Sports: 2009/10 NBA & NCAA Basketball Season

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching the Spurs/Hornets season opener tonight, man this Spurs team could be good. It's DEEP, with the additions of Richard Jefferson, Antonio McDyess, and DeJuan Blair added to the Big 3. And George Hill is playing well early, as is Roger Mason Jr. Barring injuries to Duncan & Ginobili, which always seem to happen, this team could go very deep in the playoffs.

Watching the Spurs/Hornets season opener tonight, man this Spurs team could be good. It's DEEP, with the additions of Richard Jefferson, Antonio McDyess, and DeJuan Blair added to the Big 3. And George Hill is playing well early, as is Roger Mason Jr. Barring injuries to Duncan & Ginobili, which always seem to happen, this team could go very deep in the playoffs.

No doubt, a healthy Spurs team will definitely pose the biggest threat to the Lakers out West. The Jazz, Nuggets, and Blazers will be feisty but aren't scary like the Spurs.

Out East, the Celtics and Magic are better than the Cavs as far as I'm concerned. Shaq wasn't intimidating on the Suns and isn't intimidating on the Cavs. He's fat, old, and slow. It's going to be a failed experiment and ultimately will contribute to LeBron James departing Cleveland.

Of course, all of this is barring injuries on any team.

Out East, the Celtics and Magic are better than the Cavs as far as I'm concerned. Shaq wasn't intimidating on the Suns and isn't intimidating on the Cavs. He's fat, old, and slow. It's going to be a failed experiment and ultimately will contribute to LeBron James departing Cleveland.

Hell, Shaq was fat and slow when he was a Laker. I can't remember when he wasn't overweight. His mass was his strength though, physically able to manhandle the lighter big guys on the other teams.

I agree that it's probably going to be a failure though, in Cleveland.

No doubt, a healthy Spurs team will definitely pose the biggest threat to the Lakers out West. The Jazz, Nuggets, and Blazers will be feisty but aren't scary like the Spurs.

Of course, all of this is barring injuries on any team.

Magic looked scary good last night. Granted they were playing the Sixers at home but that game was over midway through the 2nd period.

SS1, you want to add "NCAA" to the thread title or should we start a separate topic?

Hell, Shaq was fat and slow when he was a Laker.

I disagree, Agg. Shaq was young and fast when he was a Laker. He could elevate, move his feet on defense, block shots, run the floor on a fast break, beat his man to a spot on the block consistently...and can't consistently do any of those things anymore.

Hell, Shaq was fat and slow when he was a Laker.

I disagree, Agg. Shaq was young and fast when he was a Laker. He could elevate, move his feet on defense, block shots, run the floor on a fast break, beat his man to a spot on the block consistently...and can't consistently do any of those things anymore.

The Shaq experiment in Cleveland has a long way to go. I think he actually reported in pretty good shape (all that swimming against Michael Phelps I guess), given his age and size. I don't see how Shaq can be a bust in Cleveland. Perhaps a dud that doesn't quite live up to hyped expectations. Recall what they gave up for him? Anybody? An ancient Ben Wallace and a serial underachiever named Sasha Pavlovic. What other big man could they have gotten for those two stiffs, Chris Bosh??

Cavs have started out slowly. 4 games in 5 nights to start the season. Flu bug taking out a lot of players (incl LeBron) for a few preseason games. It's also true that Coach Brown hasn't figured stuff out yet. Will he be able to figure out an offense without Koester around? We shall see. He has already played Shaq and Ilgauskas at the same time for lots of minutes, despite not doing it at all during the preseason.

Forget about Shaq. The real key will be whether Delonte West can stabilize and play well like he did last year. Sure it was the Bobcats, but Cavs were much better, especially on perimeter defense with Delonte in the rotation. Anthony Parker has also played well. Still waiting for the arrival of Jamario Moon.

I think Shaq's performance will have little effect on LeBron's next contract. It's LeBron's team, and if Shaq doesn't fit in as well as hoped, Z will get more of the minutes as center.

Sure it was against the Wiz, but Shaq plays 29 minutes, 7/9 from the field, 7/10 from the line for 21 pts, 8 rebounds, 3 assists including a beauty to Anderson Varajao. Got all the Washington bigs into early foul trouble. Commanded a double team. Opened up the floor for Cavs outside shooters, mainly Gibson and Mo Williams. Cavs recover from 18 pt deficit early in second period. And LeBron played only 36 minutes. Obviously, every night won't be like this for Shaq, but every night does not need to be like this for Shaq.

Edited by Patrick

Sure it was against the Magic without Rashard Lewis on the end of a back-to-back, but Shaq plays 20 minutes, 4/8 from the field, 10 points, 4 rebounds. Perhaps not that impressive, but Shaq got all the Orlando bigs into early foul trouble. Dwight Howard plays 32 minutes, scores only 11, and grabs only 7 rebounds. Floor opened up for Mo Williams who hit his first 9 shots and finished with 28. LeBron scores 36 in (just) 39 minutes. Lousy officiating at both ends. Hopefully Cavs good play will continue Thursday in Miami.

Delonte West did not dress because (in part) he failed to make the flight down to Florida. It's sad but it looks like Delonte's issues may play a large role with the Cavs all season long (not just a re-equilibration at the beginning of the season like last year). Team trying to stay positive and firm. DWest may play against Heat.

Go Kareem. When I first tried to pronounce his name (as a 7 yr old), I said "Karom" (rhymes with harem) "Abdle" "Jabber" (rhymes with stabber). Went 0 for 3 on that one.

• 3 weeks later...

I think there's probably a more appropriate thread than this one (isn't there one about jazzy styled images in non-jazz places or something like that?), but I don't know where to find it, so it's here.

Some very cool images in the new Miami Heat intro videos, where each player gets a BN-style album cover:

97168314.jpg

34928892.jpg

I'd paste them all, but they're in some funky format, had to transfer those two to imageshack first.