

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I emailed Mosaic twice regarding this...The answer I got after the second email was that yes, "the photo is reversed" and that "Roy is using some type of glass mouthpiece".

It is NOT any kind of a mouthpiece, glass or otherwise! It is the device that Mike Fitzgerald posted a link to. Somebody should get back w/Mosaic on this before more misinformation gets spread.

I showed the picture of the Visualizer to my son, who's a fairly good high school trumpeter, and he says that in spite of the fact that there's no mouthpiece per se, just the ring and the two posts holding it in place, that you can still play on one of those things because if the player's airflow is properly focused, supported, and directed, the airstream will not dissipate and will go right into the horn inspite of the open space surrounding it, and produce a sound.

I don't know if he was pulling my leg, or if the last 6 1/2 years of private lessons he's been getting have been for naught, or if he's actually correcct, but that's what he says. Either way, that ain't no mouthpiece.

Edited by JSngry

I emailed Mosaic twice regarding this...The answer I got after the second email was that yes, "the photo is reversed" and that "Roy is using some type of glass mouthpiece".

It is NOT any kind of a mouthpiece, glass or otherwise! It is the device that Mike Fitzgerald posted a link to. Somebody should get back w/Mosaic on this before more misinformation gets spread.

I showed the picture of the Visualizer to my son, who's a fairly good high school trumpeter, and he says that in spite of the fact that there's no mouthpiece per se, just the ring and the two posts holding it in place, that you can still play on one of those things because if the player's airflow is properly focused, supported, and directed, the airstream will not dissipate and will go right into the horn inspite of the open space surrounding it, and produce a sound.

I don't know if he was pulling my leg, or if the last 6 1/2 years of private lessons he's been getting have been for naught, or if he's actually correcct, but that's what he says. Either way, that ain't no mouthpiece.

I don't know much about trumpets but that did not look like any mouthpiece I ever saw. When I emailed Mosaic the second time to let them know about Mike Fitzgerald's information and hypothesis that the photo could have been taken in a mirror I figured they'd run with it: "Yeah..... that's it.....he's studying his embouchure.....Yeah..... and the picture was actually taken in a mirror so it's not really reversed and we didn't really screw up....... That's our story and we're sticking with it" <_<

Instead I get this glass mouthpiece answer :wacko:

You can lead a horse to water....... :wacko:

Edited by Ed Swinnich

FWIW, I think the date on the cover photo for the Tristano set is wrong as well: should be 1958, not 1959

Is it the Duncan Schiedt photo from the Indiana Theater in Indianapolis? If so, I think 1959's correct, David. They were playing there on the same bill as Cannonball (it was one of those "Stars of Jazz" 50's tours); afterwards, Duncan went down to the Missile Room w/Adderley to catch Wes Montgomery's trio--which led to Cannonball charging around Indpls. at 2 in the morning, trying to find a phone to call Orrin Keepnews (or so the story goes...)

Hoping my Eldridge set shows up today... I'm raring to hear it. All I've heard & have to date are the LITTLE JAZZ: BEST OF THE VERVE YEARS comp. and SWINGIN' ON THE TOWN. Particularly curious to hear the rest of the session which produced "I Remember Harlem."

CD Universe

Roy Eldridge : The Complete Verve S 

Click on price to put in cart

(you can always remove it later)      $91.11

Add To Wish List 

Status Pre-Order Now! Available: Monday, December 15, 2003

List Price $124.98

(You save $33.87)

Category Jazz

Label Verve / Polydr H

CDU Part# 6631086

Catalog# 001636

#Media 1

Street Date Dec 15, 2003

Does anyone know what this is all about? Although the full title is not given, it appears to be the Complete Verve Studio Sessions. Does this overlap the Mosaic set? The number of media is listed as "1", obviously an error in view of the set price.

Is Mosaic simultaneously shipping some of these out to retailers?

I was thinking that might be a possibility, as Blue Note/Mosaic and Verve have had a number of joint ventures lately.

I asked "customer service" at CD Universe if they knew anything about it; they didn't. Amazon isn't even listing it. It would be quite something to find Mosaics selling on a site like CD Universe.

What is the Roy Eldridge Style ??

Mosaic put Roy on his "Modern Jazz " list , but when i listen to the audio clips on the Roy page , i think the sound is not "modern" but like "Swing era" . I need the point of view of "Organissimo" members before ordering the box

The opinion of this Organissimo member is that Roy Eldridge was not just one of the greatest jazz trumpeter, no, greatest jazz musicians of all time, but was also a force of nature the likes of which have been few and far between.

He was also one of the all time great people to throw a few down with. I had the pleasure a few times. He was an instant friend and confidant - completely open, nothing held back.

CD Universe

Add To Wish List 

List Price $124.98

(You save $33.87)

Category Jazz

Label Verve / Polydr H

CDU Part# 6631086

Catalog# 001636

#Media 1

Street Date Dec 15, 2003

Does anyone know what this is all about? Although the full title is not given, it appears to be the Complete Verve Studio Sessions. Does this overlap the Mosaic set? The number of media is listed as "1", obviously an error in view of the set price.

My guess is this is an import of the European version of the set, which is being sold by Verve there.

Is there any difference in the set itself? If not, CD Universe's price of $91.11 is a nice saving from Mosaic's price of $119...

Edited by alankin

CD Universe

Add To Wish List 

List Price $124.98

(You save $33.87)

Category Jazz

Label Verve / Polydr H

CDU Part# 6631086

Catalog# 001636

#Media 1

Street Date Dec 15, 2003

My guess is this is an import of the European version of the set, which is being sold by Verve there.

Is there any difference in the set itself? If not, CD Universe's price of $91.11 is a nice saving from Mosaic's price of $119...

Does the European set have the same box and/or booklet? Is there a link where I can get a look at what is being offered in the Old World?

I would think the packaging has to be different. If so, I'd rather pay more and get Mosaic's box and documentation (reversed image and all).

Haven't yet seen the Eldridge set in shops here, but the Mulligan, another Verve, showed up at EUR 60,00! Completely identical to the Mosaic, i.e. part of their pressing. If you carefuly read their webpages, they announced this from the start, that some copies would be available through retailers.

Edited by mikeweil

From the Roy Eldridge page in the new Mosaic catalog:

"In collaboration with the Verve Music Group, the Eldridge set is expected to be available at retail sources OUTSIDE North America shortly after its initial November 2003 release. These sets are part of the limited edition of 7500."

So we do have the spectacle of reversed photos (very obvious in the booklet, where pictures of Roy on facing pages 2 & 3 show him playing left-handed on 2, right-handed on 3, his watch on opposing wrists as well--wow, how did they miss that one? ^_^ ), but I find the picture on pg. 9 pretty damned funny, too: Alvin Stoller sitting at a drum-set in a Ludwig publicity photo, grinning maniacally while he holds a gun in his right hand.

Good fun to hear the alternate takes of "Dale's Wail" on disc 1. And disc 2, with Peterson/Ellis/Brown backing up Roy (with either Alvin Stoller or Buddy Rioh on drums) is some of the most warm, reflective jazz I've heard in awhile. I know "warm" is surely one of the most over-used adjectives when it comes to describing someone's playing, but I'll be damned if Roy Eldridge doesn't actually make me feel warmer, both emotionally and physically, when I listen to him. Hoping to listen to Disc 3 in a little while, but so far this set is living up to the expectations that my LITTLE JAZZ compilation CD had built up in me.

This is a treasure trove of great music in a variety of settings. While I have never been a big fan of those Verve string sessions, I really dig the excitement of those jam sessions with Diz, Benny Carter and Sweets Edison. I've listened to most of this set and its very satisfying. Mosaic has really done themselves proud with both the Mulligan and the Eldridge sets in 2003!

Am I the only person to feel whose enthusiasm is dampened by reversed photos, damaged source tapes and missing tracks? I just feel that if the marketing pitch is quality, detail and care then those things should be 100% present. Maybe you guys are more tolerant than I am, or maybe its just old age. These sets cost an average $100 each. Maybe I expect too much? There just seems to be evidence of carelessness...

Am I the only person to feel whose enthusiasm is dampened by reversed photos, damaged source tapes and missing tracks?

Are there missing tracks from the Eldridge, David? I know they overlooked a couple of tracks on the Hodges set... The reversed-photo business does seem needlessly sloppy, particularly when there were facing reversed-photo pages in the booklet, as I noted earlier.

In the end, I'm not too irked--I'm grateful that a company like Mosaic exists to put this music out. But they do seem a bit careless of late. I also wonder if the anticipated "downward pressure" on CD prices will make some of the marginal/occasional buyers more reluctant to bite on a Mosaic.

Am I the only person to feel whose enthusiasm is dampened by reversed photos, damaged source tapes and missing tracks? I just feel that if the marketing pitch is quality, detail and care then those things should be 100% present. Maybe you guys are more tolerant than I am, or maybe its just old age. These sets cost an average $100 each. Maybe I expect too much? There just seems to be evidence of carelessness...

Well, I haven't got this set yet, but I concur with you, David. All this does speak of an uncharacteristic carlessness on Mosaic's part. Could it be that Michael Cuscuna is not paying as much personal attention to each set as he used to? I have been listening to some of my Phil Woods Mosaic set today. I'm sure glad they didn't reverse Phil's picture on that. It would drive me nuts to see his hands upside down, so to speak, especially on the cover.

Are there missing tracks from the Eldridge, David? I know they overlooked a couple of tracks on the Hodges set...

No nothing missing on the Eldridge that I know of. I was generalizing about recent issues. There was a query on the completeness of the Mulligan set which is unresolved. I notice that Deutsche Grammophon have started to imitate the Mosaic model with a series of historic classical sets which are editorially good if less lavish, and come out much cheaper than the comparable deluxe jazz set.

I'm delighted to have the music available. I've had most of this stuff on 10" lps, 12" lps, Japanese lp reissues, etc. I had to sell the bulk of my collection a decade ago and Verve has not "done right" by Roy. I would buy this set if they came in plain paper sleeves. I'm bothered by whines about flopped negatives. Buy a friggin' mirror if it bothers you so much.