Sports: 2009/10 NBA & NCAA Basketball Season

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Derek Fisher is talking with the Heat today about joining the team.

Will be interesting to see who all ends up joining that team now.

I would be sorry about that, since I thought Derek was taking less money to stay in LA for his little girl's eye problem (of course, maybe treatment went well and is almost over). Is he really that worried about LA being dethroned by Miami? I really do find it hard to believe some of the jumped up rhetoric (outside Cleveland). Owners have been colluding since the beginning of time. Now the players do it, and they're somehow getting out of line?

I would be sorry about that, since I thought Derek was taking less money to stay in LA for his little girl's eye problem (of course, maybe treatment went well and is almost over). Is he really that worried about LA being dethroned by Miami?

From what I gathered, L.A. has been trying to low-ball him on a new contract or something, so he's checking out other options.

From the LA Times - "The Lakers have offered Fisher about $5 million over two years. He made $5 million last season and was hoping to secure a multi-year deal worth that much annually."

Maybe he's feeling insulted at them trying to cut his pay 50%, when they also just signed free agent guard Steve Blake to a 4 yr $16M contract.

Edited by Aggie87

I would be sorry about that, since I thought Derek was taking less money to stay in LA for his little girl's eye problem (of course, maybe treatment went well and is almost over). Is he really that worried about LA being dethroned by Miami?

From what I gathered, L.A. has been trying to low-ball him on a new contract or something, so he's checking out other options.

From the LA Times - "The Lakers have offered Fisher about $5 million over two years. He made $5 million last season and was hoping to secure a multi-year deal worth that much annually."

Maybe he's feeling insulted at them trying to cut his pay 50%, when they also just signed free agent guard Steve Blake to a 4 yr $16M contract.

So he's feeling disrespected by LA (which I can certainly understand) for a contract worth $2.5 million a year (harder to feel his pain here, but ok) but then he goes to Miami which is pretty much trying to sign a bunch of ring-hungry role players for $1 million each? Isn't that the score? Miami is going to be looking to pay everyone else the league minimum...

So he's feeling disrespected by LA (which I can certainly understand) for a contract worth $2.5 million a year (harder to feel his pain here, but ok) but then he goes to Miami which is pretty much trying to sign a bunch of ring-hungry role players for $1 million each? Isn't that the score? Miami is going to be looking to pay everyone else the league minimum...

I think Miami offered him $4 mill. So, it's OK. He'd be doing it out of greed. :D

:bad: now from Jesse Jackson - no doubt this fueled Stern's $100,000 fine today.

Rev. Jesse L. Jackson Sr. Reacts to Dan Gilbert's Open Letter

"Mr. Dan Gilbert's accusations, expressed in an open letter to LeBron James after his announcement that he will play next year's NBA season for the Miami Heat, have legal and social implications for the league, its union and the character of LeBron James. By saying that he has gotten a free pass and that people have covered for him way too long, Gilbert suggests that LeBron has done something illegal or illicit.

He speaks as an owner of LeBron and not the owner of the Cleveland Cavaliers. His feelings of betrayal personify a slave master mentality. He sees LeBron as a runaway slave. This is an owner employee relationship--between business partners--and LeBron honored his contract.

He must know the Curt Flood suit, which changed plantation rules and created free agency; and the Spencer Haywood suit that changed eligibility rules.

If he believes that LeBron quit in games 2, 4, 5 and 6 of the 2010 Eastern Conference semifinals, then, why did he fire the coach? If he believes that LeBron intentionally quit, determining the outcome of those games, why did he pursue him and offer him and additional $120 million to stay in Cleveland?

rainbow push

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

The more I read about Gilbert the more I think LeBron did the right thing by getting out of Cleveland. Gilbert definitely has something wrong with him. Don't necessarily agree w/ the way LeBron did it but, I think people would have been pissed at him regardless. If he had texted something like Durant did he would have been called an insensitive bastard. Leaving Cleveland was a lose/lose situation for him in terms of PR.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I have to say it's been a pretty wild ride watching the Bulls in Chicago. I don't think anyone would have expected 55+ wins this season. From just hoping they made it past the first round in the playoffs to thinking they have a legitimate shot of getting out of the East. Wow. Now if Boston hadn't made that stupid trade, I would probably go with the Celtics, but they are not going to be able to pull it together with Shaq and whatever other rent-a-center they have. The Heat are a legitimate threat for sure, though they still are not much of a team, and often lost to teams with really good defense. So I guess we'll see pretty soon.

Here's hoping the Bulls and Magic send the Celtics and Heat packing. I'd be pleased as punch to see Paulette "The Actress" Pierce and Queen James eat a big shitburger.

I think I read that if Celtics and Heat stay at #2 and #3, they actually face each other to get into the Conf. Finals. I could live with that. Honestly, I'd rather face Celtics than Heat over 7 games. Of all the match-ups, I think Bulls would do worst against the Magic, though oddly enough Omar Asik did an amazing job keeping Dwight Howard off balance, while Noah was pretty useless. Lighting might not strike twice though, esp. over 7 games.

I think the Bulls are still improving in their play, and are going to be very tough to beat in the playoffs. My cystal ball says: Lakers vs. Bulls in the finals. The Heat seem to be missing something as a team, and D-Wade seems to be put-out to be taking a backseat to LBJ -- I would so love a one-and-done by the Heat.

Here's hoping the Bulls and Magic send the Celtics and Heat packing. I'd be pleased as punch to see Paulette "The Actress" Pierce and Queen James eat a big shitburger.

I think I read that if Celtics and Heat stay at #2 and #3, they actually face each other to get into the Conf. Finals. I could live with that. Honestly, I'd rather face Celtics than Heat over 7 games. Of all the match-ups, I think Bulls would do worst against the Magic, though oddly enough Omar Asik did an amazing job keeping Dwight Howard off balance, while Noah was pretty useless. Lighting might not strike twice though, esp. over 7 games.

It's close either way, but I'd rather face the Heat in the conference finals. A team needs depth to succeed in the postseason, and the Heat ain't got that (the Bulls, however, got it in spades). Also, the Heat are weak with their big men. Boozer, Noah, Asik, Gibson, and even good ol' Kurt Thomas should have a field day with the Heat's lineup. Not to mention, aren't the Bulls three and oh against the Heat this season, whereas I think the Bulls can only salvage a season split against the Celtics if they win on Thursday.

Of course, that's assuming a lot way too early. While I think the Bulls pretty much have the top seed wrapped up, there's actual games that gotta be played. Indiana is showing evidence of a strong finish to their season and Orlando can't be overlooked. The Bulls are going to have to work big time to get to the conference finals.

Sure is fun watching them, though. Didn't expect this season to unfold like it did.

It's close either way, but I'd rather face the Heat in the conference finals. A team needs depth to succeed in the postseason, and the Heat ain't got that (the Bulls, however, got it in spades). Also, the Heat are weak with their big men. Boozer, Noah, Asik, Gibson, and even good ol' Kurt Thomas should have a field day with the Heat's lineup. Not to mention, aren't the Bulls three and oh against the Heat this season, whereas I think the Bulls can only salvage a season split against the Celtics if they win on Thursday.

Of course, that's assuming a lot way too early. While I think the Bulls pretty much have the top seed wrapped up, there's actual games that gotta be played. Indiana is showing evidence of a strong finish to their season and Orlando can't be overlooked. The Bulls are going to have to work big time to get to the conference finals.

Sure is fun watching them, though. Didn't expect this season to unfold like it did.

I realize that one game does not say that much about playoff outcomes, but the Bulls spanked the Celtics (and really got in their heads). In general, I think the Celtics have been moving in the wrong direction since "the trade," and I would still rather face them than the Heat in the Eastern Conf. Finals. But in terms of the second round, that will probably be against the Magic, and that could be a really tough match up. We'll see.