Sports: 2009/10 NBA & NCAA Basketball Season

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If folks are looking for unspoiled, mature, humble human beings among the ranks of pro athletes, they're going to be disappointed more often than not.

Rose, Durant, Nash, Duncan are a few who seem to know how not to make asses of themselves. It's not impossible.

Dirk reads!

It's one of the several "unusual activities" he was asked about at this afternoon's presser, music being another.

True story - a few years ago, a friend who will not be named here was playing a local gig, and Dirk's "people" came up, said that Dirk was thinking about coming by later on, had been taking sax lessons for a few months now, and could he sit in? And could the band play some easy tunes so Dirk would look good?

My friends response is alleged to have contained more than a few f-bombs, the gist of it being that Dirk could sit in and be made to look good when the band could be allowed to take the court during gametime and be allowed to score at will. Also mentioned was the likelihood that the band would probably have a better chance at scoring sooner than Dirk would have at playing serious jazz.

Dirk did not come by that night, but according to his comments today, he's been playing guitar for a long time now and seriously likes playing Zepplin & Stones tunes.

Way to go Mavericks!

The better TEAM certainly won the championship.

Miami may have a better collection of talent, but that don't matter if they don't have heart or chemistry.

(said as someone who generally likes Dwyane Wade, and was impressed by Chris Bosh and Chalmers).

Way to go Mavericks!

The better TEAM certainly won the championship.

Miami may have a better collection of talent, but that don't matter if they don't have heart or chemistry.

(said as someone who generally likes Dwyane Wade, and was impressed by Chris Bosh and Chalmers).

:tup

Only talent is never enough.

30 years of heartbreak, frustration, thinking we'd never have a shot at redemption... this is a happy day.

Can't really find the love, still, for this team and.or organization, so much of the failure has been self-inflicted, so much of it a stubborn refusal to deal with the obvious, and when the proselytes for the deification of Dirk and Terry knock on my door, said door will be roundly and unambiguously slammed in their face, but...

BUT...

I'd be lying if I said that it was not gratifying, not satisfying, but at least gratifying (which at this point is all I really have a taste for), to see a Mavericks team maintain focus, stay disciplined, follow a game plan to completion, in short, to find a plan that works and stick with it all the way through. Could have happened long before now, should have happened long before now.

Also gratifying to watch a Miami team just kinda sit there and wait for their greatness to explode, not realizing that the opposition had them totally figured out and that if they wanted an explosion, they were going to have to dig deep and find a way. Instead they got a coach who was telling them to "stay the course" when they were down by nine in the third quarter of an elimination game. Yeah, stay the course, keep losing, don't make any adjustments or bump your your intenisty with your season on the line, just stay the freakin' course, the course that's got you on the verge of failure. The players actually seemed to believe that bullshit!

Any Mavericks fan from 2006 on can tell you where "staying the course" of a clearly failing plan takes you. What will be interesting to see is if the Mavericks organization, finally realizing the follies of their way and finally getting some legitimate help in the middle (and elsewhere) instead of putting it all on Dirk's back, continues to see the wisdom of the changes they have made and continue to use the new model going forth. You'd think they would, but...Dirk has never been, never wanted to be, and never will be "The Man", that's not his game, that's not his mindset, but Cuban has insisted that (i.e. - built the team like) it was - until this season. Mark Cuban's irrational assessment of Dirk's very real talents may well have cost this team more than one championship. It's definitely cost them the respectability that comes from consistently being able to go deep in the playoffs.

Anyway, the long-overdue Mavs championship feels to me like a formerly close friend paying back a loan 5 years after it was due. Don't really need the money now, have pretty much moved on from those times, but appreciate the thought anyway, glad you've finally got your act together, and good luck going forth.

And Cuban insisting that the trophy first be presented to Don Carter was a truly class act by a man who doesn't always seem to have a class act in his repertoire. Big kudos for that one!

30 years of heartbreak, frustration, thinking we'd never have a shot at redemption... this is a happy day.

Also gratifying to watch a Miami team just kinda sit there and wait for their greatness to explode, not realizing that the opposition had them totally figured out and that if they wanted an explosion, they were going to have to dig deep and find a way. Instead they got a coach who was telling them to "stay the course" when they were down by nine in the third quarter of an elimination game. Yeah, stay the course, keep losing, don't make any adjustments or bump your your intenisty with your season on the line, just stay the freakin' course, the course that's got you on the verge of failure. The players actually seemed to believe that bullshit!

And Cuban insisting that the trophy first be presented to Don Carter was a truly class act by a man who doesn't always seem to have a class act in his repertoire. Big kudos for that one!

Whether it was too calculated or not, I agree presenting the trophy to Carter was a class act. I think a lot of people liked that and may be willing to cut Cuban a bit more slack going forward. He does seem to finally realized he needs to tone it down a bit as well. He actually showed some restraint from time to time in press conferences.

I wonder a bit about the stay the course thing, though in reference to the Bulls. I thought Thibs did a lot right, but he was a bit too stubborn in the Heat series, only playing Kurt Thomas when it was absolutely necessary. I honestly think that cost the Bulls 2 games (probably still would have lost in 7). Now to be fair, the Bulls are built a little bit like Cleveland was -- a superstar and some decent role players (though they played harder on defense than Cleveland typically did). In the playoffs, teams had figured out that really they just had to triple Rose and if the others were having an off night, that was it. The cubbord was pretty much bare for Thibs. The good news is that the management does realize this and is trying to bring in some reinforcements (and I presume Thibs would play them :unsure:), but who knows if there will even be a next season. :wacko:

"Staying the course" only works if things are working, or if you see signs that your initial frustrations will eventually be overcome. Miami was never able to open up a lead and keep it open, and once Barrea began starting for Dallas, they were hardly able to get a lead to try to keep open. People here were stressing out about games 4, 5, & 6, but I was kinda like, hey - if these Heat guys were going to figure it out and bust it wide open, they'd have done so by now, or at least come really close. But the way the games were going told me that they hadn't figured it out, and weren't going to.

My son thinks I'm dissing Dallas by saying that the Heat folded, that I'm not giving the Mavs proper credit for shutting the Heat down like they did, but I give the Mavs full credit for figuring out how to do it and for indeed staying the course on something that was working. What I don't give the Mavs credit for, because none is needed, is for the Heat not feeling the heat (no pun intended) of the situation they found themselves in and proceeding accordingly. It was a throwback to '06 & '07 when Dirk was getting a bunch of noise for not driving the lane more when that was what the games were demanding. "They're not letting me do that", was his response. Well DUH, you stupid m-f, OF COURSE they're not "letting you", you got to find a way.

I saw the Mavs play - consistently play - the kind of defense against Miami that I had thought was impossible for them to play, at least on a consistent and sustained basis. But they did, and Miami was acting like they were using they "they're not letting me" mindset take them over.

That was a recipe for disaster for the Mavs then, and it was one for the Heat now.

But hey - stay the course!

Can't really find the love, still, for this team and.or organization, so much of the failure has been self-inflicted, so much of it a stubborn refusal to deal with the obvious, and when the proselytes for the deification of Dirk and Terry knock on my door, said door will be roundly and unambiguously slammed in their face, but...

BUT...

I'd be lying if I said that it was not gratifying, not satisfying, but at least gratifying (which at this point is all I really have a taste for), to see a Mavericks team maintain focus, stay disciplined, follow a game plan to completion, in short, to find a plan that works and stick with it all the way through. Could have happened long before now, should have happened long before now.

Any Mavericks fan from 2006 on can tell you where "staying the course" of a clearly failing plan takes you. What will be interesting to see is if the Mavericks organization, finally realizing the follies of their way and finally getting some legitimate help in the middle (and elsewhere) instead of putting it all on Dirk's back, continues to see the wisdom of the changes they have made and continue to use the new model going forth. You'd think they would, but...Dirk has never been, never wanted to be, and never will be "The Man", that's not his game, that's not his mindset, but Cuban has insisted that (i.e. - built the team like) it was - until this season. Mark Cuban's irrational assessment of Dirk's very real talents may well have cost this team more than one championship. It's definitely cost them the respectability that comes from consistently being able to go deep in the playoffs.

Anyway, the long-overdue Mavs championship feels to me like a formerly close friend paying back a loan 5 years after it was due. Don't really need the money now, have pretty much moved on from those times, but appreciate the thought anyway, glad you've finally got your act together, and good luck going forth.

I came to the personal conclusion several years ago that the '06 team was undeserving of the love they got from me, and that as much of that pain I felt was on me for wasting my sports affection on a bunch of NBA vamps: lots of gloss and glitter masking an abyss of heartlessness. Rooting for that '06, '07 team was like being in an abusive relationship, but, for me, it was always about that team, not the franchise. Still, I can't help it: the Mavericks are the team of my childhood, and you know how it goes when you've been rooting for a team from back when you still possessed a certain amount of innocence. Ultimately, this goes back for me to the days of Aguirre, Blackman, Harper, the Reunion Rowdies, all that... and the fact that Pat Riley had, until last night, always been able to foil this team by backing up his supreme cockiness. Yes, I take ownership of my ridiculous sports grudge. I don't care that Riles still has, what, 4 more rings than Dallas. This time, we overcame and denied him, and his hand-picked team of "superstars," and with a team effort.

So, yeah, there's love here for these little Mavericks.

The team of my childhood was the Houston Astros..got over that one a looong time ago! :g

I hear what you're saying, though, I really do, and thought that I would be able to still find it somewhere. But it's just not there anymore. I guess that as long as Cuban, Dirk, & Terry are there, it won't/can't be.

I'd be interested in hearing what Avery Johnson, the man who was thrown under the bus for insisting on the obvious and refusing to lie about what wasn't there, has to say about all this. but there's no need, really...we all know the truth.

"They're not letting me". The man who told that lie today has a ring, the man who let that man stab the man who told the truth in the back gloats with his trophy, and the round-headed man with the goofy headbands and silly socks still jets when he succeeds, still "don't worry"-ies when he doesn't. Right now, that team and this franchise...I still can't separate them.

Do I hold a grudge? Yeah, I do, for as long as a wrong is never admitted to, a lie still told & not confessed to. It's not so much holding a grudge as it is not letting the lie become the truth, if only in my mind.

Abusive relationship indeed.

"They're not letting me". The man who told that lie today has a ring, the man who let that man stab the man who told the truth in the back gloats with his trophy, and the round-headed man with the goofy headbands and silly socks still jets when he succeeds, still "don't worry"-ies when he doesn't. Right now, that team and this franchise...I still can't separate them.

I'm not sure what this is in reference to. '06 vs. Miami? '07 vs. Golden State? Avery's ouster? Not questioning why you feel the way you do, of course. Just trying to understand the specific context.

I'm not sure what this is in reference to. '06 vs. Miami? '07 vs. Golden State? Avery's ouster? Not questioning why you feel the way you do, of course. Just trying to understand the specific context.

Just the way the whole 06-07 team/program unravelled. Avery had that team playing GREAT, but they didn't like being pushed like he pushed them, Dirk in particular. They wanted to play their "sexy" basketball, not dirve the lane and play hard defense the way Avery was preaching, in spite of the overwhelming and unquestionable success they had when they did. They flat out quit, rather openly, on Avery in 07, and then Dirk goes to Cuban and says whatever he says, mostly, as I understand it, "I can't play for this guy". At which point Cuban, instead of saying, "you'll learn to play for him, he's got a winning plan", goes all Dirkophile and fires Avery rather unceremoniously. And then began the stretch of "fixing" what was never really broke in the first place, other than players' lousy attitudes & unearned sense of entitlement.

A player who backstabs a successful coach is bad enough. A team who quits on a coach with a winning formula is bad enough. An owner who coddles players in the face of failure is bad enough. But to have the whole package was just...more than I could stomach at the time, and I guess I've not yet made my peace with it. They finally got it "fixed" this year, but how much time was wasted? And for how long will it remain fixed?

All I hear from the organization is how "painful" 06 was. Nothing about 07. And all I hear Dirk ever talk about is how he keeps working to improve his game (and all 'I hear Jason Terry talk about is bubblehead blahblahblahYEAH!!!). Implicit in that is that if he can't play the game the way he wants to, he ain't gonna give it his all. His actions have proven this.

Obviously a sore point with me, but the whole thing still reeks to me of betrayal, of sacrificing the gritty truth for comfort, convenience, and ego. Excuse-making at its most odious never being copped to, no forgiveness asked, expected, or really even desired. And now, hey - it's ok. A ring has been gotten, righteousness of cause therefore proven.

Show bizness at its best, sports at its worse.

Just not something I can feel good about. My issues and my problem, though.