LF: John Coltrane - Om (CD)

Well...on the off chance this might exist in Japan, I sent Hiroshi an email asking if had, or could get, a copy. He didn't think it had ever been released individually! So let me ask this: does anyone EVEN HAVE this? Allmusic.com indicates a 1989 and a 1994 release--but are they really out there?

I have this in a 2000 release from Japan, a K2 remastered (very nice sounding) jewel case cd, MVCZ-10097. This is part of an excellent K2 series of remasters that weren't too expensive at that time. They were imported to the US by Tower and a few other chains.

Well...on the off chance this might exist in Japan, I sent Hiroshi an email asking if had, or could get, a copy. He didn't think it had ever been released individually! So let me ask this: does anyone EVEN HAVE this? Allmusic.com indicates a 1989 and a 1994 release--but are they really out there?

Hiroshi apparently forgot about the 1987 Japanese CD reissue in the 32XD series and the 1992 CD reissue, MCA/Impulse! MVCI-23061; I have that one (and am not going to sell it). I think it was also released in the later 20-bit remastered MVCJ-19xxx series and maybe also in the MVCZ series. I don't know if there was a mini-LP sleeve version in the UCCI series.

There are several copies on Amazon Japan, here. Maybe someone in Japan or Hiroshi can help you get one; why don't you mail him the link to the Amazon Japan page and ask him.

Edited by J.A.W.

Thanks, John--I have that, but I am specifically looking for a single-disc issue of this, for a number of reasons.

If Universal ever gets around to it, this would probably end up in Volume 4 of the John Coltrane Impulse Albums boxed sets.

Would like to see this set soon!

Ray Mizutani, of "Mundo", Japan, is listing the MVCJ one here

http://www.mediawars.ne.jp/~mundo/collect/file/j-coltrane.html

Those 20-bit MVCJs are very good, and it's a shame they are not constantly available, along with the Japanese mini-LP versions.

I haven't heard this particular version, being content with the copy in the U.S. "Major Works" 2 CD set.

Ray Mizutani, of "Mundo", Japan, is listing the MVCJ one here

http://www.mediawars.ne.jp/~mundo/collect/file/j-coltrane.html

Those 20-bit MVCJs are very good, and it's a shame they are not constantly available, along with the Japanese mini-LP versions.

I haven't heard this particular version, being content with the copy in the U.S. "Major Works" 2 CD set.

In my experience Ray Mizutani (Mundo) often lists CDs on his site that he can't really supply because they are no longer available. Besides, his prices (in U.S. dollars) are pretty high compared to what others, like Hiroshi and CD Japan, charge.

I know there's alot of love here for Hiroshi. How does he compare with CD Japan as far as price, reliability, and shipping charges go? Any help would be appreciated.

What is the general consensus on CD Japan??? Do they operate like the Tower (Caiman) of the Far East, or are they reliable and legit?

Hiroshi Tanno and CD Japan are both legit (why wouldn't they be?) and reliable; they offer excellent service, with reasonable prices. They're nothing like Caiman. By the way, on Hoffman's site someone posted a message from Tower's president, which stated that Tower had broken off all relations with Caiman.

Edited by J.A.W.

I have the American MCA/Impulse edition (found for $5 used!!!). I think its the '89 edition (no inidcation that it is, just a hunch) because its in a jewel case (I think the mid-nineties were the digi-pak issues and I don't believe OM was reissued in that series). If I knew how to burn it, I would, but it seems like you're interested in the original packaging.

Hope that helps.

HG

Mundo has always been able to supply the CDs that I have wanted from their site. In the case of this rare CD, it's surely a case of grab it from whoever can supply it.

Really, though, even though I like all the late Trane when I'm in the mood, this performance is just a damn noise, lol.

Mundo has always been able to supply the CDs that I have wanted from their site.

I have ordered CDs that were listed on Ray Mizutani/Mundo's site several times, but seven times out of ten he was not able to supply them. The CD stocklists of many artists on his site haven't been updated in ages.

Edited by J.A.W.

And my (admittedly limited) experience with Mundo is similar to Hans'--the CD was listed as "in stock," but was in fact not available and "backordered." Fortunately, Hiroshi was able to find me a new copy--so I'm good!

Mundo has always been able to supply the CDs that I have wanted from their site.

I have ordered CDs that were listed on Ray Mizutani/Mundo's site several times, but seven times out of ten he was not able to supply them. The CD stocklists of many artists on his site haven't been updated in ages.

Well, wherever you can get it.

But, as I said, Ray has always been able to send me the CDs I've wanted.

In the case of the old MVCJ CDs, it's unlikely that many are still available new, or even on eBay.

Lol, with a session like this, the sound quality of the CD sure isn't an issue.

Sounds like you have one on the way. Oddly enough, the Verve single-CD edition just showed up in the new arrival bin at Reckless Records. I don't recall ever seeing that format before, but I wasn't ever looking for it either. ^_^

Om was included in the collection The Major Works of John Coltrane, but apart from that set it was only issued on single CDs on the Impulse! label.

Edited by J.A.W.