2009-2010 Hot Stove Thread

BFrank

Hey Good Speak- Richmond, VA now has the AA team for your Giants- The Richmond Flying Squirrels. Unusual name- but I'm glad baseball is back in Richmond....and I'd rather watch AA than AAA (which we had) because you see more true prospects.

Anyone I should be watching on their way to the Bigs?

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I hate to see this, it looks like the Roy Halladay sweepstakes may become a contest between, guess who, the Yankees and the Red Sox. The only other teams that could conceivably be in he mix would be the Angels and the Phillies, but Halliday wants to go to a team that trains in Florida, so that takes care of the Angels. The Phillies might have the financial ability to sign Halliday, but they need to worry about Cliff Lee first. Toronto has already had preliminary talks with New York and the four guys they mentioned were Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes, Austin Jackson and Jesus Montero, the latter two the brightest lights in the Yankee farm system. The Jays may also insist that any team trading for Halladay also take Vernon Wells all-time bad contract off their hands. That's a lot of money even for the Yankees although, according to reports, they made so much money last year that they're not willing to talk about it. Those in the know expect something to happen soon if its going to happen at all.

Phils sign Polanco for 3rd base at 3 years, $18.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phillie...ater_today.html

I like it. I would love it if Polanco was 3 years younger. Would have loved Chone Figgins but the Phillies were not going to pay the kind of money he wants.

Now that arbitration deadline has passed the hot stove is going to heat up very quickly.....

I like it, too. Now some pitching!!!

Something else to consider is that Beltre and Figgins were offered arbitration by their teams which means if we had signed either of them we would have forfeited a first round draft pick. Polanco, even though he was a Type A free agent was not offered arbitration by Detroit so the Phillies do not have to surrender a draft pick. Sweet!

Sweet is right!! I just hope he can really play third. I know he's really a second baseman, but perhaps his bat will more than make up for the loss in fielding ability.

Toronto has already had preliminary talks with New York and the four guys they mentioned were Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes, Austin Jackson and Jesus Montero, the latter two the brightest lights in the Yankee farm system.

Dave--are you saying Toronto wants all four players?

No, I should have been clearer on that. When the Yanks were in the running for Johann Santana, one of the things that killed the deal was the Yankees unwillingness to include Chamberlain and/or Hughes in the discussions. I wonder now if that's still the case. I've said this before, but I really think the Yankees have permanently screwed up Joba by yo yo-ing him back and forth when his best spot was as a set up guy and then as the closer when Rivera finally hangs up his spikes. Hughes was lights out during the last half of the regular season, but lost his touch completely in the playoffs and the Series. Does this mean both could go for Roy? Don't know. What I do know is that I would not want either Montero or Jackson on the block. Also, if you do land Halladay, you sure don't need Hughes or Chamberlain as a starter.

Here's a league-wide hot-stove round-up that includes some Figgins discussion links, via the Pinstripe Alley blog.

Dave, I'm blowing through BIRTH OF A DYNASTY--started it yesterday and will be done by tonight. Excellent book...and, among other things, I learned that in early '96 the Yankees came very close to trading Mariano Rivera to Seattle for Felix Fermin and demoting Derek Jeter to Columbus for the season. Anyway, it's a great overview of the '96 team (and what went on in the several years prior).

Edited by ghost of miles

Ahh Felix Fermin. Tribe traded Fermin, Reggie Jefferson and cash to the Mariners for this light hitting shortstop named Omar Vizquel. Years later Tribe traded ESPN commentator Eduardo Perez to the Mariners for this light hitting shortstop named Asdrubal Cabrera. And Ben Broussard for Shin-Soo Choo. Jury still out on Franklin Gutierrez for light hitting infielder Luis Valbuena (and reliever Joe Smith).

M's fans rejoice. ESPN says Chone Figgins and Seattle are getting close to a deal. That certainly will be an upgrade in many different ways.

The Angels will miss Figgy during the regular season, and if he ever matches that regular season output in the postseason he'll really pay dividends for the Mariners.

M's fans rejoice. ESPN says Chone Figgins and Seattle are getting close to a deal. That certainly will be an upgrade in many different ways.

The Angels will miss Figgy during the regular season, and if he ever matches that regular season output in the postseason he'll really pay dividends for the Mariners.

I'm pretty much *yawn* about this signing. The Mariners way overspent on Figgins because they again went after someone who had a big pre-free agent year (see Adrian Beltre) but whose stats aren't that great when you take away that year. What the mariners need is a power bat in the line up, not some light hitting third baseman, they already had that. So *YAWN*

Edited by Matthew

I like the BoSox pickup of Mario Scutaro. He is a very tough out.

Speaking as a Yankee fan, I HATE it- that guy is a certified Yankee killer. Good pick up for the Bosox.

I just hope he can stay healthy. I really thought they might be seriously considering moving thigh-high to SS and signing Orlando Hudson. Glad they didn't, but I also don't know that Scutaro is the answer to the WS recipe. But it's a helluva lot closer than Julio Friggin' Lugo.

Figgins in the bank, now it's time for the M's to pick up Bay, Lackey and a back-up catcher and the Mariners will be ready for the 2010 season. :)

You don't want too too much do you :)

Actually, this is reasonably doable. The M's had $50 million come off their payroll this year, so they have money to spend. Hovering over all this, though, is the specter of King Felix who's looking for nine figure deal. Given his age and potential, Seattle has to figure out a way to make that happen.

Man, the Tigers are a stoopid organization. Kept Mags last year, allowed him to get enough A.B's to get....well, he "earned" 18 mil last year for 50 RBI's, I guess he will get that much this upcoming year. So, now they have to cut costs, and traded a 28 year old Center fielder and a flame throwing 26 year old Starter for some young guys that have never proven themselves. Congrats!

And thanks again for Trading the Braves Jair Jurrjens for crap.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/12/gran...-to-dbacks.html

Edited by BERIGAN

Man, the Tigers are a stoopid organization. Kept Mags last year, allowed him to get enough A.B's to get....well, he "earned" 18 mil last year for 50 RBI's, I guess he will get that much this upcoming year. So, now they have to cut costs, and traded a 28 year old Center fielder and a flame throwing 26 year old Starter for some young guys that have never proven themselves. Congrats!

The Yanks got Granderson?? Oh shit.

The Yanks got Granderson?? Oh shit.

It's official.

Brad,

Where did you hear this was a done? I've rounded up all the usual suspects and checked the Freep and the Detroit News but all anyone is saying is that the three teams involved are getting close to a deal. I don't like the Yankees giving up their #1 prospect or Phil Coke, but it's pretty clear what Granderson can do at the major league level, and he's only 28, so that's tempering my concern.

Brad,

Where did you hear this was a done? I've rounded up all the usual suspects and checked the Freep and the Detroit News but all anyone is saying is that the three teams involved are getting close to a deal. I don't like the Yankees giving up their #1 prospect or Phil Coke, but it's pretty clear what Granderson can do at the major league level, and he's only 28, so that's tempering my concern.

I'm not enthused about this deal at all. I thought Coke was it, and Jackson never got a chance to show what he can do on the major league level. Grandrson is not very impressive as a player:

Year Age Tm Lg G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB Pos Awards

2009 28 DET AL 160 710 631 91 157 23 8 30 71 20 6 72 141 .249 .327 .453 .780 100 286 1 2 3 2 4 *8 AS

For a guy with some pop his slugging % is not all that good, his OBP is lousy. I guess we can hope he gets better...

No surprise here--Yanks sign Pettitte for another year.

Not sure what will happen w/Damon--supposedly Yanks are offering $18 million for two years and Boras wants another 4-yr, $52 million deal (absolutely no way they'll get that or even anything close to it). I'd love to see him come back, but not unless the final deal's pretty close to where the Yanks stand right now.

No surprise here--Yanks sign Pettitte for another year.

Not sure what will happen w/Damon--supposedly Yanks are offering $18 million for two years and Boras wants another 4-yr, $52 million deal (absolutely no way they'll get that or even anything close to it). I'd love to see him come back, but not unless the final deal's pretty close to where the Yanks stand right now.

I agree with you on Damon, I don't see anyone paying that high of a price for someone on the downside of his career -- after all, how many times can he steal second and third? It's interesting, but a lot of the "experts" don't seem to be too sold on Grandrson, they seem to feel that last year was a major downturn in his playing. Still, he's a lefty batter, and all he has to do is lift a flyball to right field, and viola! it's a homer! I think I read somewhere that the Yankees have ten players over the age of thirty-three on the roster. I find that hopeful grounds for a collaspe next year. :w