Diana Krall - Quiet Nights

Bright Moments

I have it, it's good, just kinda more of the same though. Great recording, nice tunes, great playing by Hamilton and the others, nice arrangements. Overall very pleasant.

Though I do think there's a formulaic approach here that is reaching *premise overload* level.

Tend to agree with FFA here, though I'm a bit more negative--really found this to be a snooze of an album. And I'm by no means a kneejerk anti-Krall listener... I like & have LIVE IN PARIS, THE GIRL IN THE OTHER ROOM, and FROM THIS MOMENT ON. But there were only 1 or 2 cuts that held my interest at all on this latest release. Nothing "wrong" with the album...just nothing that conveyed much spark. To me, anyway.

Nothing wrong with Diana Krall's records that this being 1966 couldn't fix.

Truthfully, I'd like to hear a collaboration between her, her husband, & Daniel Lanois. Give that Ice Queen shit some meaningful & relevant contextualization. Enough of Yesterday's Classics Today, that trio could well make a Tomorrow's Classic Today.

Two unrelated observations: 1) On one of her earlier albums she rescued 'Garden in the Rain', which I thought was a lovely song and sounded vaguely familiar, driving me nuts until I remembered it was a nasty hit over 50 years ago by the Four Aces, who I disliked intensely; and 2) On Elvis Costello's new CD he sounds like a dying cow moaning through its nose.

Back to Diana Krall's 'Quiet Nights' --

Her mannered, world-weary pose of languid, lazy singing is annoying and undeserved.

Ms. Krall hasn't paid enough dues to justify slurring and mumbling the lyrics --

-- despite being married to Elvis Costello.

Given that a "mannered, world-weary pose" is quite common in adolescents, perhaps it would be better to argue that she's too old for it!