Piccolo jazz bass - say what?

IanMichaelson

Just wanted to pop in let everyone know about one of my top picks for the Fall. Brian Bromberg’s a longstanding jazz musician and his newest album, IT IS WHAT IT IS, showcases his crazy fast and distinct chops backed by a big band orchestration. I got this 'free track' link from the Synthesis Blog - http://blog.synthesis.net/wp-content/uploa...-Slap-Happy.mp3. In case you're wondering, the 'guitar' is actually him doubling on a piccolo bass tuned up an octave. Check it out!

No - the body of a piccolo bass is a bit larger but less deep than that of a cello. And it is tuned in fourths like a bass, whereas a cello is tuned in fifths.

But basses come in many different sizes and gauges - some even with five strings.

Edited by mikeweil

Brian Bromberg plays a "piccolo" bass guitar which is different than the "acoustic" piccolo upright bass of Ron Carter and Percy Heath.

I recently saw Brian Bromberg at the Clearwater Jazz Fest. He put on a great show. However, I much prefer his acoustic bass playing over his electric playing even though he is an amazing player on the electric bass.

Check out his CD's "Wood" and "Wood II" for more of his "acoustic" side. IIRC, he also played acoustic bass with Stan Getz in one of Stan's last bands.

IMHO, Brain Bromberg is on of those players today that is trying to stradle the line between smooth jazz and traditional jazz. I liked his previous CD (more acoustic bass oriented) than his new one. I'm sure he makes a lot more $$ playing the smooth jazz thing but IMHO, I much prefer him in a more traditional jazz setting.

Hey, it worked for Jackie McLean ... No, wait it didn't work for Jackie McLean

Hey, it worked for Sonny Criss ... No, wait it didn't work for Sonny Criss

Hey, it worked for John Handy ... Once, but not twice.

Pursuing the dollar directly often doesn't work. Pursuing the passion doesn't always work financially but sometimes it does. Sometime the two accidentally coincide.