Atavistic's 'Unheard Music Series'

peterintoronto

Thornton's daughter (I think) has his archives and tapes, and did not want them to be used, but otherwise gave Corbett/UMS carte blanche to do what they wished.

The reissue was taken from three sealed copies as well as a tape of part of the session(s) that McPhee had in his collection.

Edited by clifford_thornton

I noticed somewhere (this isn't on their web site yet) that they're issuing a Sun Ra title called Continuation. Info below. Anyone heard this set?

Sun Ra - Continuation

The 5th Sun Ra Deluxe CD reissue on UMS... A Key, Long-Lost 60s Space Relic!

ATAVISTIC & the UMS issue the 5th SUN RA DELUXE CD REISSUE featuring

PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED RECORDINGS. A spectacular and rarely heard Saturn

Research LP presenting music recorded in the mid 1960s in New York, Continuation

features space classics like "Biosphere Blues," "Earth Primitive Earth," and an

unheralded appearance of "Second Stop is Jupiter," with Marshall Allen featured on

Jupiterian flute and Danny Thompson on Neptunian libflecto. Bold Bauhaus-ish artwork,

liner notes by Scott Nielsen. "(excerpted) Continuation is an interesting late-'60s date with

a nice mixture of styles (ranging from) great slow blues, creepy space voice, very cool

space-exotica, crazed circus fanfare and a cacophonous romp..." ~ Sean Westergaard,

All Music Guide

Well... the artists held the rights to the earlier FMP recordings, as I understand it, so Brotzmann & Schlippenbach probably just told Corbett to go ahead. A lot of more recent reissues were leased/sold to Jazzwerkstatt Germany, so the catalog is kind of flung about.

Now that Jost is back in control (or whatever) of the label, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Well... the artists held the rights to the earlier FMP recordings, as I understand it, so Brotzmann & Schlippenbach probably just told Corbett to go ahead. A lot of more recent reissues were leased/sold to Jazzwerkstatt Germany, so the catalog is kind of flung about.

Now that Jost is back in control (or whatever) of the label, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Why, we already see what happens. Old FMP stuff is being reissued on jazzwerkstatt (http://www.jazzwerkstatt-online.de/ ), and there are new FMP releases on "FMP-Publishing" : http://www.fmp-label.de/ . The "old" FMP (http://free-music-production.de/ ) is now only in charge of TMM festival, it seems.

It seems Jost isn't interested much any longer... a friend of mine tried to get him to talk some by sending emails, but he seems to escape from questions. I guess this generation of producers might just well go and call it a day once their time here comes to an end, without actively trying to keep their legacy alive... sort of like their legacy will go when they go, too... that's sad, but then they can do as they please, of course.

I'll have to get some of those Jazzwerkstatt reissues, some good ones there!

Is it possible to see the jazzwerkstatt offerings in English? If these catalogs can't be monetized, it is hard to find fault with decisions to avoid losses on new reissue efforts. But when that becomes the case I don't understand these properties not reverting to the artists, many of whom can find a way to reissue material on a smaller scale. The FMP/SAJ catalogs are so rich, further long-term neglect should be deemed a cultural crime.

I noticed somewhere (this isn't on their web site yet) that they're issuing a Sun Ra title called Continuation. Info below. Anyone heard this set?

Sun Ra - Continuation

The 5th Sun Ra Deluxe CD reissue on UMS... A Key, Long-Lost 60s Space Relic!

ATAVISTIC & the UMS issue the 5th SUN RA DELUXE CD REISSUE featuring

PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED RECORDINGS. A spectacular and rarely heard Saturn

Research LP presenting music recorded in the mid 1960s in New York, Continuation

features space classics like "Biosphere Blues," "Earth Primitive Earth," and an

unheralded appearance of "Second Stop is Jupiter," with Marshall Allen featured on

Jupiterian flute and Danny Thompson on Neptunian libflecto. Bold Bauhaus-ish artwork,

liner notes by Scott Nielsen. "(excerpted) Continuation is an interesting late-'60s date with

a nice mixture of styles (ranging from) great slow blues, creepy space voice, very cool

space-exotica, crazed circus fanfare and a cacophonous romp..." ~ Sean Westergaard,

All Music Guide

I have ordered it, but have not received it yet. Working in the Far East now, hope it is there in the mail when I get back home in a week.

It's worth mentioning that concurrent with Sun Ra - Continuation is a release of Bennink and Hazevoet's Calling Down the Flevo Spirit. About three years ago I learned from a reliable source I'll not bother to name that this would be one of the next UMS releases, and I'm glad to see it's finally going to become a reality. This was right around the time that the series went alarmingly from around 12 releases a year to 2 or 3, and almost all Sun Ra and Brotzmann. I'm not complaining about these Sun Ra and Brotzmann reissues per se; my point is that I started to worry even more that the series was having such a hard time that they were having to stick to the better selling artists (as opposed to, say, Starship Beer, I'd imagine).

I wish there were enough support for them to up the flow again, but in any case it will be interesting to see what UMS brings us next year -- another volume of the Steve Lacy Cassette Archive perhaps?