A Gift Guide to Box Sets

Ron S

A far-ranging survey of new box sets in a wide variety of genres:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/magazine/20...boxed_sets.html

He REALLY likes the Crosby Mosaic:

Bing Crosby The Bing Crosby CBS Radio Recordings, 1954-1956 (Mosaic ****) Has there ever been a more relaxed singer than Bing Crosby? Listening to this jazzy 160-song set, which features Der Bingle effortlessly swinging through the Great American Songbook with energetic and inventive keyboard whiz Buddy Cole and his trio, leads one to conclude that the answer is no. The great majority of these sides have never been released, and the sound quality and quality of Crosby's performances, from "The Nearness of You" to "Try a Little Tenderness," are impressively high throughout. Outstanding. (7 CDs, $119.)

Ok, now I have to apologize for thinking the Miles Davis set was the most ridiculous thing I had ever seen.

Yo-Yo Ma 30 Years Outside the Box (Sony Classical ***1/2) No questions about quality here: Cellist Ma thoroughly deserves his superstar status and few have recorded so much great music with such fine collaborators. However, those most likely to appreciate Ma's complete recordings in this highly attractive box will already have many of them. And will any single consumer embrace Ma's excursions into film soundtracks and ethnic music (that also fill the two bonus discs)? Also, no Ma discography is truly complete without his very first commercial recording - Finzi's splendid Cello Concerto for Lyrita, which is missing here. (90 CDs, $789.98.)

Really?!? 90CDs, nearly $800, in this economy? It appears to come in 3 shoeboxes, instead of the normal 1. The price is moving much closer to $600 (or $500 used). But still...

However, I would disagree with the reviewer. I can't imagine that many people would have 90 CDs by Yo-Yo Ma just laying around. 20 or 30, perhaps.

I think the Duncan company is missing a bet. They could release an upscale edition of their signature product called the Yo Yo Yo Yo. It could have Mr. Ma's image on both sides of the contraption or, if they really wanted to push the envelope, his face on one side and the back of his head on the other. Another million dollar idea courtesy of Lonesome Dave. No applause is necessary.