Favorite Dylan Covers

Sundog

FIRST: NO NO NO NO NO NO covers "Knockin' On Heaven's Door." Pleeeeeez? NONE, NONE, EVER, none. It's sooooooooo over, dudes and the exceptions do NOT make up for the drivel we've had to suffer through for thirty years now. Please watch "Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid" again if yr needin' a fix.

:tup:tup:tup

my words!

ubu

I dunno...Zevon's version is pretty fucking heartwrenching.

There's always Jakob Dylan-- never mind.

How about Nina Simone doing "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues"?

Or if you want BAD: Indigo Girls doing "Tangled Up in Blue" (which isn't quite as horrifying as their cover of Neil Young on the same album). Or Guns and Roses doing "Knockin' On Heaven's Door"...

Many people strongly dislike the Edie Brickell & the New Bohemians version of " A Hard Rain Is Gonna Fall" but I always liked it. Haven't heard it in 6 or 7 years though, so I have no idea if it holds up.

Someone has a blistering version of Maggie's Farm, but I'm totally blanking on the artist.

Although almost everyone, of every genre of music has covered Dylan in one form or another, I still think that The Byrds and Peter Paul and Mary epitomized his music. I still can't hear "Don't Think Twice" by PP&M without tearing up.

But, I like his own version of "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Come", as well as the ONLY version worth listening to of "Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat". Who else could write, or perform lines like:

"It sat on her head like a mattress on a bottle of wine"

Still makes me smile. :D

Solomon Burke also did "Maggie's Farm", originally as a non-album B-side for Atlantic in the '60s but it's more recently shown up on various compilations. Besides Jimi, my favorite Dylan coverors are the Band, who completely understand what the're doing since they co-wrote some and worked with the man himself, and the Hollies who understood none of it so they just played and sang it as best they could. Oh, and Elvis P. also did a pretty mean "Don't Think Twice" but my understanding is that Dylan shouldn't [can't believe I left the "n't" out!] really take full credit for that one.

Edited by danasgoodstuff

Besides Jimi, my favorite Dylan coverors are the Band, who completely understand what the're doing since they co-wrote some and worked with the man himself,

I've always liked the Band's own songs much more than their Dylan covers. I bought the Basement Tapes for their performances and their songs, which not only make at least a little more sense than Bob-o's do, but also are just plain more interesting. I know I'm in the minority, but I find there to be way too much Dylan worship as it is

The Byrds' versions of "Tambourine Man" and "My Back Pages" are major masterpieces. But I also really enjoy their covers of "Chimes of Freedom", "Spanish Harlem Incident", and "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere". Pack up your money, pull up your tent, McGuinn, you ain't going nowhere... :P

The Band's first album also has a few incredible Dylan covers -- not sure if "Tears of Rage" counts since it was cowritten with Richard Manuel, but "I Shall Be Released" definitely does.

Guy