Absurd Sonny Rollins RCA-Victor deal

colinmce

I'm a bit confused about Sangrey's posts above...I have the 90s 6 CD box (black, similar design to the metal spine Miles boxes, but no metal spine).

Disc 3 there is "Our Man in Jazz" (#1-3) and the three tracks from "3 for Jazz" (#4-6).

"Don't Stop the Carnival" is on disc 1 (#7, #1-5 are "The Bridge", with #6 the sessions for "Our Man in Jazz" begin).

"Brown Skin Girl" is on disc 2 (#4), and there's no alternate of "Yesterdays" listed. In fact, the only "Yesterdays" there is is from the "Sonny Meets Hawk" album (which is #1-6 on disc 4).

My references to track #s were relative to this new set, as listed on amazon.

Chewy, Sonny recorded for Blue Note, Riverside and Contemporary in the years immediately prior to signing with RCA.

What was big news was the contract - $60,000 for five albums, as I recall. RCA had hired George Avakian to give its jazz program a kick start, so Avakian signed Sonny, Paul Desmond, Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis and Joe Morello.

Chuck would know much more about this than I do.

Sonny didn't "leave" another label to "come to" RCA. His last studio date was for Contemporary, in October 1958. The sessions for The Bridge were done in Jan/Feb 1962. In between, during the hiatus, there was no contract. There was, iirc, a bidding war of sorts to sign him when he came back to public performance.

I'm a bit confused about Sangrey's posts above...I have the 90s 6 CD box (black, similar design to the metal spine Miles boxes, but no metal spine).

Disc 3 there is "Our Man in Jazz" (#1-3) and the three tracks from "3 for Jazz" (#4-6).

"Don't Stop the Carnival" is on disc 1 (#7, #1-5 are "The Bridge", with #6 the sessions for "Our Man in Jazz" begin).

"Brown Skin Girl" is on disc 2 (#4), and there's no alternate of "Yesterdays" listed. In fact, the only "Yesterdays" there is is from the "Sonny Meets Hawk" album (which is #1-6 on disc 4).

My references to track #s were relative to this new set, as listed on amazon.

Thanks for clearing this (also to mjzee). I thought you were referring to a different edition of the complete RCA box!