What's your burger?

IMO

Extra lean ground beef for burgers is no good

You gotta use around 75-80% for good tasting burgers

In terms of flavor, you are absolutely right. I thought I understood that pretty well, but it became even more clear when my wife recently started following Bobby Flay's advice (don't go too lean, and don't add any frigging bread crumbs).

In terms of health, well... oh, screw health. ^_^

Never cared much for burgers...

Fish and chips.

How DARE you! I'm sorry- this means WAR. :lol:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like burger anymore, I used to go to a McDonald near the studios where I worked, it was open 24h, usually at 3 or 5 AM, really weird stuff. I did lots of stupid and dangerous things in my youth.

I tend to think at burger like a compressed musical file, I mean why eat a low-rez steak when one can have the real thing?

Edited by porcy62

Never cared much for burgers, but would walk miles (and did and still does) to get those...

3SECCO.JPG

from the Secco bakery in the 7th Arrondissement of Paris :) . Awesome place which was formerly the Boulangerie Poujauran. Jean-Luc Poujauran caters nowadays only to many of the best Parisian restaurants!

The 7th is too far off my beaten track for me to sample these, but if I'm in the neighborhood some day I'll check it out!

Burger-wise, you can get relatively discreet burgers from many Parisian bistros, not just fast-food joints, that aren't necessarily bad. However, you can't pick your toppings, and usually get lettuce, tomato, perhaps raw onion, and some mayo-based house sauce of pink or orange hue. One is better off constructing one's own at home. Personally, I make burgers maybe three or four times a year.

Fish and chips.

Fish and chips is such a great meal. Almost enough to earn forgiveness for the rest of England's culinary contributions... ;)

I have a feeling the chips part is originally from Belgium! So we can't even claim that!

I do like a burger every now and then, just as long as they don't butter the roll. And that it's cooked right through!

I don't like burger anymore, I used to go to a McDonald...

I think it would be fair to say that referring to McDonald's (or any other fast food burger) here is going quite a bit off-topic. ^_^

Of course steaks are great too, but a different experience (apples 'n oranges, as they say).

I'm always up for a good burger. Locally, there's a joint called The Peanut Barrel that makes an absolutely killer olive burger. One of the best burgers I've had recently though was from a relatively new organic breakfast joint called Sawyer's Gourmet Pancake House. The burger had blue cheese in the middle of the patty, bacon, and a red onion tapanade along with a special sauce. Man... that is an awesome burger. So delicious. I had them put some jalapenos on it one time and that just put it totally over the top.

At home I like to make mine with buffalo or lean ground beef, cooked in a pan with pepper, salt, and garlic and onion powder. Lettuce, stone ground mustard, ketchup, relish, cheese, and possibly bacon (if I have it). Yum.

Fish and chips.

My Missus would agree with you all the way.

Christmas dinner is awful for her, because she really wants fish & chips.

I eat what's put in front of me if it's a burger, but I never go near enough to a fast food establishment to give anyone from there a chance to put their wares in my face. My favourite burgers are the ones out on the street in Cardiff on Saturdays.

MG

• 1 month later...

I just tried for the first the new Five Guys burger place that recently opened nearby. Very tasty burgers, although a little pricey. Nice fresh pickles,lettuce, tomato and grilled onions.

I guess Five Guys is a chain, I've been seeing them all over.

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONON

Sorry, 5 Guys is shit. If you're in the DC area (the home base of 5 Guys) it's Ray's Hell Burger, where you can get marrow as a topping, among other things (just gimme bleu cheese).

I just tried for the first the new Five Guys burger place that recently opened nearby. Very tasty burgers, although a little pricey. Nice fresh pickles,lettuce, tomato and grilled onions.

I guess Five Guys is a chain, I've been seeing them all over.

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONON

Sorry, 5 Guys is shit. If you're in the DC area (the home base of 5 Guys) it's Ray's Hell Burger, where you can get marrow as a topping, among other things (just gimme bleu cheese).

Well, my burger was well cooked, the meat was good quality and the extras were fresh, nothing close to shit. Sounds like the chain may be having a problem with consistency.

Ray's does sound good though!

Sorry, 5 Guys is shit. If you're in the DC area (the home base of 5 Guys) it's Ray's Hell Burger, where you can get marrow as a topping, among other things

Actually , that's roasted marrow with persillade ! They also offer Epoisse de Bourgogne . While D.C. may have enough Frasier Crane-type epicures who know what that is (and are flush enough to drop 20 bucks at a burger joint), there's no way that'll play in Peoria . Five Guys is national because their menu is much more reflective of actual , as opposed to aspirational , American tastes .

I think I mentioned this before here...anyone who lived in St. Louis, Remember O'Connell's??? Still around I am happy to see. But, it seemed best in the early 80's the hamburgers were so big (10 oz) and tasted like the cow had been killed out back. Each time we have been back, it just wasn't quite as good. It's been a decade though, so for all I know, it's great again.

Ever get the hamburger patties at the Kroger butcher??? So much better than anyone else's hamburger. Don't know why. It's no more expensive. It does have a fair bit of fat, which sadly you need for a great hamburger.

Had a burger at Longhorns Friday, and that it was really good. Steak N' Shake is the best fast food burger, IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

Never cared much for burgers, but would walk miles (and did and still does) to get those...

3SECCO.JPG

from the Secco bakery in the 7th Arrondissement of Paris :) . Awesome place which was formerly the Boulangerie Poujauran. Jean-Luc Poujauran caters nowadays only to many of the best Parisian restaurants!

Awww, Brownie, that looks so good. Must drop by there next time I'm in Paris. A visit is long overdue.

When you are in the U.K., check out the burger and drink deal at the Wetherspoon's bars - about GBP 4.95. And the Revolution chain does a great burger for about GBP 4.00 - and a free second one after 3:00 pm.