2009-2010 Hot Stove Thread

BFrank

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'll fire up a fatty in honor of Lincecum's second Cy. He's kind of a local boy, having starred at the U Dub. I came within an eyelash of writing a letter to Brian Cashman insisting that the Yanks draft this guy. He always had the mark of a special pitcher. Man, would he have looked good in pinstripes.

Up over and out,

I think I'll fire up a fatty in honor of Lincecum's second Cy. He's kind of a local boy, having starred at the U Dub. I came within an eyelash of writing a letter to Brian Cashman insisting that the Yanks draft this guy. He always had the mark of a special pitcher. Man, would he have looked good in pinstripes.

Up over and out,

Mariners took Brad Morrow over Lincecum, said TL's arm action would be trouble after a couple of years. Imagine, Lincecum & Hernandez in the same rotation....

In Seattle, Junior walks on water. He is almost single handedly responsible for the very existence of Safeco Field. I think the M's could keep him on their active roster until he was eligible for Medicare and the fans up there would be fine with it.

Up over and out.

We Giants fans once thought that way about Barry Bonds, too.....but we got over it.

Griffey never juiced and hence never had to lie about it. Bonds teammates didn't like him very much, Griffey has always been a positive influence in the clubhouse.

If Griffey had juiced he would have had better numbers than Bonds...plus Griffey was always a better fielder than Bonds, even in his younger days in Pittsburg.

Mariners took Brad Morrow over Lincecum, said TL's arm action would be trouble after a couple of years. Imagine, Lincecum & Hernandez in the same rotation....

One more reason to villify Bill Bavasi, one of the worst GM's in recent memory.

Up over and out.

Stop! You guys are killin' me.

I hear Jack Cust to the Mariners...

Mariners took Brad Morrow over Lincecum

It hurts, but Brandon Morrow was a great prospect too at the time, but probably now a "suspect." I think the M's mishandled him horribly (i.e., starter? reliever? starter? reliever? starter? Majors? Minors?). Although out of college he had a million dollar arm, he never learned how to pitch. Until he can get an off-speed pitch over the plate consistently when he is down in the count, MLB hitters will kill him. His control isn't too good, either. I saw him throw some good innings in AAA this year as a starter, but he was hitting 92-93 tops on the radar, not 95+. (I was sitting behind scouts with radar guns.) I'm afraid that the organization has that kid all screwed up in the head. At this point in his career, he reminds me of Jose Paniagua. Not good.

I think if the M's are going to turn it around, they first need a couple of impact bats at the MLB level (Griffey isn't one--ouch), and they need to have a complete overhaul of their scouting and player development philosophy. They need to develop some of their good draft picks into impact players at the MLB level at some point. Felix is awesome, but you need a few others, more than every ten years. I'm curious to see how they will screw up Ackley. Maybe they can turn him into a catcher, after they are finished with trying to convert him into a second baseman.

Wow, the baseball writers voted for the right guys for both league's Cy & MVP awards. I don't think this has ever happened before. It took about 25 years but finally such things as looking at a pitcher's win total without considering run support may finally be recognized as silly by enough of the voters. Hell, maybe the baseball writers should turn their attention to the Grammies. :lol:

Halladay to Boston would be a good pick up, but Boston seems to have a lot of "issues" for their team, after all, they were not playing scintillating baseball toward the end of the season. Plus, they're getting old, and it doesn't look like Bay will be coming back, so things are not looking all that good in Boston right now (with all due respect to Dangerous Dan ;) ).

Just as long as he doesn't end up w/ either NY team I'll be happy.

J.H., any rumblings about Philadelphia in the market? Or what they're looking at in general for their pitching rotation next year?

No rumors. They did just sign Juan Castro as a back up middle infielder. They need a 3rd baseman since they declined to pick up the option on Feliz. As far as the PR goes it's looking like Lee, Hamels, Happ, ?, Moyer. Kyle Drabek will compete for a starting spot. I haven't heard anything about Pedro returning. I would love to see them get Halladay but being the Phillies they won't.

A local writer pointed out that out of the 171 FAs this year only 10 are under the age of 30! Additionally there are 60 FAs over 35 and 11 over 40.

Meanwhile, the Giants are coming right out and saying they won't be going after Matt Holliday or Jason Bay. Too expensive.

Instead, Brian Sabean says, there are plenty of good "second tier" prospects out there. Perfect. Isn't this what killed the Giants the last two seasons? The team needs a hitter and all the front office wants to do is mine the bargain bin.

Well....so much for next year.

Grrrrr :angry:

The Giants are in the same boat as the Mariners: They both need a strong power bat in the line up if they want to go anywhere. Halladay would be a perfect fit with the Giants, after the black hole that was left field last year. Bay would be okay, but he really tailed off toward the end of last year. You can't keep living off Panda and Lincecum forever.

The Giants are in the same boat as the Mariners: They both need a strong power bat in the line up if they want to go anywhere. Halladay would be a perfect fit with the Giants, after the black hole that was left field last year. Bay would be okay, but he really tailed off toward the end of last year. You can't keep living off Panda and Lincecum forever.

I mean Holliday, not Halladay. Stupid names are too close in spelling for me.

The Mariners should scoop this muthafucka up:

miguel-cabrera.jpg

I don't care how much he drinks...Babe Ruth drank a lot too.

Cabrara would be a great pick up for the Mariners. With the dumping of some high salaries this off season (Beltre & Bedard, plus others), the Mariners can afford him.