Philly Joe Jones - Stablemates

mjzee

On the CD reissue of the Philly Joe Jones album "Drums Around The World," there's a previously unissued version of Stablemates. In the liner notes, Keepnews said he found it in an unmarked box. There was once a thread (was it here or on the BNBB?) that stated this was from an entirely different session that wasn't even PJJ's. Does anyone remember this thread?

I remember the thread but I wouldn't know how to find it.

I can tell you that I'm 99% sure the track is an out-take from the session that yielded the first side of Ernie Henry's Last Chorus. One of the things I remember about the thread is how absurd it was that Keepnews claimed that Cannonball was immediately recognizable on the 'mystery' track, when in fact it is Ernie.

Bertrand.

I remember the thread but I wouldn't know how to find it.

I can tell you that I'm 99% sure the track is an out-take from the session that yielded the first side of Ernie Henry's Last Chorus. One of the things I remember about the thread is how absurd it was that Keepnews claimed that Cannonball was immediately recognizable on the 'mystery' track, when in fact it is Ernie.

Bertrand.

No, it was Paul Desmond. :crazy:

Slightly off-topic but I just swoon every time I hear the Dameronia voicings of the ensemble on "Stablemates," which also contains one of my favorite mistakes of all time. On the bridge of the first chorus, in the third bar, Lee Morgan splatters the melody note (concert E-flat). It's kind of a glorious clam. He's playing really hard and going for it, and at least to my ears, it comes off as a quintessential, soulful hard bop moment. I have, on the other hand, wondered why they didn't do another take; or maybe this was the cleanest version they got. In any case, that would have never made it onto a Blue Note LP. You can hear it on the sample at Amazon. It's track No. 2: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UBQQ70/ref=dm_sp_alb

Edited by Mark Stryker

Slightly off-topic but I just swoon every time I hear the Dameronia voicings of the ensemble on "Stablemates," which also contains one of my favorite mistakes of all time. On the bridge of the first chorus, in the third bar, Lee Morgan splatters the melody note (concert E-flat). It's kind of a glorious clam. He playing really hard and going for it, and at least to my ears, it comes off as a quintessential, soulful hard bop moment. I have, on the other hand, wondered why they didn't do another take; or maybe this was the cleanest version they got. In any case, that would have never made it onto a Blue Note LP. You can hear it on the sample at Amazon. It's track No. 2: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UBQQ70/ref=dm_sp_alb

Perfect description. I remember that moment from way back when but never really thought of it as a clam, even though... -- anymore than I thought of Ernie Henry as being out of tune.

Yes I remember this thread, I started it because I didn't believe what Keepnews wrote about this take of Stablemates and thought he was totally off the mark! No way this was Cannonball. I remember the guy who runs the Cannonball disco on the web participated and confirmed.

Meanwhile this finding is common knowledge - see the Ernie Henry discography.

Edited by mikeweil