Happy birthday Wynton

White Lightning

Wynton Kelly - The perfect pianist - as a soloist , especially with Mr. PC and Jimmy Cobb; as a leader of Miles' Rhythm, section for many years; as the pianist of Dizzy's big band; as an accompanist to Dinah Washington.

His recordings as a sideman are numerous. For me, his participation in a recording is a stamp of quality. I can't recall any off date by mr. kelly.

So, happy birthday, Wynton Kelly!

What are your favorite recoedings with mr. kelly?

Ah...........my favorite Wynton. One of my top 3 or 4 pianists of all time.

I really like his leader dates like Someday My Prince Will Come, Kelly at Midnight, Piano Interpretations and Full View, but some of my favorite Wynton is his sideman appearances. Mobley's Roll Call, Miles' Someday My Prince Will Come(his intro on the title tune is one of my favorites moments in jazz) and Rollins' Newk's Time and Volume One, to name a few.

He's soulful, he swings, and he comps beautifully behind soloists. I wish he could've stuck around a little longer.

Happy Birthday Wynton Kelly, and thank you!

Edit: I can't leave out the Blackhawk recordings! And Smokin' at the Half Note! It's all good........

Edited by Free For All

so we finally know who's the real... :g

I love him! His playing seems to be so chock-full of joy!

Favorites:

- the dates of the Kelly trio with Wes (complete on that Wes twofer "Impressions: the Verve Jazz sides" or similar)

- the Miles in europe live recordings from when Stitt replaced Trane. I love Miles on that, and I think the departure of Trane and the new, much more mellow sound of Stitt led not only to let Miles play harder, take over the role of the "challenger", but also led to a new axis between Miles and Kelly.

- then of course the Miles/Mobley/Kelly/Chambers/Cobb trio - all they recorded. I love it all! The Blackhawk stuff would maybe be on top of the list, but I always did love the Carnegie concert, and Someday My Prince Will Come is a great album, too!

(And don't forget Kelly's got a short spot on Kind of Blue, too!)

- of his leader stuff, I have virtually nothing, but Kelly Blue is a real good one, in my opinion. Maybe one of my favorite hard bop discs, though Golson adds a touch which is more subtle than "your usual hardbop".

ubu

Thanks for the link (I knew it, but has been a long time since I been there).

This brings up some other favorites:

- the J.J. date with Mingus, Klook & Sabu

- his work in Dizzy's 1957 big band

- Cannonball takes charge

- Coltrane Jazz

- Sonny Red's Out of the Blue

- Gonsalves, Gettin' Together

- the two CDs with Joe Henderson

Hell, the man made lots of records!

I'm glad I have not yet got hold of his VeeJay Mosaic - a way of making sure you'll always have some more to get... (and save some pennies, at least temporarily ;) )

ubu

Oh yeah, Wynton Kelly ... I realize a lot of generalizations go into this, but it seems like if you have a piano player and, say, a sax player, and both are of roughly the same skill level, it's the guy with the horn who gets the better reputation, etc. My theory is that it's because piano players get more lumped in with the rhythm section.

Anyway, I think Kelly's definitely suffered from this kind of thing, at least among those outside of the "jazz elite." I loved Kelly at Midnight!

• 3 years later...

One of mine is a live date he did in S.F with other (then members) of Miles group and a front line of Johnny Griffin and Wes Montgomery. Full House I believe it was called.

that was also the first record that came to my mind when i read the first post in this thread! :tup (and it's called Full House) (edit to add: it was not Miles Davis group anymore at that time, IIRC, Griffin was the guest of Wes Montgomery backed by the Wynton Kelly trio (or was it the Kelly-Montgomery group... :) not sure at the moment ))

Edited by Niko