Verve/Hip-O Select to release EmArcy Clifford Brown sets

J.A.W.

I think these sets are way over-priced.

I have the Peterson and Fitzgerald one, but although the Fitzgerald is excellent, it is/was too expensive. The production value is OK and the whole oversized thing looks quite good, but upon closer inspection, it is quite useless. The binding isn't really that great (you have to handle it quite carefully) and the way the CDs are inserted (identical for the Peterson and Fitzgerald sets) is just dumb. I removed them straight away and put them into jewel cases. The sound is OK on these releases but nothing to write home about.

In light of those statements, I'm going to stay away from these sets in the future, especially with this one because I have the old Brownie box. I might change my mind when they put out new stuff (I bought the Peterson because I was missing some of the stuff on there and the Holliday because I had never picked up those sides), like they did with a lot on the Fitzgerald box.

On top of that, after literally decades of buying these kinds of box sets and special editions, I'm getting a bit tired of these over-sized things, no matter how cool they might look. They don't really fit onto my shelves and would have to be kept separately somewhere or further away from where they should actually be in my collection, so for the past years, I've taken all of the CDs out of those specialty boxes (also the Mosaics), put them in jewel cases, printed covers and put them on the shelf. 98% of the boxes were packed away into the cellar and the booklets reside in a separate cupboard in my living room (if they were removable, which often they weren't).

I have quite a lot of music and although I do keep some boxes around, I was afraid my living room was going to look like a junk yard, with boxes piled here and boxes piled there, stacked on top of or next to shelves and hidden away in all the nooks and crannies that were left.

You'll be able to get it for about $55 from DeepDiscount or Amazon Marketplace if that helps.

It would help if I could get it for $40 or less. I mean, damn, I already have all of this music in other forms, so unless it's a bargain or it's got something extra, I think I'll give it a pass.

(Still, there's something I love about that label name: "Hip-O." Ain't that just a spiffy name?)

Edited by BruceH

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...