old Manhattan jazz clubs

Norm

I was just reading the liner notes for the Wynton Kelly Trio / Wes Montgomery CD, Smokin' at the Half Note , and came across a passage that mentioned several legendary jazz clubs that operated in Manhatten back in the day:

The Half Note

the Village Vanguard

the Village Gate

the Five Spot

Slugs

I'm wondering if any veterans who witnessed live jazz at one of these venues back in the day have any stories to share with us newcomers. Who'd you see play? Any memorable experiences? Which was your favorite of these clubs and why? ...Or just take it where ever you like :)

There's a board member here who was at Slug's the night Lee Morgan was killed (he left not long before Morgan was shot, iirc).

A friend of mine here in B-town--now deceased--told me some wonderful stories about seeing Charlie Parker and Bud Powell at the Royal Roost and Birdland in the late 1940s and early 50s.

I'd be interested in hearing stories about Chicago jazz clubs of lore, but that would be another thread.

The Cafe Bohemia is still there (in the form of a generic sports bar), but all of the wood and floors appear original.

Not a bar, but I love going to the 125th St. brownstone that was the site of Art Kane's 'A Great Day In Harlem' shoot. When I took some photos of it a few visits ago, a cab pulled up and an older, very distinguished society lady got out and ran inside. I felt like telling her how lucky she was to live at an address with such a history, but she probably wouldn't have cared.