Roger Ebert: The Essential Man

I think Ebert has taken a lot of undeserved flak through his career, solely because he happened to be on a television show. If you really want to get the feel for his love of movies, I highly recommend the audio commentary on the Citizen Kane video.

Yeah, that's a very good commentary. He also provided a nice commentary to one of the editions of "Casablanca."

And now he has his voice back. Computerized still, but the Edinburgh company had a deep database of his speaking voice to work with thanks to his shows. I can't imagine what that'd be like.

I haven't had a chance to watch him "speaking" on Oprah, but I will try tonight. On his blog he said that the shows themselves were pretty useless, since Gene was always interrupting him or there was noise from the film playing in the background! The voice comes almost entirely from 6 or 7 DVD commentaries he did, since they were recorded as clean, separate tracks.

Ran into him in an elevator at the Toronto Film Festival. Asked him a question about a flattering review he'd done of one of our films: he responded by writing on a small note pad he keeps at hand and then showing me the answer. Also gave me a thumbs up on mention of the film. Nice to get a personal one.

Years ago he wrote a great short book about the Cannes Film Festival called 2 Weeks in the Sun (Or something like that.)

In the '70s I used to encounter him regularly at bars - usually John Barleycorn on Lincoln Avenue (they had fantastic cheddar burgers). :-) Later I met him at a few parties. Back then he was an alcoholic, but a very mellow fellow. I have some fond memories. No doubt, he would not remember me.

I really admire his current attitude and wish him the best.

Now I thought you were referring to this story (same issue): http://www.latimes.com/business/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-us-film-3d-drama,0,7668113.story

Ebert tells us he doesn't like 3-D in virtually all cases. I wholeheartedly agree and would go further to say that 3-D is an abomination. I will not go see a movie in 3-D, not even Avatar, and if they start releasing movies in just 3-D with no 2-D option, I simply won't go. Similarly, I think 3-D TV is the stupidest idea out there and if it becomes widespread to the point where everything is broadcast in 3-D, I will simply pull the plug and go without. I have a lifetime's worth of movies to watch (or watch again) anyway, so I don't think I'll be missing out on too much.

:tup :tup :tup

I believe that if, at the end of it all, according to our abilities, we have done something to make others a little happier, and something to make ourselves a little happier, that is about the best we can do. To make others less happy is a crime. To make ourselves unhappy is where all crime starts. We must try to contribute joy to the world. That is true no matter what our problems, our health, our circumstances. We must try. I didn't always know this, and am happy I lived long enough to find it out.

I like the link to the old Siskel and Ebert show. I am sure that Ebert is a fine person. However, his elevation to angelic status strikes me as too limiting, selling him too short. In the heyday of the Siskel and Ebert shows, he was a prickly fighter--the shows often degenerated into nearly abusive shouting matches. Siskel and Ebert were passionate about their beliefs and were quite willing to be not so nice in expressing themselves. To depict Ebert now as a sort of holy man paints too thin a picture of him, in my opinion.

I think Ebert has taken a lot of undeserved flak through his career, solely because he happened to be on a television show. If you really want to get the feel for his love of movies, I highly recommend the audio commentary on the Citizen Kane video.

Yeah, that's a very good commentary. He also provided a nice commentary to one of the editions of "Casablanca."

Amen to that. I thought the job he turned in on Casablanca was about as good as audio commentary can get. Lots of interesting insights, the sort of fascinating minutia that separates the pros like Ebert from us amateurs.