Poor albums by good artists

I love the Basie/Bond one!

I kind of have to agree with MG about the Golson on Arkadia, but I like the cheesy one with the commercials music and all (on one title Golson even plays a varitone, I think). It's good fun to my ears!

It may be as much me and Bond as the Basie part. Having never seen any Bond films, it's just a bunch of soundtrack-y music.

Basie and the Beatles works better for me.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I avoided "Basie Meets Bond" for years until I gave it a chance. The way Jaws comes in on "Goldfinger" is magic!

Also love "5 By Monk By 5".

"Buttercorn Lady" gets no respect! I like it. It was "Hold On I'm Coming" (also on Limelight) that sucked. But I'll bet there's somebdy in the wings ready to tell me how much they like that one!

In regards to Monk's Columbia albums, I'd place "Monk's Dream", "Criss Cross" and "Big Band and Quartet In Concert" right alongside any of his records for other labels in terms of greatness.

"Several Shades of Jade" and "Breeze from the East" are LIGHT YEARS apart from each other, and you may need to clean the wax out of your ears if they are the same album to you.

SSOJ features arrangements by THEE GREAT LALO SCHIFRIN and is easily one of the ten best albums CT ever did.

BBTE, on the other hand, is a lightweight pop affair with substandard arrangements, although it does have a nice version of "Black Orchid."

Seconded :tup

I usually think of Cecil Taylor when I see "CT"... :)

I guess his album w/Coltrane and KD (no, not Klaus Doldinger, but his early albums are certainly off topic in this thread!) would qualify... though the flaw probably was in the conception already, and once the guys got together in the studio it was way too late to do anything good...

It was "Hold On I'm Coming" (also on Limelight) that sucked. But I'll bet there's somebdy in the wings ready to tell me how much they like that one!

Being a Grant Green completist, of course I've got this one :) And I do quite like to listen to it sometimes, but I agree it's not typical of Art's normal output.

MG