BLINDFOLD TEST #4 - DISCUSSION

JSngry

One request, please -

If you know exactly what a cut is, please don't reveal it directly here. Post an AMG link or something like that. Let's keep the guessing, and therefore the thinking and the discussing, going as long as possible. If you know who some of the artist(s) are, but not the specific album, fine, throw it on out there. What I'm talking about is the EXACT revealing of a cut. Be discreet, ok? ;)

I hope I didn't go too far - I'm afraid I did not read that initial post carefully enough - I'll do better next time. My apologies, if appropriate. :(

just don't do it on the next test, pal :bwallace:

;)

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suggestion : Maybe the solutions shouldn't be revealed until a set time passes without a post on the discussion thread...say 24 hrs or 48 hrs - whatever. The "Disc Master" can have the answers ready at his convenience - announce the time limit - and then keep it on his "notepad" ready to go.

One request, please -

If you know exactly what a cut is, please don't reveal it directly here. Post an AMG link or something like that. Let's keep the guessing, and therefore the thinking and the discussing, going as long as possible. If you know who some of the artist(s) are, but not the specific album, fine, throw it on out there. What I'm talking about is the EXACT revealing of a cut. Be discreet, ok? ;)

I hope I didn't go too far - I'm afraid I did not read that initial post carefully enough - I'll do better next time. My apologies, if appropriate. :(

I think I might have done the same thing earlier in the discussions...I hope I didn't post to much. Apologies if I did.

2-11: Included entirely for the message of the lyrics as it pertains to the many facets of jazz, in case anybody's wondering why it's here. That and the fact that I like it!  :g  Not even REMOTELY Zappa, Although...there is a indirect link to him vis-a-vis the production. But mainly, it's the truth of the lyrics as it pertains to life (and therefore music) that is why it was included.

That's all!

Was J.G.W. associated with Zappa? According to a friend who has the recent reissue, that's who the producer is. Obviously, I'm not a Zappa afficianado.

Zappa often cited JGW as a seminal influence. This would have been in JGW's earlier, more "pure" Blues/R&B days in the 1950s.

oh, c'mon! it's slowly but surely time to get them solutions anyway, no?

can't wait to know what some of the tracks really are...

ubu

It's going to take me some time to write commentary (in the tradition of the BFT thus far, a tradition I like) for the initial answer post. I've got a busy week and weekend ahead, and realistically, Sunday or Monday will be the earliest I can get that done to my satisfaction.

So hang tight. there's still some people who haven't posted ANYTHING (shame on you! ;) ), and I'm sending out two more copies by Express Mail this afternoon. So let's give it the rest of this week to drain it dry, ok?

I can say, though, that only ONE selection has not been at least roughly identified! Which one that is, though, I'll NOT say... :w:w:w

I haven't looked at any of this thread so far , but i just wanted to add my thoughts,I'm sure i'll just be repeating what others have said - so if you read on be prepared to shout 'Yes WE know' after every couple of lines .

I'm only going to mention those i liked or that i have a clue what they might be...

Disc 1

Track 1 - Dont know who it is but cant wait to find out who - great choice :tup:tup

Tarck 3 - Really liked the alto playing .

Track 5 - is http://www.funky-stuff.com/ (hey i bet nobody got that one :D )

I like anything by him , but i've never heard him sin g a tune quite like this one - its all good tough.

Track 7 . I know the tune i'm sure its originally by http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=B51ug6j7771u0

but i cant put my finger on which one it is . I really like this version & the way it builds up yo the main theme . Is it by http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=B5usyxdgbjolk ? (a guess)

Track 12 . FANTASTIC . the only music i've ever heard like this before is by

http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Delta/8835/art.html

or maybe http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll

but it definately sounds like the 1st one.

Disc 2

Track 1 - I'm clueless as to who it is - but is that Nature Boy being quoted occaisonaly ??

Track 3 - HEY ONE I KNOW WHO IT IS & ITS NOT JAZZ - what does that tell you .

Its http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Asq6atro9klkx

Its track 3 - my favourite track from one of my favourite albums - top quality.

If you dont know the story of this LP its worth looking it up (then do yourself a favour & buy it!).

Track 8 - I know the tune is

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...509&sql=H325141

but i dont know who this version is by - but i like it alot.

Thanks for the discs JIM - I've really enjoyed them

Edited by Gary

The more I listen to Disc 1, track 4, the more I imagine plaid jackets and mutton chops.  This is definitely not my area of expertise, but didn't some of the older bandleaders like Woody and Harry James attempt to get funkified back in the early 70's?

Okay, since I posted that, two others have suggested Woody Herman's band. I did a search, and couldn't find any album title (why do I get the feeling Jim planned it that way <_< ), but I did find this:

see: "Sex..."

So, it looks like Herman did record it.

What I don't quite "get" is why nobody else seems to have recognized the tune (although I'll admit it's not the most distinctive composition).

f33910bm0s5.jpg

Nobody else had this? :huh: Am I THAT old? (don't answer that! :g )

Edited by Jim R

DISC ONE

01 "Ask Me Now." Very pretty piano intro. Had me fooled, then the band came in BIG! Nice, if a little dry.

02 I like the different styles the pianist incorporates into this, mostly stride though, right? Nice use of handclaps and I really like the rhythm. Doesn't hold up too much after repeated listens unfortunately. Fun.

03 Call of the wild! The horn riff behind the sax solo reminds me of Mingus. Parts of the arrangement sound like Mingus too, but I don't think this is a Mingus tune. Maybe some Mingus dynasty?

04 Off the bat, reminds me of David Murray Octet. I don't think that's who it is though. Electric bass? Big band rock n roll. Roll on. Triplets rock. Hey guitar man! He plays the tone well.

05 Ladies and gentlemens, from Macon Jawjah, ah James BROWN! I listened to a lot of early JB in college. Ray Charles from that era too. This was before I had to know everything about every album we were listening to. I wish I had paid more attention now, since it was all my roomates. That's my desiiiiiii...

06 Sounds like something from a Disney movie. Wow. That voice! I know I've heard it. I bet my Grandfather would know at the first breath who that is. Becky and Susan too. They love that game. Turn on the 100-disc changer and call out every tune! Ha. Some of them are terrible though... New Christy Minstrels? What the???! This is gorgeous. My generation lacks this lush melodrama.

07 Reminds me of an album of standards duets I have between Anthony Braxton and Ran Blake. "Little Rootie Tootie!"

08 Oh-gan! The tenor is very strong. The electric bass is ok. Good solo, for what its worth. I'd rather hear Duvivier soloing on upright, but...

09 Reminds me of Milford Graves, but Southern as hail! He ain't afraid to break away from the central rhythm, and some of his jibba-jabba sounds an awful lot like Milford. Voice is different, the drumming isn't as full as Milford's typically is. I can't quite make out enough of the talk, but it sounds like some sort of folk tale.

10 Good NIGHT!

11 Definitely Jim Europe. I remember hearing this for the first time in contrast to the AEC. I think I listened to this, then "Tutankhamun." AEC was obviously much more advanced, but this Jim Europe stuff had to have influenced them.

12 There you go! Ha! I'm not familiar with this tune. Still don't have the NESSA box. Jarman and Malachi are ferocious. STEP IN LINE! Chicago has so much to offer. Wow, I'm going to have to listen to that one again loud. The end reminds me of Sun Ra's drummers taking the planet Earth into a black hole.

13 Ugly beauty. A blunt lullabye.

14 ooooOOOOh. My Grandaddy would love this. Three trumpets? Two saxophones? A trombone? A clarinet? He is always so good at identifying the different big band sections. He loves to talk about the things bandleaders used to do with their horn sections. He's not much of a modernist though. Brubeck's Take Five album is crap. That drummer is a workhorse. ba-dum-baa

15 What flavor is this? Sugar-free? What do I want with sugar free cookies? Syrup. Syrup will make everything better. Sugar:Tenor's tone.

1-3: Don't know why I came up with Jimmy Woods & Gerald Wilson. It's obviously a small group. That's what comes from listening in my car - the arrangement (and my lazy listening) made it seem like more horns than there are. The piano reminds me a bit of Mal Waldron. This and especially 1-1 are driving me nuts. The pianist on 1-1 sounds so familiar, but I can't pin it down. Damn!

Okay here it goes. :huh:

Disc 1

1-1 I've listened to it probably twenty times and still have no real answer. The piano intro is very sweet to my ears and sounds like Duke Ellington or even Bill Evans. Some have mentioned Cedar Walton and Horace Silver and it could be. It does sound like something from the later days of someone, but who that person is, I'm not sure. So I'm throwing in for Mal Waldron on the piano. The sax is another mystery, at first I was thinking Booker Ervin, but it lacks a certain thing Booker always seemed to do. ;)

So I'm falling back on J.R. Monterose or Jerome Richardson. To me the trumpet sounds as if it might be Freddie Hubbard.

1-2 I have no idea, but I dig the tune and the beat.

1-3 No clue

1-4 I thought I heard Pepper Adams in there. :wacko:

1-5 No idea

1-6 Rosemary Clooney?

1-7 I thought this might be Jaki Byard.

1-8 Could be Houston Person on tenor.

1-9 No idea again, sorry.

1-10 Buddy Rich? Gene Krupa?

1-11 and 1-12 Still drawing a blank.

1-13 Sounds like it might be Woody Herman's band, is that perhaps Stan Getz or any of the four brothers?

1-14 I hear Getz again, Art Pepper? Paul Desmond?

1-15 I'm guessing Milt Jackson or Hamp. The piano sounds like Teddy Wilson.

Sorry Jim, I know this is weak.

Edited by catesta

Weak is OK. Better than Ok, really. And besides, you nailed one, and would have nailed half of a second with a more decisive guess!

But again - "guessing" is not necessarily the object of the game. Discussing is at least as important, and I think we'll have a lively discussion or two once the answers are revealed. One's brewing already!

Disc 2 was filled with many surprises, some good, some not so... ;)

2-1 Not for me.

2-2 Still beyond me.

2-3 Does sound like Marvin.

2-4 _____________

2-5 I thought this was Basie.

2-6 I thought this was Basie without Fredde Green. ;)

2-7 No clue.

2-8 Now this one sounds like Ellington, wait a minute is that Basie, and do I hear Lester?....

2-9 Sorry, but no answer.

2-10 Funky as hell, I loved it and I wish I knew. T-Bone Walker meets Rufus? :g

2-11 No notes made. :blink:

I know Mr. Sangrey this is even weaker, but I'm willing to lay money down that my discussions and guesses will be better informed once I have the answers. ;)

Thanks for opening my ears on some stuff. :tup

Edited by catesta

I'm willing to lay money down that my discussions and guesses will be better informed once I have the answers. ;)

Hmmm... a new format awaits - post the answers (artists names only) in advance of distribution, but not in order. The game would then be to figure out which cut is which.

Might not be as easy as it sounds!

I'm willing to lay money down that my discussions and guesses will be better informed once I have the answers.  ;)

Hmmm... a new format awaits - post the answers (artists names only) in advance of distribution, but not in order. The game would then be to figure out which cut is which.

DON'T YOU GET ANY OF THEM WEIRD STRANGE IDEAS LIKE POSTIN' THEM DAMN ANSWERS OUT OF ORDER YOU VERMIN!!!!! :rmad::rmad:

;)

Edited by couw

Suggestion : Maybe the solutions shouldn't be revealed until a set time passes without a post on the discussion thread...say 24 hrs or 48 hrs - whatever. The "Disc Master" can have the answers ready at his convenience - announce the time limit - and then keep it on his "notepad" ready to go.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why not relegate all "answers" to a dedicated answers thread? Then those who are interested can post sure answers any time-- no one is forced to look at the answer thread until they are read, the person who compiled the disc can post the answers after a reasonable time, and stragglers are not left out in the cold if they can't "keep up"?

ooh yeah i like that. kind of that columnar elementary school test where you draw the diagonal lines in between each corresponding answer. :tup