Has Anyone Been "Warned" Yet?

Soulstation1

Guest DEEP (GET ME OUT OF MY SKULL)

Posting a comment to stimulate spirited exchange is not the same thing as posting a personal insult .....

Patricia,

I feel that the insult was no different than personal attacks on Gays, Negroes, Woman, Heterosexuals....etc.

Alcoholics are to be pitied (and helped if at all possible).

I was offended by the personal attack. I guess we'll just have to leave it at that as it appears no action is forthcoming.

Thank you for listening.

DEEP

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posting a comment to stimulate spirited exchange is not the same thing as posting a personal insult .....

Patricia,

I feel that the insult was no different than personal attacks on Gays, Negroes, Woman, Heterosexuals....etc.

I was offended by the personal attack. I guess we'll just have to leave it at that as it appears no action is forthcoming.

Thank you for listening.

DEEP

I agree that personal attacks are personal attacks and that there is no distinction between mocking someone for their ethnicity, sex, faith or personal habits.

Addictions are personal habits and it is not possible, IMO, to change that in another person, especially by mocking them. As for pitying them, that's not constructive either. Like all addictions, alcoholism is one that is difficult for those closest to the alcoholic to understand, but pitying them is not on the menu. Nobody wants pity. If change is to come, it must come from them. If the addict doesn't want to change, nothing in the world will make any difference.

Just because a closet door is open doesn't mean you want everybody looking in.

Jeez, I got shit in my closet that even God has forgotten is in there, so I sure as hell don't want Bob and Betty poking around in there when they're visiting from Des Moines. Drives my wife NUTS, but it's my closet damn it, and if I want people looking into it and finding a Maynard Cameo 45 up on the shelf or a 10-year old pair of dirty drawers stuffed up under an old pair of shoes with mud still on them from 1982, I'll invite them to do so. Otherwise, they just need to stay in the den and watch Emeril while I do something else, like take a nice long dump. Not everybody needs to know everything all the time.

Edited by JSngry

I wouldn't say that alcoholics are just like gays, negroes, women, and heterosexuals in that they should be "pitied (and helped if at all possible)". After all, we weren't born with a drink in our hands. But that doesn't give anyone the right to insult someone with a drug or alcohol dependancy.

Sincerely, Joey G(string)

edit: patricia's post said it better. :mellow:

Edited by Joe G

FOR CHRISSAKES CUT IT OUT!!

THIS THREAD IS MAKIN' ME MORE DRY THAN A POPCORN FART!!

I NEED SUPPORT, NOT ENCOURAGEMENT RE MY ALCOHOL ABUSE!!

DEEP

To further elaborate on what Chris said about Danny's accomplishments, I've picked up Blues for Philly Joe and the Glass Enclosure and they are excellent, top notch swinging music. Really incredible music.

Here's the AMG review of Blues for Philly Joe:

Drummer Danny D'Imperio's fourth album as a leader is similar to his first three: high-quality hard bop with the emphasis on lesser-known tunes. Using a talented septet (with trumpeter Greg Gisbert, altoist Gary Pribek, tenor saxophonist Ralph Lalama, the great bop pianist Hod O'Brien, guitarist Steve Brown, and bassist Dave Shapiro), D'Imperio revives such songs as Duke Pearson's "Tribute to Brownie," Curtis Fuller's "Time Off," and Benny Harris' "Reets and I." Hard bop fans will definitely want all of D'Imperio's well-conceived recordings, including this one.

The Glass Enclosure Review:

In his series of releases for V.S.O.P., drummer Danny D'Imperio has successfully kept hard bop not only alive, but creative and fresh. This CD has one of his finest recordings. The arrangements are quite inventive; the 11 rarely recorded songs are superior (including Quincy Jones' "Jessica's Day," Freddie Redd's "Thespian" and Lee Morgan's "Need I"), and the musicians (in settings up to a ten-piece) sound quite inspired. Their rendition of Bud Powell's complex "Glass Enclosure" is quite definitive. Among the star soloists are trumpeter Greg Gisbert, altoist Gary Pribek, Ralph Lalama on tenor and pianist Hod O'Brien. A high-quality and frequently exciting CD that rewards repeated listenings.

Alcoholism may be the cause of abusive behavior, but it does not excuse it. The calculated, provocative posts that sparked this ongoing exchange may have been the work of an alcoholic, but they are far too coherent to have been posted while under the influence; a person so affected by alcohol consumption as to not be responsible for his utterances is also too affected to operate a computer (not to mention insert code) flawlessly. So let's not blame booze for the personal insults.

CHRISTIERN (PAL 'O MINE.....DRINKING BUDDY O' MINE),

Where you've gone off the beam is ....during every recording session cited in this biography I was under the influence of alcohol.

Just because one functions while under the influence does not mean his motor skills are impaired.

In short: When motor skills are in gear while thought processes are convoluted they can make for a misundertood personality.

Was it Condon or Pee Wee when asked, "How do you play when you're so drunk?"

to which the reply was, "I PRACTICE WHEN I'M DRUNK!!"

How much booze did you witness me consume at the Big Band Bloviation Sessions?

Were my motor skills unaffected? What say ye there?

C'mon Chris, you know fucking well I'm not HOMOPHOBIC.

Are we still on for the "Murder Bar" next July?? I hope so.

DEEP

Edited by DEEP (GET ME OUT OF MY SKULL)

Apparently CHRITIERN has chosen to not stand by his original post on this subject but unfortunately for him it has been preserved for posterity and the logical extension of this thread.

Below is CHRISTIERN'S deleted post:

Since I have been one of the targets of this series of trollish, attention-seeking posts, I have been laying low for the sake of my fellow Organissimo members. However, allow me to make one observation:

Alcoholism may be the cause of abusive behavior, but it does not excuse it. The calculated, provocative posts that sparked this ongoing exchange may have been the work of an alcoholic, but they are far too coherent to have been posted while under the influence; a person so affected by alcohol consumption as to not be responsible for his utterances is also too affected to operate a computer (not to mention insert code) flawlessly. So let's not blame booze for the personal insults.

Trolling is childish behavior brought on by a need to be the center of attention. It is a selfish act. the pesky fly that eventually renders the soup unpalatable.

In this case, it is also a self-destructive, unnecessary act, because there is far more attention to be garnered by this troll if he becomes a contributing member of our posting community. Dan knows more about jazz than most of us, he can be genuinely witty, and he is fully capable of pulling a leg and stopping short of amputation.

Look at the below listing from The Biographical Encyclopedia of Jazz and you will see that Dan's accomplishments speak for themselves, he does not need to feign homophobia or give a Springer show performance to attract attention on this BBs:

D'IMPERIO, DANNY (DANIEL LOUIS), drums; born in Sidney, NY, March 14, 1945. His father was pianist Robert D'Imperio, his grandfather and two sons are also professional musicians. Began on piano, then took up trumpet, and switched to drums after hearing Louis Bellson with the Dorsey Brothers Orchestra. First professional gig was with his father's band, at age 12; father also introduced him to musicians, including Spiegle Wilcox, Pee Wee Hunt. Played with local bands in Syracuse, 1957-62, then with Salt City Six, '62; Jimmy Cavallo, '63; played bass with Pee Wee Hunt, '63; Vince Falcone-Tony Leonardi, '64; Salt City Six, '64-5. In Army '65-8, played with Army bands. After discharge, he spent six months as house drummer at Three Rivers Inn, Syracuse, NY, then played with Dana Valery, '69-70; the Glenn Miller Orchestra, '70-2; Gap Mangione, '73; Maynard Ferguson, '74-5; Woody Herman, ‘76-7, including the 40th Anniversary Carnegie Hall Concert; Tony Bennett, '78; Barry Kiener, Andy Mackintosh, '79; Eddie Jefferson-Richie Cole, '80; Gap Mangione, '81; Louis Armstrong Alumni Band, '82. House drummer at Eddie Condon's, NYC '83-5. Replaced Buddy Rich in Rich's big band after leader suffered heart attack '83, then organized and led Metropolitan Bopera House, '83-6. House drummer at club in Marco Island, FL '86-7, then toured with the Buddy Rich band following its leader's death. Has led his own groups and freelanced in NYC since '88, including Gene Krupa Legend with Anita O’Day, ‘89; Les Elgart Band, ‘89-90; Anita O’Day, ‘91; Village Vanguard Orch., ‘96. Favs: PJ Jones, Blakey, Sonny Payne. Fests: Newport Jazz Festival-NY '74; Belvedere Jazz Festival '74; Kool Jazz Festival-Honolulu '77; Sacramento Jazz Festival '84; JVC Jazz Festival '88; Toronto de Maurier Jazz Festival, ‘93 and ‘95. TV: Mike Douglas show with Woody Herman, Maynard Ferguson, Liza Minelli, Tony Bennett; David Letterman with John Pizzarelli, ‘97; PBS with Ferguson, Herman, Della Reese. CDs: Sackville, VSOP; with his own group, Met. Bopera House (VSOP); Ferguson (Columbia); John Pizzarelli/Don Sebesky Orch. (RCA); the Glenn Miller Reunion Band (LaserLight); Anita O’Day (Disques Swing).

It's true that one's cognitive and creative abilities are not necessarily affected by alcohol. My father's weren't. But he did say things and do things, when he was drinking, that he was much too tactful and kind to say and do, when sober.

The stereotypical drunk in the gutter, down and out, is true of only a small fraction of those who are dedicated to the grape and the grain. The others walk among us. I don't pretend to understand alcoholism, or any other addiction, but I do know what it's like to live with it.

Nobody is questioning, as far as I know, Dan's musical ability. It's a given.

The caged tiger is being umbrella'd and it's just not wise to go into a battle of wits, unarmed. :rolleyes::D:D

Edited by patricia

In this case, it is also a self-destructive, unnecessary act, because there is far more attention to be garnered by this troll.....

I refer you once again to the rules regarding "GOADING".

If the rules are to be enforced....CHRISTIERN'S posting priviledges are to be suspended effective IMMEDIATLEY!!

Thank you for listening.

DEEP

(and Patricia, I think the subtlety of this exchange is going WAY OVER YOUR HEAD....please put your glasses on and review)

Edited by DEEP (GET ME OUT OF MY SKULL)

The saintly patricia is a blessing to all of us.

But I still love ya, LDB, you crazy guy! :w

CLIT,

CLASP !!

I'll be sending you the latest Big Band Bloviation CD as soon as it's finished so you handle Chuk Niles at KLON please. You're gonna dig this one.

BTW: Are you on the left or right in your Avatar??

LDB (Little Drummer Boy) / DEEP

LDB

Chuck loves the first one and plays it refularly. Last time the program diector asked for a copy.

Dig?

HOP B)

CLIT,

CLASP ! CLASP ! CLASP !

We're gonna do the final mix next week at Nola Studio in NYC after which we'll go to artwork and liner notes. I was hoping that Chris A would do the complete notes this time since his pal, Lew Tabackin, is one of the featured guests. I guess that hope is out the window as a result of the way he's been fretting and strutting across the stage here at AAJ...BASICALLY SIGNIFYING NOTHING!! (That's from Shakespeare...duh!)

Soooo.....are you on the right or left in that picture??

LDB (DEEP)

Hey Deep (Danny): I dug the first Bloviation Big Band CD (even wrote a review of it). Can you give us a run-down of tunes and personnel on the new one?

Thanks

ASCOTT,

We're gonna include three tunes that were in the can from the first session featuring Barry Harris, Eric Alexander and Peter Bernstein.

They are:

Groovin' High, Yardbird Suite and Ceora (Lee Morgan).

We are adding five tunes from a session we did on Nov. 10th of this year.

Sweet Georgia Upside Down (Lew Tabackin) and Bill's Blues (Tabackin)

Foxhunt (featuring Gisbert & Persad)

Brotherhood of Man (Featuring Gisbert & Gary Smulyan)

Come Rain or Come Shine (Featuring Dennis "HOBART" Dotson)

Believe me when I say it has that New York feel.

I'm really not interested in slick Bob Florence type arrangements. Arrangers nowdays are getting so fucking carried away they have bass players playin' flute parts and trumpet players playing bass trombone parts.

Nothing is overarranged on anything I do. I'm goin' for the blowin' and trust me...THESE MOTHERFUCKERS CAN BLOW!!

DEEP